LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 261 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by CaliDesi49er:
I hope wilks will stop playing soft zone coverage…I do not know why he is plays defensive/scared ball, linebackers are 3-5 yards deep than usual…need to make adjustments and bring pressure…see how Gipson forced that fumble at line of scrimmage?? If he n Fred stood 12-15 yards out no way they gonna get that pressure…I hate to see wilks learning/adjustments are coming at the cost of season

coming at the cost of the season? is that the price paid? do tell..

this has literally been our defensive philosophy for years though. Keep the ball in front of us and make the defense move the ball through the air by playing almost perfectly. The biggest issue is the run D this year and i think that's because the EDGE opposite Bosa is not good at setting the EDGE consistently. Once we moved AA there they weren't able to run at all

edit: i will add this is why we allowed 30 TD this year on defense which is second lowest of all teams (ravens in first by a lot- for reference last year we allowed 31 TD which was first in NFL)
[ Edited by ritz126 on Jan 30, 2024 at 7:25 AM ]
Could it be that, since we beat the Eagles by playing 'contain' rather than 'go get em' that Wilks has chosen to play that way across the board? If so...I guess it softens the blow of all the non-calls on holding. LOL!!
I agree that Wilks did a good job of changing things up in the 2nd half. Went to more man coverage and they did a better job of slowing the run.
Originally posted by golfish:
Forget the offense..the defense stepped up in the second half.

Yessir, we dominated DET for the entire 2nd half
good offense, we shut em down

It isn't domination when they drop wide open passes.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

It isn't domination when they drop wide open passes.

There's a luck element, that's on O and D. I mean Brock was throwing cross body circus catch to JJ. And a ball off a DBs face for 50 yards. So yeah luck happens, we'll take all the bounces we can get. A shutout is a shutout. They were essentially shut out in the 2nd half. You mention the drop? It was really one killer drop by Reynolds. What about the sacks? What about the 4th down scheme? What about the Bosa pressure on the other 4th? What about the tackling in the 2nd half? What about the goal line run stuff? What about the fumble forced? You really do sell our guys short. We got some luck both sides of the ball, we also made plays on both sides, big time.
There's a luck element, that's on O and D. I mean Brock was throwing cross body circus catch to JJ. And a ball off a DBs face for 50 yards. So yeah luck happens, we'll take all the bounces we can get. A shutout is a shutout. They were essentially shut out in the 2nd half. You mention the drop? It was really one killer drop by Reynolds. What about the sacks? What about the 4th down scheme? What about the Bosa pressure on the other 4th? What about the tackling in the 2nd half? What about the goal line run stuff? What about the fumble forced? You really do sell our guys short. We got some luck both sides of the ball, we also made plays on both sides, big time.

What does lucky plays on offense have to do with how our defense is playing? Absolutely nothing. Just a total unwillingness to evaluate the level of play of the defense. If our offense is struggling, or getting lucky, that doesn't excuse our defense of substandard play. The reverse is true as well.

I don't sell anybody short. I just don't give the DC all the credit like you do. When it requires bad mistakes from the other team for this defense to make stops I am not impressed by that.

Do you see me giving Kyle all the credit for dominating the Lions in the 2nd half off the back of that helmet play or Brock making plays with his legs? No. That's the difference.

Wilks is an average defensive coordinator with an elite talented team. Problem is in the SB the other 3 coaches are elite at what they do.
My issue is it was obvious everyone could see it was not working early he should not have waited till the second half to make the adjustments.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

What does lucky plays on offense have to do with how our defense is playing? Absolutely nothing. Just a total unwillingness to evaluate the level of play of the defense. If our offense is struggling, or getting lucky, that doesn't excuse our defense of substandard play. The reverse is true as well.

It's a bias I am noticing when ppl are pointing out the D 'got lucky'. The O didn't? Did you watch the QB school? JTO mentions luck a bunch. So yeah, luck is a part of the game. And we got some good luck on both sides. I am reporting reality, and to say the luck was on D, as 4eva put out there, and to not notice it on the other side, is a lil disingenuous. Anyone with eyes watch can say sure, we got lucky on 3rd down when Reynolds had a killer drop. So what? When the ball is bouncing off a DBs face for a huge chunk play, that's probably not how we drew it up either. We'll take it. I reference a slew of plays we actually made in the 2nd half, that weren't luck. To characterize our D in the 2nd half as simply luck, is selling the good efforts of our squad, well short.
It's a bias I am noticing when ppl are pointing out the D 'got lucky'. The O didn't? Did you watch the QB school? JTO mentions luck a bunch. So yeah, luck is a part of the game. And we got some good luck on both sides. I am reporting reality, and to say the luck was on D, as 4eva put out there, and to not notice it on the other side, is a lil disingenuous. Anyone with eyes watch can say sure, we got lucky on 3rd down when Reynolds had a killer drop. So what? When the ball is bouncing off a DBs face for a huge chunk play, that's probably not how we drew it up either. We'll take it. I reference a slew of plays we actually made in the 2nd half, that weren't luck. To characterize our D in the 2nd half as simply luck, is selling the good efforts of our squad, well short.

Who said the offense didn't get lucky? But JT also showed plays that were there and Brock missed out on. That happens.

No one is suggesting the offense dominated the Lions.

No one said the defense got lucky either. You suggested they were dominant.

So say the offense isn't playing as well as we'd like. Don't excuse the defense and pretend they dominated a game when they were the beneficiary of poor execution in the 2nd half of a game in which they put the team in a massive hole with play well below their standard simply because the offense also got lucky.

It's not a competition to compare how our offense and defense are playing against each other. It's just a deflection tactic. It's saying it's ok to have this unit not play well because other units are not playing well. It's the Jimmy G SB argument. Weak as hell.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

So say the offense isn't playing as well as we'd like. Don't excuse the defense and pretend they dominated a game when they were the beneficiary of poor execution in the 2nd half of a game in which they put the team in a massive hole with play well below their standard simply because the offense also got lucky.

It's not a competition to compare how our offense and defense are playing against each other. It's just a deflection tactic. It's saying it's ok to have this unit not play well because other units are not playing well. It's the Jimmy G SB argument. Weak as hell.

You have selective interpretation. Notice I don't say we dominated the game. I say we dominated the 2nd half. We did, on both sides. Why write that I 'pretend we dominated the game'? That's your false interpretation. I clearly said we got em in half 2.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Simply can't afford another soft half in the superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone