LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 244 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Yes I think Olsen called this out during the game. Wilks needs to do way more variable disguises from play one.

I don't think this translates well to his dline scheming. I feel his ability here is very lacking and vanilla unlike the secondary. They really need to iron out little wrinkles and change things up to confuse Reid and Mahommes as much as possible for 4 quarters. When I say confuse I mean that extra second delay of a read that could lead to a punt etc. Aside that players need to win their assignments.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Against Mahomes, should we employ the 4-1-6 defense Walsh used against Dan Marino in the 1984 SB? Slow the pass, force the run, and blitz DBs from unusual positions.

Take Greenlaw out of the game, and replace him with Ryan or Oliver? Let them run all over us? No.

Yeah. That's a no from me, dawg.

That strategy worked because Miami had no threat in the run game and those receivers had to be slowed down. Pacheco would get 200 yards on that defensive alignment.
First you have to stop the run, and we cant even do that atm.

If the Detroit Lions were true to its self in the second half. Montgomery would have got the ball another 20 times.

But the Detroit Lions got out of sync.

Andy Ried wont get out of sync.

The way we are playing; Pacheco could easily get more rushing yards than McCaffrey.
I'm gonna call it now and be BOLD.

Steve Wilks will have a Legacy MASTERCLASS game come Super Bowl Sunday.
Originally posted by RonnieLott:

If the Detroit Lions were true to its self in the second half. Montgomery would have got the ball another 20 times.

The way we are playing; Pacheco could easily get more rushing yards than McCaffrey.

Guess they shouldn't show up. Game's is a gimme for the chiefs. Oh well maybe next year.

Chiefs losses: Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Broncos, Bills, Packers. Weird 49ers played and beat 3 of those teams. Chiefs 25th ranked run defense. Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, CMC. Chiefs haven't seen an offense like this. But I forgot, Pacheco is better than CMC. LOL. Go fly your Chiefs flag. LOL.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Jan 30, 2024 at 7:33 PM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

He better. I mean its the only way to win.

I just remember the last 2 years completely overwhelming the Offensive Line and wrecking teams.

No idea how it fell off with Wilks.

That said is the Wide 9 getting outdated in the NFL?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rathof44:

Guess they shouldn't show up. Game's is a gimme for the chiefs. Oh well maybe next year.

Chiefs losses: Raiders, Eagles, Lions, Broncos, Bills, Packers. Weird 49ers played and beat 3 of those teams. Chiefs 25th ranked run defense. Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, CMC. Chiefs haven't seen an offense like this. But I forgot, Pacheco is better than CMC. LOL. Go fly your Chiefs flag. LOL.

You make fair points but you are downplaying Mahomes/Reid in the playoffs.

In other words this is not the "same" chiefs team that lost those games.

They got most of that corrected.
Originally posted by Crown:

Against a Buffalo defense down 5 starters, a Miami team playing in -13 degrees, and a Ravens team that ran the ball 6 times against the 25th ranked run defense, and had two costly turnovers that took 14 points off the board. You guys already crowning the Chiefs, kinda sad. Brock story > Swifties

I understand and appreciate that we have a Niners perspective on this site but Montgomery got more yards on the ground than McCaffrey last week 93 to 90. It's not a case of who the better running back is, it's the number of carries and the offence and defences dialled up by the respective play callers on the day.

The Chiefs were ordinary through the middle of the season whereas we kind of peeked when we pecked the Eagles eyes out in the Philadelphia game with a resounding performance.

If we bring that effort that we did in the Eagles game then woooooo! we will win, but the last couple of games we played have been like watching your favourite painted wagon, as a kid, run down the hill and hope it can get to the bottom even though the wheels seem to be falling off.

I just hope Wilks is more aggressive and the defensive team plays accordingly.
[ Edited by RonnieLott on Jan 30, 2024 at 7:42 PM ]

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

If he does that we win number 6. I'm hoping they only run that style of special D in case of emergency and had to do it against the Lions to get to the Superbowl. If he can figure out how to confuse Reid and Mahomes they will have trouble their recivers will be covered.

I understand and appreciate that we have a Niners perspective on this site but Montgomery got more yards on the ground than McCaffrey last week 93 to 90. It's not a case of who the better running back is, it's the number of carries and the offence and defences dialled up by the respective play callers on the day.

The Chiefs were ordinary through the middle of the season whereas we kind of peeked when we pecked the Eagles eyes out in the Philadelphia game with a resounding performance.

If we bring that effort that we did in the Eagles game then woooooo! we will win, but the last couple of games we played have been like watching your favourite painted wagon, as a kid, run down the hill and hope it can get to the bottom even though the wheels seem to be falling off.

I just hope Wilks is more aggressive and the defensive team plays accordingly.

Not too surprising simce the Lions defense was top2 all year, what is surprising is Sf going from allowing 97 ypg to 142 in their last 3. Basically dropping from 5th to 24th over their last 3. My argument is KC hasn't seen an offense like SF all year, not even close. They're susceptible to the run as well, 30 plus carries for Deebo, CMC,and mix in Mitchell and I think they win. CMC MVP.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Jan 31, 2024 at 6:11 PM ]
That is why I would like to get the ball first in the first quarter.

KC has scored a TD on their first drive something like 8 times in a row.

I would rather start running CMC with the score at 0-0 rather than 0-7.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crown:

Against a Buffalo defense down 5 starters, a Miami team playing in -13 degrees, and a Ravens team that ran the ball 6 times against the 25th ranked run defense, and had two costly turnovers that took 14 points off the board. You guys already crowning the Chiefs, kinda sad. Brock story > Swifties

No one is crowing the Chiefs. Knock off the juvenile discussion skills.

This is a formidable Chiefs team - downplaying them does no good.

That said the Niners are a more talented team across the board.
They must contend with the Mahomes/Kelce it factor.
That is why I would like to get the ball first in the first quarter.

KC has scored a TD on their first drive something like 8 times in a row.

I would rather start running CMC with the score at 0-0 rather than 0-7.
nope, stay the same if we win the toss
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 30, 2024 at 8:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone