There are 245 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Silky:

Lol
Originally posted by thl408:
He needs to stop wasting his time on twitter and start watching film.

Someone send him a tweet about the jet sweeps.
He doesn't stunt or do anything to put pressure on the QB. He plays Thomas who is a huge liability. He needs to go next year.

we all know when you pressure Goff he's awful, yet Wilks didn't figure this out until possibly the second half.
Waited til 3rd to play man instead of zone. The guys lack of ability to adjust is infuriating.
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
He doesn't stunt or do anything to put pressure on the QB. He plays Thomas who is a huge liability. He needs to go next year.

we all know when you pressure Goff he's awful, yet Wilks didn't figure this out until possibly the second half.

Watch armstead & hargrave. Now, agreed, we don't stunt a bunch, but we do stunt (multiple times vs lions)
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by Seattle49er:
Waited til 3rd to play man instead of zone. The guys lack of ability to adjust is infuriating.

??? His adjustments are the ONLY thing going for him. Adjusting is why the Niners were able to come back and win the last 2 games after falling behind. It's his slow starts and seeming inability to properly game plan that I've hated. Had he not adjusted, Niners season would be over.
Originally posted by Cosmo:
??? His adjustments are the ONLY thing going for him. Adjusting is why the Niners were able to come back and win the last 2 games after falling behind. It's his slow starts and seeming inability to properly game plan that I've hated. Had he not adjusted, Niners season would be over.

The entire first half was same thing over and over, the only thing that changed was Detroits ability to convert longer and longer 3rd and longs. Why wait til you're down 24-7 at the half to make adjustments.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Rex Ryan absolutely bashed our defense today lol. Rightfully so.

"Look if i can sit back and watch TV and tell you what coverage they are in. What is Patrick Mahomes going to be able to do. It's cover four we are going here. It's cover three we are going here."

If a a former successful defensive coach is saying that about Wilks. You got to take that very seriously.

Ugh

not sure how true this is given that we have seen a few plays highlighted where were rotated.

I also doubt Kyle would allow this to continue.

Only reason I would give it credence was because in the game against CIN, Romo was saying the same things and exactly what CIN was going to do based on the poor coverage(s) they were in.
Our D has been crap in both playoff games and we were lucky that the Lions receivers dropped some passes and that Campbell was an idiot on 4th down because we really couldn't stop them by our own.

I just don't undestand how a coordinator that works in the NFL can misjudge an opposite offense so badly that didn't realize that the Lions run run run to set the plass with play-action until the 2nd half of the game after watching that offense on video the entire week.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Our D has been crap in both playoff games and we were lucky that the Lions receivers dropped some passes and that Campbell was an idiot on 4th down because we really couldn't stop them by our own.

I just don't undestand how a coordinator that works in the NFL can misjudge an opposite offense so badly that didn't realize that the Lions run run run to set the plass with play-action until the 2nd half of the game after watching that offense on video the entire week.

if we couldn't stop them on our own, then they are totally correct in going for it on 4th
we can stop them on our own tho, and did
it was a team tale of two halves

Surely the major coverage is on Kelce and Rice. i mean double team those two and let someone else beat you.

If I see Kelce single teamed at any stage, I will be very sick.

We really need to come up with a sold plan of stunts and blitzes and setting up in blitz and then transferring to cover and even 5-man fronts and incorporate it to try and fool Mahomes.

Instead we will have a vanilla type defence that Mahomes could have picked apart at high school.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
if we couldn't stop them on our own, then they are totally correct in going for it on 4th

The first 4th down "stop" was because Reynolds dropped the pass. The second one we were able to stop them I agree.

In total we stopped them 3 times in 10 possessions.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Jan 29, 2024 at 8:07 PM ]

The first 4th down "stop" was because Reynolds dropped the pass. The second one we were able to stop them I agree.

You do realize the Lions were the 3rd best passing offense and 5th best rushing offense in the NFL this year. Not like they were playing the Panthers.

I can count more stops just from memory than you are giving credit

drops are a tricky stat, depends who is counting, go back in this thread and you can look at Bosa pressuring that 4th down,
Goff is not good on the move, and it impacted the play
I don't consider that play a drop, maybe he should have had it, but he's having to lay out, it's not an easy catch

there was a drop from Reynolds on 3rd down, that was egregious, hey Reynolds didn't make the play that happens

our biggest play on O was 50 yards off a DBs face
the DB didn't make the play, and volleyballed it up to BA with his face, hey, we'll take it, right?
I hope wilks will stop playing soft zone coverage…I do not know why he is plays defensive/scared ball, linebackers are 3-5 yards deep than usual…need to make adjustments and bring pressure…see how Gipson forced that fumble at line of scrimmage?? If he n Fred stood 12-15 yards out no way they gonna get that pressure…I hate to see wilks learning/adjustments are coming at the cost of season
Share 49ersWebzone