LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 230 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Yes Andy Reid does whatever it takes to win

He cuts open an oppositions obvious areas of vulnerability.

Our area of vulnerability is our run defence.

It's definitely not our only vulnerability in this individual matchup. Those Chiefs are pretty good passing against zone coverage.

That said, throughout this year with the Chiefs pass game struggles and their high quality defense, it was still greater than a 2-1 pass-run ratio.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
The 49ers defense didn't face that many offenses who stuck with the running game. Even the Lions got away from the run in the second half, when they were dominating in the trenches in the first half. The Arizona Cardinals stuck with the run in week 15, and they rushed for 234 yards. If the Lions had stuck with the run, they may have rushed for 300 yards or more .

Andy Reid will run, run and run some more.

Uhhh....have you followed Andy Reid's coaching career?

Almost all of their TD's the last time came on rushes. He just might try that again along with a quick-pass passing game.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I don't know if you are following, I was responding to a point that if we had Ryans, we would be going into this matchup with confidence. I disagree, and provided a pic to explain my reasoning.

I'm definitely following. What you did was cherry pick a bad game to imply that people wouldn't be confident in him either. Clearly people were confident in DeMeco because of his body of work here and the reverse is true of Wilks. It's not a one game thing… it's not a matchup with the Chiefs thing either.

Lol, cherry pick. It's the SB matchup. That's the reason it was picked.

The guy said we'd be more confident with DeMeco than Wilks, lol. That's based on their body of work. This is really simple.

If you want to see* how silly your 'point' was I would suggest making a poll, except for it would clutter up the board with an obvious answer. Probably be like 95+ percent in favor of DeMeco. That doesn't mean people believe DeMeco would shut the Chiefs down either.

Wouldn't you be more confident with DeMeco?
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 31, 2024 at 2:07 PM ]
The main thing we need to do to improve our defence is turning the linebackers loose to attack downhill faster. In the second half v Detriot, the adjustments made by Quality Control were around linebacker involvement and the DL simply staying in position. After half time, The defensive line finally started to control the offensive line. And much more man coverage, as well
The guy said we'd be more confident with DeMeco than Wilks, lol. That's based on their body of work. This is really simple.

If you want to see* how silly your 'point' was I would suggest making a poll, except for it would clutter up the board with an obvious answer. Probably be like 95+ percent in favor of DeMeco. That doesn't mean people believe DeMeco would shut the Chiefs down either.

He'd be more confident if Wilks was the Head coach and Darnold the QB.

If you want to see* how silly your 'point' was I would suggest making a poll, except for it would clutter up the board with an obvious answer. Probably be like 95 percent in favor of DeMeco. That doesn't mean people believe DeMeco would shut the Chiefs down either.

These things are often emotion driven, and game to game. I've seen this thread vacillate between Wilks is an idiot, then Wilks is a genius and back to Wilks is an idiot. I think he's not actually radically a dif caliber coach week to week in reality, that's just the nature of a football season, and fan opinion. Maybe he's got one more turn in him, back to genius. For a sense of perspective I respect the heck out of Quinn as a DC, and he got boatraced by this same GB team that we held in check a lot more successfully. Pining for Ryans I'll save for others, it would be like spending 2 weeks in the Moody thread, doing this guy sucks where's Robbie style material. Probably best to see how this plays out with the men who got us here, and I'm praying for their success. I think sure, not a perfect year, but proud of this whole bunch all the same.
These things are often emotion driven, and game to game. I've seen this thread vacillate between Wilks is an idiot, then Wilks is a genius and back to Wilks is an idiot. I think he's not actually radically a dif caliber coach week to week in reality, that's just the nature of a football season, and fan opinion. Maybe he's got one more turn in him, back to genius. For a sense of perspective I respect the heck out of Quinn as a DC, and he got boatraced by this same GB team that we held in check a lot more successfully. Pining for Ryans I'll save for others, it would be like spending 2 weeks in the Moody thread, doing this guy sucks where's Robbie style material. Probably best to see how this plays out with the men who got us here, and I'm praying for their success. I think sure, not a perfect year, but proud of this whole bunch all the same.

Don't recall the Wilks is a genius turn, but it's beside the point.

You don't have to answer the question, but it's pretty obvious the overwhelming majority of people here would be more confident in DeMeco. Again that was the point you responded to. It's not hard to acknowledge that instead of implying they wouldn't be because of a game against the Chiefs last year.
Wilks Masterclass incoming! Flame me all you want if I'm wrong after the game lol...
The defensive front has to put pressure on Mahomes. If they don't, the 49ers will struggle to win the game. The Kansas City offensive tackles have had issues this season, so Young and Nick Bosa have a chance to make their presence known in the Super Bowl. I think the 49ers defensive front will get to Mahomes some.

If you want to see* how silly your 'point' was I would suggest making a poll, except for it would clutter up the board with an obvious answer. Probably be like 95 percent in favor of DeMeco. That doesn't mean people believe DeMeco would shut the Chiefs down either.

You've been defending wilks on this thread for a good while now… kudos to you in that regard. But the dude is a liablilty. It's cool's to have your opinion, and I have mine. The players seem to have sided with me… they said as much while wilks was in the booth. (Bosa saying he didn't understand why he couldn't just rush the QB like he has in the past).

I don't think Detroit would have gashed us like they did in the first half last year. I understand you don't feel that way

Edit: s**t the head coach made him leave the booth…. Indicators they aren't lockstep in philosophy
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Jan 31, 2024 at 4:01 PM ]
The defensive front has to put pressure on Mahomes. If they don't, the 49ers will struggle to win the game. The Kansas City offensive tackles have had issues this season, so Young and Nick Bosa have a chance to make their presence known in the Super Bowl. I think the 49ers defensive front will get to Mahomes some.

This would be the ideal game to break out.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Did we go with a 5 man front at times in the 2nd half?
Hargrave was the big free agent signing in the offseason. He was great during the first half of the season but has tailed off as the season has worn on. When the 49ers signed him, we knew the run defense might suffer a little bit, but his pass-rush ability would more than make up for it. But recently, he hasn't even been that effective in getting after the quarterback. So I agree that Hargrave hasn't lived up to his billing in recent weeks. I don't know that I'd say he's a non-factor, but he needs to step up. He's one player who could have a monstrous impact on the Super Bowl.

Coming into the postseason, I felt like the 49ers run defense was worse in games where they had played a handful of games in a row, and were tired and missing tackles. The game against the Cincinnati Bengals was an example of that. But they came into the Divisional Round of the playoffs more rested than any team. So what is the problem?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Hargrave was the big free agent signing in the offseason. He was great during the first half of the season but has tailed off as the season has worn on. When the 49ers signed him, we knew the run defense might suffer a little bit, but his pass-rush ability would more than make up for it. But recently, he hasn't even been that effective in getting after the quarterback. So I agree that Hargrave hasn't lived up to his billing in recent weeks. I don't know that I'd say he's a non-factor, but he needs to step up. He's one player who could have a monstrous impact on the Super Bowl.

Coming into the postseason, I felt like the 49ers run defense was worse in games where they had played a handful of games in a row, and were tired and missing tackles. The game against the Cincinnati Bengals was an example of that. But they came into the Divisional Round of the playoffs more rested than any team. So what is the problem?

They were on a roll up until the Rams game and I am sure they were feeling good and didn't think they had to make adjustments. Now they got exposed 2 weeks in a row in the biggest games to date. I have a good feeling they will be prepared and get it fixed
Share 49ersWebzone