There are 272 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CaliDesi49er:
I hope wilks will stop playing soft zone coverage…I do not know why he is plays defensive/scared ball, linebackers are 3-5 yards deep than usual…need to make adjustments and bring pressure…see how Gipson forced that fumble at line of scrimmage?? If he n Fred stood 12-15 yards out no way they gonna get that pressure…I hate to see wilks learning/adjustments are coming at the cost of season

coming at the cost of the season? is that the price paid? do tell..
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
The last few games the Defense has been so soft in the first half.

It wasn't like this earlier in the game.

Something changed.
Originally posted by Crown:

Something changed.

Obviously you play top teams with playoffs intensity n must-win pressure

probably it was there but masked as our offense rolled well after bye week
Forget the offense..the defense stepped up in the second half.

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CaliDesi49er:
Originally posted by Crown:

Something changed.

Obviously you play top teams with playoffs intensity n must-win pressure

probably it was there but masked as our offense rolled well after bye week

Perhaps.

But I thought it was really good against cowboys/Eagles/Jags etc.

Seemed to start tailing off after that (not stats per se but the sacks/pressure seemed to decline)
We need to have a very agressive defence

In the first half of both playoff games so far, the defensive players have looked like they are on Prozac.
I don't see how you can consistently get gashed as badly as he does. With the defensive personnel he has. It's unbelievable. He has better personnel than 95% of the teams. It should not be happening.
if Wilks can figure out a way to protect the edges, he's going to be the SB MVP because Andy Reid is planning to rip the wide 9 to shreds.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 29, 2024 at 10:19 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see how you can consistently get gashed as badly as he does. With the defensive personnel he has. It's unbelievable. He has better personnel than 95% of the teams. It should not be happening.

Defensive personnel is not as good as it was last season, or the one before that. It should be more than clear at this point. Look deeper than just blaming Wilks for everything. I have no idea how anybody can make us have the same kind of run defense with this group compared to previous seasons. The samething happened with Houston under Kevin Sampson.
[ Edited by Ark49er on Jan 29, 2024 at 10:29 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for GLT49ers.
Originally posted by Heroism:
if Wilks can figure out a way to protect the edges, he's going to be the SB MVP because Andy Reid is planning to rip the wide 9 to shreds.

The KC running back is going to have 150 yards at the usher halftime(yes I'll be watching usher he the man)

Our run defense is a laibility now.

this Wilks guy has no plans or anything.

Man the opposition WR block our defensive line and Montgomery ran for fun.

We lucky Detroit went away from the run after half time for some stupid reason.

Wilks need to come up with some schemes.
[ Edited by RonnieLott on Jan 29, 2024 at 11:50 PM ]
I think they figured s**t out in the second half, hopefully it continues
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
typical wilks game plan mediocrity, then stellar adjustments at the half...
seems like he just puts up vanilla in the first half to see what they are trying to do then makes the "real" game plan at half time

How is that typical? It's like ppl are treating that game as the typical game. Vs GB, they came in red hot, and had 6 pts in 30 mins. We had 1 score at half and led.

He read my mind. Its like he just runs a base defense and with zero wrinkles to see how the front 4 are holding up, but imo a decent oc and qb see that and just play ball. Its not like they're attacking anything. He needs to try disguises and some crazy stunts quicker and make adjustments more on the fly.

For some reason we use Wide 9 almost no matter the down and distance. That wasn't the case in previous years. Now teams are clearly exploiting it

We have little in the middle now. That's the difference.

Yep, we should draft another DT and move Armstead back to DE.

For the way Wilks uses the D-line, AA may as well play DE. I still prefer him at DT, but it seems like we may want to invest in a strong 2i type player and put AA at end on base downs, then move him inside on pass rushing downs. Back to the 2019 plan.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Rex Ryan absolutely bashed our defense today lol. Rightfully so.

"Look if i can sit back and watch TV and tell you what coverage they are in. What is Patrick Mahomes going to be able to do. It's cover four we are going here. It's cover three we are going here."

If a a former successful defensive coach is saying that about Wilks. You got to take that very seriously.

The defense sucked but his comment could be an exaggeration.

Maybe he wants to be our DC.

Rex would be crazy with these kind of players on defense. This doesn't fit rex, but I definitely want a young up and coming playcaller as our next DC. Hoping Steve Wilks can blend what he does and what DeMeco/Saleh does a little better, as well as maybe bring in a couple of his guys as assistants next year. Not replacing any of our guys, but assistant LB coach, assistant DB coach.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Not sure if posted… but problem solved

let him coach the game of his life and get hype to propel him to a HC job in a year.

this will be Wilk's 3rd run at trying to win a Ring as a coach of some sort.
Share 49ersWebzone