Report: 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk suffered torn ACL and MCL, possibly other damage →

There are 322 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
All that money on the defensive line, and Chris Jones will still probably end up outshining every single one.

Is it coaching or talent?

Will the Chiefs Oline be allowed to hold?

Not sure it really matters.

This d-line is not dominant like the 2019 49ers. The refs don't have to intervene that much

Of course it f**kin matters!!!

The Chief have been called for holding more than any team thus year. I saw at least 2 yesterday. That along with the WRs are the weak points on the Chiefs.

Chiefs have a weird way of getting away with murder in the Super Bowl, especially with Bill Vinovich refereeing the game. f**k that guy he seems to alway favor the AFC, I pray to god they change refs before the game.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
We didn't tighten up after halftime. Wide open receivers started dropping the ball, and Goff started throwing a little off target. Wilks got bailed out.

I don't buy this, there was one glaring drop, on 3rd down, and the pass was on the money, Reynolds dropped it. The 4th down play would have been a lil tricky to catch, another miss to Reynolds. He could have caught it, but it wouldn't have been an easy catch. There was another 4th down, where the broadcast said Wilks scheme won the down.

Their drive chart in the 2nd half was:

downs (maybe Reynolds should have had it)
1 play FF
3 and out (clear drop)
downs (4th qtr, and Wilks took Ben Johnson's lunch money)
TD (they needed 11 plays to score, including us blowing up their run play at the goalline, so they had to burn their TO, meaning they can't kick deep)

that's 7 pts, all in more or less garbage time
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I don't buy this, there was one glaring drop, on 3rd down, and the pass was on the money, Reynolds dropped it. The 4th down play would have been a lil tricky to catch, another miss to Reynolds. He could have caught it, but it wouldn't have been an easy catch. There was another 4th down, where the broadcast said Wilks scheme won the down.

1 play FF
3 and out (clear drop)
TD (they needed 11 plays to score, including us blowing up their run play at the goalline, so they had to burn their TO, meaning they can't kick deep)

Wilks made a good playcall on 4th down. His one bright spot.

Aaron Glenn coached circles around Wilks. If he had our talent the game isn't close.

Andy Reid vs Wilks is the biggest mismatch of the whole SB
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

1 play FF
3 and out (clear drop)

Aaron Glenn coached circles around Wilks. If he had our talent the game isn't close.

Aaron Glenn isn't even going against Wilks lol..
Can we get some more of this, Wilks? Totally had me fooled watching it live.

I'm still not sold on Wilks and certainly not impressed.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

His game plans to start can be very questionable....I'll give him this he's been solid with his adjustments when needed.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Can we get some more of this, Wilks? Totally had me fooled watching it live.

This was Wilks putting some ownage on a trendy future HC material OC,
in the 4th qtr,
with the SB on the line

1 play FF
3 and out (clear drop)

Yea, I think he means Ben Johnson. Aaron Glenn's defense gave up 27 points in the 2nd half.

Yah he's going against a better playcaller than Wilks was.

You praise Campbell so much for his aggressiveness and criticize Kyle yet you are a huge fan of the most conservative bland DC in the entire league. Makes zero sense.

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

His game plans to start can be very questionable....I'll give him this he's been solid with his adjustments when needed.

Yea, he had no answers in the first half. Credit to him for finding a way to stop them in some key moments in the 2nd half.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Yea, I think he means Ben Johnson. Aaron Glenn's defense gave up 27 points in the 2nd half.

No I meant what I said. Glenn called a great game. Their players aren't good enough but he put them in positions to stop this team. They couldn't finish because they lack the talent and experience.

Conversely our guy gets beat by the same plays over and over and has no adjustments. It's the same thing on repeat. Rush 4 drop 7 soft. Pass short for big gain or protect up and hit a window. If Reynolds could catch the game is different.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 29, 2024 at 10:57 AM ]

No I meant what I said. Glenn called a great game. Their players aren't good enough but he put them in positions to stop this team. They couldn't finish because they lack the talent and experience.

Conversely our guy gets beat by the same plays over and over and has no adjustments. It's the same thing on repeat. Rush 4 drop 7 soft. Pass short for big gain or protect up and hit a window. If Reynodls could catch the game is different.

It's not no adjustments, look at the 4th down play call my man, instead of just talking nonsense
DET has great players, here's the DET defenders who can play, Hutch, McNeill, Anzalone, (they have so much depth at LB, that Rodriguez, who had a great rook year is on their bench, he picked Brock, also Campbell a round 1 kinda on their bench, I think they both got in when Barnes went down), Branch can play, Melifonwu can play, CJGJ can play. Yeah guys drop balls, them's the brakes, the first half would have been different if the ball didn't go straight to Rodriguez. Of course, we consider that bad 49er D, when they had to deal with the short field..

Conversely our guy gets beat by the same plays over and over and has no adjustments. It's the same thing on repeat. Rush 4 drop 7 soft. Pass short for big gain or protect up and hit a window. If Reynolds could catch the game is different.

Oddly enough rushing 4 is usually the best way to play Mahommes. The problem is guys are still finding monster holes in the zones and the pass rush gets stonewalled often. I feel like we need to try and add some pressure. Maybe do what they did to Lamar etc.
It's not no adjustments, look at the 4th down play call my man, instead of just talking nonsense
DET has great players, here's the DET defenders who can play, Hutch, McNeill, Anzalone, (they have so much depth at LB, that Rodriguez, who had a great rook year is on their bench, he picked Brock, also Campbell a round 1 kinda on their bench, I think they both got in when Barnes went down), Branch can play, Melifonwu can play, CJGJ can play. Yeah guys drop balls, them's the brakes, the first half would have been different if the ball didn't go straight to Rodriguez. Of course, we consider that bad 49er D, when they had to deal with the short field..

Ball went to Rodriguez because their player hit Brocks hand. Was a good play by them.

Wide open receivers dropping balls isn't a credit to the defense.

9ers have great players too and Wilks does not put them in optimum position. Don't stunt enough. Don't blitz enough. Play soft coverage on every play. It's toilet paper soft defense. Takes mistakes by the opposition or the elite talent making plays to make up for this guy.

Win or lose the SB he had to be gone. He is who he is and I'm tired of the talent and offense carrying him.
Share 49ersWebzone