LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 160 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
That is why I would like to get the ball first in the first quarter.

KC has scored a TD on their first drive something like 8 times in a row.

I would rather start running CMC with the score at 0-0 rather than 0-7.
nope, stay the same if we win the toss

We will see. CMC is far more effective in the game if we take the ball first or hold the opposition scoreless on the first drive.

He has many great runs in the first drive when the score is 0-0 but none when we are 0-7 down.

Kansas City have an incredible record scoring on their first drive.

We will see. CMC is far more effective in the game if we take the ball first or hold the opposition scoreless on the first drive.

He has many great runs in the first drive when the score is 0-0 but none when we are 0-7 down.

you just saw the last game how important it is to get the ball to start the second half, even the games before that.

If KC scores first, it's a wash cause we get the ball in the second... but if we can stop them then score ... it can start the avalanche of offense
damn, I rewatched the game vs the Chiefs last year, and it was worse than I remembered. Andy Reid took the wide 9 to the woodshed. He dialed up different variations of jet sweeps, off tackle runs, screens and absolutely shredded the edges by using the DL's upfield aggressiveness against them like Judo black belt throwing someone onto their ass.

Originally posted by Heroism:
damn, I rewatched the game vs the Chiefs last year, and it was worse than I remembered. Andy Reid took the wide 9 to the woodshed. He dialed up different variations of jet sweeps, off tackle runs, screens and absolutely shredded the edges by using the DL's upfield aggressiveness against them like Judo black belt throwing someone onto their ass.

Yea, but that was when we had Demeco. Now we have Steve Wilks. Where this is a Wilks, there is a way.
you just saw the last game how important it is to get the ball to start the second half, even the games before that.

If KC scores first, it's a wash cause we get the ball in the second... but if we can stop them then score ... it can start the avalanche of offense

Honestly I do not want to be coming from behind against Mahomes…it can get ugly real fast…better to start with the ball and score (offense is our strength) and handover it to defense who will have relatively less pressure once we have points on the board
Originally posted by CaliDesi49er:
Honestly I do not want to be coming from behind against Mahomes…it can get ugly real fast…better to start with the ball and score (offense is our strength) and handover it to defense who will have relatively less pressure once we have points on the board

Can see the argument but it's not like it's guaranteed we score. We've been great all year for the most part on opening drives, but only have a FG attempt in two attempts in the playoffs (after the opponents first possession) and the SB can be a wonky game with early nerves.

If they get the ball first, Kansas City could be 14-0 infront within 3 drives.

Will be very hard to come back from there.
Close your eyes if you're squeamish because what Andy Reid did to the wide 9 is graphic.

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 30, 2024 at 9:29 PM ]
Yes and the latest incarnation of the San Fransico 49er defence can't set an edge for quids!

I've got Pacheco for 120.
[ Edited by RonnieLott on Jan 30, 2024 at 9:29 PM ]

And despite that, with 10 mins left in the 4th Q we were down 5 and had them with a 3rd & 12.

They also converted a 1st on 3rd & 20, scoring a TD on the drive. Not saying it wasn't embarrassing some of those plays, but I think we can handle it

Originally posted by frenchmov:

And despite that, with 10 mins left in the 4th Q we were down 5 and had them with a 3rd & 12.

They also converted a 1st on 3rd & 20, scoring a TD on the drive. Not saying it wasn't embarrassing some of those plays, but I think we can handle it

We should have won

We didn't.

We gave up too many big plays on Defence.

Thats why we lost.

As I said, let someone other than Kelce and Rice beat you

If they get the ball first, Kansas City could be 14-0 infront within 3 drives.

Will be very hard to come back from there.
more like 14-7 and we have the ball again.. then again after Half
  • thl408

Wilks has to think of a counter to that, know that Reid already has a counter to Wilks' counter, and counter that.

Use split safeties to come up and stuff those jet sweeps, know that Reid might dial up a trick play to attack aggressive safeties.
We should have won

We didn't.

We gave up too many big plays on Defence.

Thats why we lost.

As I said, let someone other than Kelce and Rice beat you

Ive seen people say "look what Reid did to the wide 9!" Lol he played it before and since that game, it didn't always happen that way

I'll never understand how people who know better (which we all do, we've watched football) forget that it's football and each game is different. One missed or made play sets in motion a domino effect in EVERY game ever. Just because the chiefs made some plays 3 years ago doesn't mean it'll happen again.

A tall task for us but let's see what happens
I think what we are saying is we had better defensive minds on the coaching staff 3 years ago and Andy Reid made them look like circus monkeys.

What is he going to do with the current defensive minds on the coaching staff who have been very questionable over the last couple of weeks?
Share 49ersWebzone