LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 247 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Simply put...we need our best in this game.

I feel like our defense tends to play better when facing off against a team with a great defense. You'd think a Superbowl doesn't need extra motivation but surely people saying the Chiefs defense is better should hopefully bring our best.

Andy Reid and Mahomes with a week to prep...Wilks better have his best and our players better play mistake free football.
I'm going to post this play every day until the Superbowl. Maybe Wilks will see it(lol). PLEASE PROTECT THE DAMN EDGES. We can't have our ends with their eyes on the ball and recklessly flying upfield without a plan to protect the edges. Reid is going to exploit this all game amd rip the wide 9 to shreds if Wilks doesn't come in with a plan.

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 30, 2024 at 9:53 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
There's a luck element, that's on O and D. I mean Brock was throwing cross body circus catch to JJ. And a ball off a DBs face for 50 yards. So yeah luck happens, we'll take all the bounces we can get. A shutout is a shutout. They were essentially shut out in the 2nd half. You mention the drop? It was really one killer drop by Reynolds. What about the sacks? What about the 4th down scheme? What about the Bosa pressure on the other 4th? What about the tackling in the 2nd half? What about the goal line run stuff? What about the fumble forced? You really do sell our guys short. We got some luck both sides of the ball, we also made plays on both sides, big time.

What does lucky plays on offense have to do with how our defense is playing? Absolutely nothing. Just a total unwillingness to evaluate the level of play of the defense. If our offense is struggling, or getting lucky, that doesn't excuse our defense of substandard play. The reverse is true as well.

This
Originally posted by Oilcan:
My issue is it was obvious everyone could see it was not working early he should not have waited till the second half to make the adjustments.

He's weak link. I screaming for 5 down the entire first half. You have to get there with 4 to beat Mahommes but amazingly our 4 aren't good enough. He needs 5 down.
Originally posted by socal1632:
Originally posted by Oilcan:
My issue is it was obvious everyone could see it was not working early he should not have waited till the second half to make the adjustments.

He's weak link. I screaming for 5 down the entire first half. You have to get there with 4 to beat Mahommes but amazingly our 4 aren't good enough. He needs 5 down.

He needs to play to remove the run, while containing mahommes and Kelce. If they can do that we have a realistic shot to outscore them. Especially if we are able to run it consistently.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
There's a luck element, that's on O and D. I mean Brock was throwing cross body circus catch to JJ. And a ball off a DBs face for 50 yards. So yeah luck happens, we'll take all the bounces we can get. A shutout is a shutout. They were essentially shut out in the 2nd half. You mention the drop? It was really one killer drop by Reynolds. What about the sacks? What about the 4th down scheme? What about the Bosa pressure on the other 4th? What about the tackling in the 2nd half? What about the goal line run stuff? What about the fumble forced? You really do sell our guys short. We got some luck both sides of the ball, we also made plays on both sides, big time.

What does lucky plays on offense have to do with how our defense is playing? Absolutely nothing. Just a total unwillingness to evaluate the level of play of the defense. If our offense is struggling, or getting lucky, that doesn't excuse our defense of substandard play. The reverse is true as well.

This

It's this false narrative, of the D lucked out. 4eva quick to point out that DET had a drop. There were 2 4th down plays. Bosa got a great pressure on the first, we had a great scheme on the 2nd. There was a strip on Gibbs, Wilks talked after about he was saying all week Gibbs carries it loose, they were looking to take it off him. We had good tackling in the 2nd half. We got home on Goff. We run stuffed Montgomery and forced them to burn a TO. So when I see a great many our D sucks posts, 49ers got lucky posts, I'll try and counter with a well here is some of the good. We all know the first half wasn't what we look for, and that's stuff for our guys to dissect. We are in the SB. LaFleur and Ben Johnson will be at home watching the game. Those aren't bad O minds, and they have pretty high end O players. My take is we have played pretty rough football on both sides, but enough good mixed in to get those wins. Pretty resilient bunch, even if it's certainly not always pretty.
You have selective interpretation. Notice I don't say we dominated the game. I say we dominated the 2nd half. We did, on both sides. Why write that I 'pretend we dominated the game'? That's your false interpretation. I clearly said we got em in half 2.

We didn't though. At all. The results were good. The play was far from dominant. It was better than the first half when they were miserable*
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 30, 2024 at 10:08 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm going to post this play every day until the Superbowl. Maybe Wilks will see it(lol). PLEASE PROTECT THE DAMN EDGES. We can't have our ends with their eyes on the ball and recklessly flying upfield without a plan to protect the edges. Reid is going to exploit this all game amd rip the wide 9 to shreds if Wilks doesn't come in with a plan.

I think one way to defend this run is to put the responsibility on the playside safety to attack downhill with aggression and fill the lane. On this particular play, we can see Reid understand and attack the safety rotation once Hardman goes in motion. Gipson rotates down, Huf bails, and that's the side (Huf's side) that the end around goes to. What needs to happen is the 49ers stay 2 high and the playside safety (Huf) comes down to make the tackle.

In the DET game, there was a toss play (I think) and Gipson missed a tackle that allowed for a chunk run. Those safeties are on the spot to make the play and prevent it from being any kind of explosive run.
Originally posted by thl408:
I think one way to defend this run is to put the responsibility on the playside safety to attack downhill with aggression and fill the lane. On this particular play, we can see Reid understand and attack the safety rotation once Hardman goes in motion. Gipson rotates down, Huf bails, and that's the side (Huf's side) that the end around goes to. What needs to happen is the 49ers stay 2 high and the playside safety (Huf) comes down to make the tackle.

In the DET game, there was a toss play (I think) and Gipson missed a tackle that allowed for a chunk run. Those safeties are on the spot to make the play and prevent it from being any kind of explosive run.

That definitely seems like something they can do.

I went back to the KC/NYJ game earlier this season to check out how Saleh planned for Andy Reid since the Jets also run the wide 9, and one of the first plays I encounter:

Against Mahomes, should we employ the 4-1-6 defense Walsh used against Dan Marino in the 1984 SB? Slow the pass, force the run, and blitz DBs from unusual positions.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Against Mahomes, should we employ the 4-1-6 defense Walsh used against Dan Marino in the 1984 SB? Slow the pass, force the run, and blitz DBs from unusual positions.

Take Greenlaw out of the game, and replace him with Ryan or Oliver? Let them run all over us? No.
  • thl408
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Take Greenlaw out of the game, and replace him with Ryan or Oliver? Let them run all over us? No.

Yeah. That's a no from me, dawg.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Yeah. That's a no from me, dawg.

Originally posted by Heroism:

I think we all agree Wilks game planning and in game adjustments are our biggest fear because it has been a bumpy ride all year, but not talking just X's and O's he is such an A+ human being and I love listening to the man speak so I am really hoping they can all put it together and make some magic.
Share 49ersWebzone