There are 277 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Our D needs a major adjustment. Some of those 3rd down conversions yesterday were completely awful. 3rd and 12 and 3rd and 18 stick out in my mind.

I cant stand when they give up long 3rd downs.
I still wouldn't mind seeing Wilks go if they can find a good replacement. I have to admit that he changed things up in the 2nd half so that shows he can adjust. I saw D linemen moving around more and LBs filling the gaps. They played a little more man instead of that zone with wide open gaps. I saw Chase Young move from end to the middle of the line occasionally and stand up in one of the gaps.

This creativity is going to be needed in the SB if they want to stop the Chiefs.
Lots and lots and lots of missed tackles last night. Championship defense can't have much of that.
All i gotta say is, as pissed as I was in the first half, props for this man to making the correct adjustments and to the players for executing in half 2. I'm sure they'll have something ready in 2 weeks, I'd like to see the swagger we saw it the 2nd half
Originally posted by BP13:
All i gotta say is, as pissed as I was in the first half, props for this man to making the correct adjustments and to the players for executing in half 2. I'm sure they'll have something ready in 2 weeks, I'd like to see the swagger we saw it the 2nd half

I saw little adjustment. Just drops by the Detroit WRs and a nice play by Gipson to force a fumble.

Win or lose the 9ers need to move on from Wilks. There is no history to show he will improve. He's not a young coach who needs time.
2 weeks in row in the playoffs this defense getting pummeled early and often. Can't bring that to the SB and think they gonna win with defense.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Our D needs a major adjustment. Some of those 3rd down conversions yesterday were completely awful. 3rd and 12 and 3rd and 18 stick out in my mind.

I cant stand when they give up long 3rd downs.

We should probably go offsides until it is around 3rd and 5.
I keep hearing about how the D adjusted last night. Do people watch the game? Detroit had players running open the entire 2nd half. Drops were huge with Detroit last night and Goff missed some throws he should have made.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I keep hearing about how the D adjusted last night. Do people watch the game? Detroit had players running open the entire 2nd half. Drops were huge with Detroit last night and Goff missed some throws he should have made.

There were some good contested stops, but yes there were drops. We can't let Mahomes be that comfortable and we can't allow our defense to be that bad at any point in the game. With that said I think our offense can put up points and control the clock vs KC.
[ Edited by titan on Jan 29, 2024 at 8:21 AM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
is it possible to change the game plan in the 2nd or do you really have to wait until the 3rd?

I honestly don't know how it works in the NFL>

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I still wouldn't mind seeing Wilks go if they can find a good replacement. I have to admit that he changed things up in the 2nd half so that shows he can adjust. I saw D linemen moving around more and LBs filling the gaps. They played a little more man instead of that zone with wide open gaps. I saw Chase Young move from end to the middle of the line occasionally and stand up in one of the gaps.

This creativity is going to be needed in the SB if they want to stop the Chiefs.

As a defensive guy it drives me nuts when people compliment wilks going to man.
i hope people realize that man is the formation in which we keep getting burned and that yes on every one of those 3 and long conversions we were in man.

we do not have the talent at corner to run man.
the offensive schemes that most teams run are set up to beat man coverage.

even the announcers noticed that on that last 4th down stop we shifted to zone which is what caused Goff to delay his primary route because it wasn't there.

we need to run more zone defenses and in this day and age more complicated zone concepts not man!

man is what keeps getting our LB chasing a 4.3 slot receiver across the field. Our problem is our Defensive coordinator is too old school to understand or develop better zone concepts.

We don't have the personnel at Db to run man and we scrape by with luck that our two lbs are elite enough to cover as well as they do in man but we don't have the talent or speed at cb or safety to keep playing man.
that's the biggest reason why our defense has regressed with Wilks
I don't recall the Niners running this many fire zone blitzes is one game.
If not for the Lions receivers dropping passes, the defense would probably still be out there right now.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
If not for the Lions receivers dropping passes, the defense would probably still be out there right now.

Here's hoping the Chief wrs revert to their pass dropping ways.
Originally posted by 9er_84:
As a defensive guy it drives me nuts when people compliment wilks going to man.
i hope people realize that man is the formation in which we keep getting burned and that yes on every one of those 3 and long conversions we were in man.

we do not have the talent at corner to run man.
the offensive schemes that most teams run are set up to beat man coverage.

even the announcers noticed that on that last 4th down stop we shifted to zone which is what caused Goff to delay his primary route because it wasn't there.

we need to run more zone defenses and in this day and age more complicated zone concepts not man!

man is what keeps getting our LB chasing a 4.3 slot receiver across the field. Our problem is our Defensive coordinator is too old school to understand or develop better zone concepts.

We don't have the personnel at Db to run man and we scrape by with luck that our two lbs are elite enough to cover as well as they do in man but we don't have the talent or speed at cb or safety to keep playing man.
that's the biggest reason why our defense has regressed with Wilks

Here's the halftime notes

Share 49ersWebzone