Tests confirm 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk suffered season-ending knee injury →

There are 401 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
All that money on the defensive line, and Chris Jones will still probably end up outshining every single one.

Is it coaching or talent?

Will the Chiefs Oline be allowed to hold?

Not sure it really matters.

This d-line is not dominant like the 2019 49ers. The refs don't have to intervene that much
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Warner on Kelce is asking for trouble. He will need help. Thomas is going to be abused as well. Very worried about him.

By who? MVS? Get outta here

Exactly. that dudes catch percentage is like 50%

MVS will probably not get a ton of targets he will get that one or two targets tho, that are like 40-50 yds downfield. He's about 6'5 with speed, so he's built to be a deep threat. When BAL walked up DBs to run stuff at the end, MVS had the catch to effectively end the game.

true but how many has he dropped?
Originally posted by DrEll:
His postgame interview with Maiocco was telling. Said he saw his guys at halftime in the locker room, and knew right then and there they were going to win. WTF ?! No talk about game adjustments, no comments on what they changed. Just talking about players doing their job and everything fell into place.

Now tell me….does that sound like a guy that's going to sit in the labs and come up with a defensive scheme of his lifetime to stop Mahomes ? Or more likely just go with the same vanilla schemes and hope his players make a play ?

What did Bosa say again in his post game presser? That the defense felt helpless !

Wilks is the reason we're not blowing teams out. We've been playing catchup ever since the Ravens game. Nothing's gonna change except the upcoming blowout at the hands of Mahomey and Co.

Doubt we get blown out lol. Mahomes is the best player in football but their offense is the least talented we'll have faced in the playoffs. Hopefully our D can at least be solid in the game, force a mistake or two, and then our offense can carry the game.
Warner on Kelce is asking for trouble. He will need help. Thomas is going to be abused as well. Very worried about him.

MVS will probably not get a ton of targets he will get that one or two targets tho, that are like 40-50 yds downfield. He's about 6'5 with speed, so he's built to be a deep threat. When BAL walked up DBs to run stuff at the end, MVS had the catch to effectively end the game.

Those moments tho when the ball is in the air are gonna be maximum suspense
He's had brutal drops, but I don't think we can trust he will do that vs us, gotta stay on top of him
His postgame interview with Maiocco was telling. Said he saw his guys at halftime in the locker room, and knew right then and there they were going to win. WTF ?! No talk about game adjustments, no comments on what they changed. Just talking about players doing their job and everything fell into place.

Now tell me….does that sound like a guy that's going to sit in the labs and come up with a defensive scheme of his lifetime to stop Mahomes ? Or more likely just go with the same vanilla schemes and hope his players make a play ?

What did Bosa say again in his post game presser? That the defense felt helpless !

Wilks is the reason we're not blowing teams out. We've been playing catchup ever since the Ravens game. Nothing's gonna change except the upcoming blowout at the hands of Mahomey and Co.

How soon into the game til you give up? lol. Maybe don't watch.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Doubt we get blown out lol. Mahomes is the best player in football but their offense is the least talented we'll have faced in the playoffs. Hopefully our D can at least be solid in the game, force a mistake or two, and then our offense can carry the game.

Just make sure we cover Kelce.
There has been a recurring pattern all season where the defense struggles in the first half then tightens up after adjustments are made at halftime. If we can't shut down Mahomes and Reid in the first half then it's going to be very difficult for us to win the game.

What puzzles me is why these adjustments don't seem to be made until halftime. During the first half they should be made after each drive. I thought the whole point of Wilks being on the sidelines instead of the booth was to facilitate easier communication and quick adjustments , but we don't seem to be seeing these until halftime.
Originally posted by PurdyHardRightNow:
There has been a recurring pattern all season where the defense struggles in the first half then tightens up after adjustments are made at halftime. If we can't shut down Mahomes and Reid in the first half then it's going to be very difficult for us to win the game.

What puzzles me is why these adjustments don't seem to be made until halftime. During the first half they should be made after each drive. I thought the whole point of Wilks being on the sidelines instead of the booth was to facilitate easier communication and quick adjustments , but we don't seem to be seeing these until halftime.

We just were fortunate. Great play to poke out a fumble and Detroit had 3 critical drops. Just enough to swing the game.
  • Cosmo
I'm not expecting the best defense in the league, but to give up that much on the ground in a playoff game, something needs to change before the SB. Is it as easy as game planning and play calling, or is it a personnel issue?

We didn't tighten up after halftime. Wide open receivers started dropping the ball, and Goff started throwing a little off target. Wilks got bailed out.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
All that money on the defensive line, and Chris Jones will still probably end up outshining every single one.

This d-line is not dominant like the 2019 49ers. The refs don't have to intervene that much

Of course it f**kin matters!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Of course it f**kin matters!!!

The Chief have been called for holding more than any team thus year. I saw at least 2 yesterday. That along with the WRs are the weak points on the Chiefs.

Ppl act like both games were the same. Let's realize GB and DET are pretty extremely talented on O. GB dominated DAL, who has a lot of great D personnel, and a pretty high end DC. Vs GB, we had em at 6 points at half. Vs DET, we shut them out for 29 mins of 2nd half. So what I am seeing here is a D that clearly has problems, particularly with stopping the run, yet we are also going vast stretches of shutting the other team down. We never fully capitulated, like DAL did. In fact, we are getting 4th down stops over and over. We forced INTs off Love, and we got the key FF vs DET.

So it's a flawed unit, and we are doing our best to overcome some very good football teams, even with Brock looking shaky in first halves of both games. Imagine if we put together a complete game on O, and start strong on O, and can play to our strength, which is play pass D. If you are up a couple scores, you can play the other team right out of their run offense, which eliminates our biggest weakness. This hasn't happened all postseason, yet we keep taking care of business.

Those moments tho when the ball is in the air are gonna be maximum suspense
He's had brutal drops, but I don't think we can trust he will do that vs us, gotta stay on top of him

Thomas will get PId to death. Expect 75 yards or so of Thomas penalties as Mahomes won't take it easy on him. Dude is a huge liability.
Did they fire him yet?
Share 49ersWebzone