LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 184 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Ive seen people say "look what Reid did to the wide 9!" Lol he played it before and since that game, it didn't always happen that way

I'll never understand how people who know better (which we all do, we've watched football) forget that it's football and each game is different. One missed or made play sets in motion a domino effect in EVERY game ever. Just because the chiefs made some plays 3 years ago doesn't mean it'll happen again.

A tall task for us but let's see what happens

3 years ago? That was last season...
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 30, 2024 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
I think what we are saying is we had better defensive minds on the coaching staff 3 years ago and Andy Reid made them look like circus monkeys.

What is he going to do with the current defensive minds on the coaching staff who have been very questionable over the last couple of weeks?

Someone should let our coaches/players know we are about to get plowed. Would save everyone a lot of time!
Originally posted by Heroism:

Ive seen people say "look what Reid did to the wide 9!" Lol he played it before and since that game, it didn't always happen that way

I'll never understand how people who know better (which we all do, we've watched football) forget that it's football and each game is different. One missed or made play sets in motion a domino effect in EVERY game ever. Just because the chiefs made some plays 3 years ago doesn't mean it'll happen again.

A tall task for us but let's see what happens

3 years ago? That was last season...

A year and a half, 3 years, whatever. Point stands
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
damn, I rewatched the game vs the Chiefs last year, and it was worse than I remembered. Andy Reid took the wide 9 to the woodshed. He dialed up different variations of jet sweeps, off tackle runs, screens and absolutely shredded the edges by using the DL's upfield aggressiveness against them like Judo black belt throwing someone onto their ass.

Yea, but that was when we had Demeco. Now we have Steve Wilks. Where this is a Wilks, there is a way.

The wide 9 is weak against runs - overall, I think. Great against the passes though. Running the Wide 9 doesn't mean they can't dial the aggressiveness back. Just as Belichick employed a 5-2-4 defense against Kyle's offense in the 2016 Superbowl, for the first time. Hopefully Wilks can come up with a defensive scheme that can screw up those Andy Ried screens and jet sweeps.
Yes and the latest incarnation of the San Fransico 49er defence can't set an edge for quids!

I've got Pacheco for 120.

Betting on Andy Reid's willingness to stick with the run. That's bold.

Then again he might have it after 3 big plays.
How do we stop Isiah Pacheco?

He averages 4.5 yards per carry in play off games.

It would be like Andy Reid to say - Hey Kyle, you are a running back offense, I will beat you at your own game.
[ Edited by RonnieLott on Jan 30, 2024 at 10:00 PM ]

It would be like Andy Reid to say - Hey Kyle, you are a running back offense, I will beat you at your own game.

He averaged 2.8 ypc vs the ravens ....

we stop him one play at a time

Yea, they're a good defense. Doesn't say much about what he'll average against us.
Close your eyes if you're squeamish because what Andy Reid did to the wide 9 is graphic.

A lot of similar plays we just saw last week. I can understand having trouble with games in between getting burned on very similar plays but I don't think it will be as bad as this.

More and more teams are running similar zone blocking concepts as the years have gone on. The defense should be much more familiar this year.

If wilks gets burned again to start the game it will be 3 weeks in a row...

I'd expect better even for an average dc. Especially when the plays schemed up in the above are almost the same as the lions ran.

• thl408
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Close your eyes if you're squeamish because what Andy Reid did to the wide 9 is graphic.

A lot of similar plays we just saw last week. I can understand having trouble with games in between getting burned on very similar plays but I don't think it will be as bad as this.

More and more teams are running similar zone blocking concepts as the years have gone on. The defense should be much more familiar this year.

If wilks gets burned again to start the game it will be 3 weeks in a row...

I'd expect better even for an average dc. Especially when the plays schemed up in the above are almost the same as the lions ran.

In those plays, the DE fires out and is instantly not in a position to play contain. Second level players must be disciplined taking on blocks so the one unblocked defender makes the tackle. It's got to be defended as a team.

Yea, they're a good defense. Doesn't say much about what he'll average against us.

Ravens were a bottom 10 run defense this year in ypc yet Pacheco only averaged 2.8..... that's strange
To be clear, our defense was really rough in 1st half vs lions. Played better in 2nd half. This shows from half to half things can improve, let alone mid year last year.

Going up against Reid & mahomes is as tough as it gets. Maybe we get diced up, we'll see, but the opportunity to win it all sure as f**k beats losing before this.

Ravens were a bottom 10 run defense this year in ypc yet Pacheco only averaged 2.8..... that's strange

Thats because in the last quarter, Kansas City were running with 10 in the box.

Because Baltimore couldn't score
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
That is why I would like to get the ball first in the first quarter.

KC has scored a TD on their first drive something like 8 times in a row.

I would rather start running CMC with the score at 0-0 rather than 0-7.
nope, stay the same if we win the toss

We will see. CMC is far more effective in the game if we take the ball first or hold the opposition scoreless on the first drive.

He has many great runs in the first drive when the score is 0-0 but none when we are 0-7 down.

Kansas City have an incredible record scoring on their first drive.

My only problem with getting the ball first is those plays are all scripted and runs will go right, and those tend to go for minimal gain because our line is weak there.

This game will need patience and if we score over 30 and our D is decent we will be in good shape. However with KCs D being great, a slower defensive game where we wear them out and hit them with the occasional big play is our best hope.
Share 49ersWebzone