LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 189 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I just fear if Kansas City jump out 14 points in front, they will slow up play so we only get 8-9 offensive drives for the whole game

Best we set the tone on offense from the start.
I just don't see how this defense holds up against KC's offense. They've looked pathetic in the first quarter against zone-running teams, especially with the way Chase Young dogs it on the edge. It's a defense built on speed and talent that lacks a sophisticated, varied scheme.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Heroism:
damn, I rewatched the game vs the Chiefs last year, and it was worse than I remembered. Andy Reid took the wide 9 to the woodshed. He dialed up different variations of jet sweeps, off tackle runs, screens and absolutely shredded the edges by using the DL's upfield aggressiveness against them like Judo black belt throwing someone onto their ass.

Yea, but that was when we had Demeco. Now we have Steve Wilks. Where this is a Wilks, there is a way.

The wide 9 is weak against runs - overall, I think. Great against the passes though. Running the Wide 9 doesn't mean they can't dial the aggressiveness back. Just as Belichick employed a 5-2-4 defense against Kyle's offense in the 2016 Superbowl, for the first time. Hopefully Wilks can come up with a defensive scheme that can screw up those Andy Ried screens and jet sweeps.

I have zero faith that Wilks will break out something new in the Super Bowl.
Re-watching some of the game, and I noticed that Wilks started slanting the ends into the b gap and replacing them with DBs vs crack plays...

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 31, 2024 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by All22:

I haven't seen much of anything exciting the last two games..I got so damn frustrated with this last game though. I would trust him more for a rib-cook off recipe than I would for this game haha. Hope I am wrong. We need to bring a lot more pressure.
Originally posted by audick:
I just don't see how this defense holds up against KC's offense. They've looked pathetic in the first quarter against zone-running teams, especially with the way Chase Young dogs it on the edge. It's a defense built on speed and talent that lacks a sophisticated, varied scheme.

I don't get all the gloom and doom, it's like the thread here turns all of you into Dr Ell

What I saw is bend don't break vs GB, and a tale of two halves vs DET.

It's a glass half full situation, and 90% of the attention is on the bending vs GB, and on the first half vs DET. The reality is there was a ton of good, vs GB in the RZ, stopping them on 4th down, Love wasn't getting picked at all, Dre got him twice. Ward took away a TD vs GB, with his contest in the endzone. Some of the GB issues were a guy wiping out in the rain and it's a wide open score. Hardly 'schemed' that way, just what happened..

Vs DET as much as they got us in the first half, we got em back and more in the 2nd. People act like GB and DET beat us, newsflash, we won. We ended both their seasons, a ton of great O talent and coaching done in by SF. I don't care about pretty, SB 54 was pretty, for 3 quarters.. it's about making plays when it counts to win ballgames. 4th quarter, 4th down, you are gonna scheme up an absolute I am taking DET to school play, yeah, I'll take it.
  • thl408
Re-watching some of the game, and I noticed that Wilks started slanting the ends into the b gap and replacing them with DBs vs crack plays...

Slants and gap exchanges are a great way to blow up run blocks. If the talent alone can't get it done playing 'straight up', then scheming up ways to defend the run is necessary. Wilks can't be passive about doing this.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Slants and gap exchanges are a great way to blow up run blocks. If the talent alone can't get it done playing 'straight up', then scheming up ways to defend the run is necessary. Wilks can't be passive about doing this.

Yup, just dropping either Hargrave or Arik back in zone can eliminate some of those screen plays. Run blitzing into those Jet sweeps - are other things you can do also. Key is calling them at the right time. But like you said, the 49er defense can't sit back and be passive and not counter. They did 2nd half counters in both the green bay and lions games, and that's going to be a big key in the Superbowl.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yup, just dropping either Hargrave or Arik back in zone can eliminate some of those screen plays. Run blitzing into those Jet sweeps - are other things you can do also. Key is calling them at the right time. But like you said, the 49er defense can't sit back and be passive and not counter. They did 2nd half counters in both the green bay and lions games, and that's going to be a big key in the Superbowl.

Someone tell Wilks you're allowed to disguise your plays more than a couple times a game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
damn, I rewatched the game vs the Chiefs last year, and it was worse than I remembered. Andy Reid took the wide 9 to the woodshed. He dialed up different variations of jet sweeps, off tackle runs, screens and absolutely shredded the edges by using the DL's upfield aggressiveness against them like Judo black belt throwing someone onto their ass.

Yea, but that was when we had Demeco. Now we have Steve Wilks. Where this is a Wilks, there is a way.

The wide 9 is weak against runs - overall, I think. Great against the passes though. Running the Wide 9 doesn't mean they can't dial the aggressiveness back. Just as Belichick employed a 5-2-4 defense against Kyle's offense in the 2016 Superbowl, for the first time. Hopefully Wilks can come up with a defensive scheme that can screw up those Andy Ried screens and jet sweeps.

My hope is Kyle forces him to do something different.🙏🙏🙏

I look for the O to start fast. 7 points per first half, in both playoff games, is pretty slow. Some wet ball issues vs GB, and a TO first half vs DET. Would be nice to execute Kyle's lap em strategy also. We get out in front, and we play more to the strength of our D. Pretty impressive we aren't getting out in front at all, and still beating good teams! That's def not the usual KS MO.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I look for the O to start fast. 7 points per first half, in both playoff games, is pretty slow. Some wet ball issues vs GB, and a TO first half vs DET. Would be nice to execute Kyle's lap em strategy also. We get out in front, and we play more to the strength of our D. Pretty impressive we aren't getting out in front at all, and still beating good teams! That's def not the usual KS MO.

It's the MO of a legit QB.
Originally posted by audick:

I don't get all the gloom and doom, it's like the thread here turns all of you into Dr Ell

What I saw is bend don't break vs GB, and a tale of two halves vs DET.

It's a glass half full situation, and 90% of the attention is on the bending vs GB, and on the first half vs DET. The reality is there was a ton of good, vs GB in the RZ, stopping them on 4th down, Love wasn't getting picked at all, Dre got him twice. Ward took away a TD vs GB, with his contest in the endzone. Some of the GB issues were a guy wiping out in the rain and it's a wide open score. Hardly 'schemed' that way, just what happened..

Vs DET as much as they got us in the first half, we got em back and more in the 2nd. People act like GB and DET beat us, newsflash, we won. We ended both their seasons, a ton of great O talent and coaching done in by SF. I don't care about pretty, SB 54 was pretty, for 3 quarters.. it's about making plays when it counts to win ballgames. 4th quarter, 4th down, you are gonna scheme up an absolute I am taking DET to school play, yeah, I'll take it.

Look at it this way, if we had Demeco Ryan's we would be more confident in the defense. With Wilks most of us are not. Positivity does not make it so, this game could be lost because of our weak d coordinator.

7 points in GB the direct result of having 3 possessions (and a blocked kick).

You can't score typically if you don't have the ball.
I say Bilichick - Vrabel - Zimmer !!
Share 49ersWebzone