There are 197 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Congrats to you Wilks. We just lost D'Shawn Jamison to the Panthers because you wanted Isaiah Oliver so bad, who has been hot garbage since he got here. If Jamison turns out to be good and Oliver shows us nothing more than what he's shown us, I'll be the first to be calling for your job.

Lynch signed Oliver to a 2yr deal. No way he was getting cut without eating that guarantee. Let's hope that Oliver picks up some anticipation and quickness.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Congrats to you Wilks. We just lost D'Shawn Jamison to the Panthers because you wanted Isaiah Oliver so bad, who has been hot garbage since he got here. If Jamison turns out to be good and Oliver shows us nothing more than what he's shown us, I'll be the first to be calling for your job.

calling for his job? over some cutdown day roster decision?, guys on the fringe of the roster, this gentleman doesn't even have roster authority. he's a DC.

I say let us see the results of the D, the rankings vs run and pass, as well as the sack and TO numbers, let those be the judge, as well as the film
Im kinda nervous about him.
Bruh is carrying a lot of distractions from his short time in the AZ, burner phones, racial discrimination lawsuits and accusations against his former boss Along with he truly hasn't impressed during the preseason, so yeah
cuz preseason is the time to flash your game plan. In before.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
He will get blamed for it, but honestly, I think the overall depth on the defense is much weaker this year. They have to rely on young guys like Kalia Davis to step up, and I'm not sure its in the cards.

The LBs look better, but the dbs and especially the line are thinner. Especially the d-line. We got hargrave, but lost 4 contributors -- willis ebukam omenihu ridgeway. Replaced with injury guys kinlaw bryant davis. And jackson who even if he improves his stamina by 50% will poop out week 14. still uptight about the front 7.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Aug 31, 2023 at 4:26 AM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I tend to agree

An older coach, up in the booth on gameday, a mixed coaching history, a different defensive philosophy.

I'm skeptical.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hear you

I went from 10 of 10 excited for him based on his mentor approach, and somewhat unique scheme. He is going to do some things we have not seen, at least in a long time.

I am probably at a 7/10 now based on preseason. Yeah, I am fickle ..... "mean nothing preseason games" probably should not change anyones opinion that much.

Having said that, even if he is not a great DC, he is going to have elite pass rush talent, solid lb play and a cover CB.

He should look better then he actually is... he gets more talent then most DCs get.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
cuz preseason is the time to flash your game plan. In before.

True but he's got a ton of baggage right now 😵
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Tough job. If our defense falls out of the top 3 this year, the man will be called a failure.

Originally posted by A-R-S:
Tough job. If our defense falls out of the top 3 this year, the man will be called a failure.

it depends on how it looks I think we will start a bit slow

the same thing happened when we got Ryans it takes time to accumulate to a new system. I do expect more sacks because Wilks likes to blitz a lot more than our previous guys and luckily we have some good blitzers. I also think he will be good in secondary. Where Ryan excelled at was mid-game adjustments
Anything less than the #1 defense will be a disappointment.
Originally posted by A-R-S:

As he should.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Prepare to be disappointed
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Prepare to be disappointed

Why do you think the defensive ranking will tumble under Wilks?
Share 49ersWebzone