LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 239 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Ambry Thomas

Unfortunately we run out of lock down corners after Ward

not many teams in history have had more than 1 lock down CB lol in fact at a given time in NFL they are maybe 5 lock down CB in the NFL at a time
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Imagine if we still had Ward, Eman, and K'waun

this is honestly the best secondary we have had in recent memory we are missing Hufanaga for sure though
Originally posted by DrEll:
All this scheming. You know Wilks is gonna come out on soft zone. After Mahomes and Travis carve us up, he'll switch to man and have Greenlaw or Warner cover Kelce. Which will part the Red Sea and Mahomes will have the entire middle of the field to scramble on….

you guys give Wilks too much credit. He was one half away from being tossed to the wolves, now we're banking on him coming up with a defensive scheme that will stop the best QB in the game. Laughable

Im banking on Kyle and other coaches working with him to get a better scheme going and make rapid adjustments.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
All this scheming. You know Wilks is gonna come out on soft zone. After Mahomes and Travis carve us up, he'll switch to man and have Greenlaw or Warner cover Kelce. Which will part the Red Sea and Mahomes will have the entire middle of the field to scramble on….

you guys give Wilks too much credit. He was one half away from being tossed to the wolves, now we're banking on him coming up with a defensive scheme that will stop the best QB in the game. Laughable

Im banking on Kyle and other coaches working with him to get a better scheme going and make rapid adjustments.

Didn't really do it vs GB or Detroit until the 2nd half. In sure Kyle was working with him in both games. What makes you think things will change for the Super Bowl ? Kyle has bigger fish to fry. He needs to game plan against one of the few defensive coordinators that have his number and have found way to negate his scheme. He doesn't have time to coach up a d-coordinator that doesn't realize he needs to fix his scheme until someone yells at him.

I think there's a clip going around on Twitter. During the Detroit game, Kyle is yelling into his headset and it's pretty much along the lines of bleeping bleeping defense is bleeping bleeping. He was pissed at someone. Not hard to figure out who…

Didn't really do it vs GB or Detroit until the 2nd half. In sure Kyle was working with him in both games. What makes you think things will change for the Super Bowl ? Kyle has bigger fish to fry. He needs to game plan against one of the few defensive coordinators that have his number and have found way to negate his scheme. He doesn't have time to coach up a d-coordinator that doesn't realize he needs to fix his scheme until someone yells at him.

I think there's a clip going around on Twitter. During the Detroit game, Kyle is yelling into his headset and it's pretty much along the lines of bleeping bleeping defense is bleeping bleeping. He was pissed at someone. Not hard to figure out who…

it was at the defense after the game he talked about the lack of effort on defense against the run and it showed up on tape too

Link or it didn't happen lol
Originally posted by ritz126:

it was at the defense after the game he talked about the lack of effort on defense against the run and it showed up on tape too

If Kyle doesn't make sure his defense coaches and scheme are ultra prepared for the SB than that's on him imo. This is the biggest fish to fry.
If Kyle doesn't make sure his defense coaches and scheme are ultra prepared for the SB than that's on him imo. This is the biggest fish to fry.

my point is i don't think scheme is an issue. Missed tackles and not setting the EDGE aren't scheme issue its an execution issue. Our pass D has been really good this year run defense has not and as i mentioned earlier (or in another thread) losing Hufanaga and Azzez along with DJ jones were big losses to our run D

Chiefs luckily don't use outside zone runs to often they may for this game but they like to run down the middle where we are better ar defending
[ Edited by ritz126 on Feb 1, 2024 at 8:06 AM ]
  • thl408

my point is i don't think scheme is an issue. Missed tackles and not setting the EDGE aren't scheme issue its an execution issue. Our pass D has been really good this year run defense has not and as i mentioned earlier (or in another thread) losing Hufanaga and Azzez along with DJ jones were big losses to our run D

Chiefs luckily don't use outside zone runs to often they may for this game but they like to run down the middle where we are better ar defending

After watching how some of DET's explosive runs occurred, I agree that it is more of an execution issue. Ambry and Gipson are bad open field tacklers. It's not just those two but those are the two that stand out as being poor tacklers when coming downfield on a ball carrier. All those perimeter runs require a defender from the second or third level to come down and make the play. While they may not make the stop for a loss or minimal gain, they can't let it be a chunk run.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't think you stop Patrick. I think, at best you can slow him down a drive or two, but he'll score on whatever scheme you run. To beat KC - you have to outscore KC.

Originally posted by Giedi:

I don't think you stop Patrick. I think, at best you can slow him down a drive or two, but he'll score on whatever scheme you run. To beat KC - you have to outscore KC.

What you do is try your best to stop his connection with Kelce. You make him have to go to the other WRs that he does not trust fully.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

What you do is try your best to stop his connection with Kelce. You make him have to go to the other WRs that he does not trust fully.

To win this game our defense has to force some turnovers. Bosa and Young have to beat their vulnerable OTs to the punch and get pressure on Mahomes. If he has all day to throw we are toast. Otherwise, his clock will speed up leading to his timing with his receivers to be out of sync, which could lead to opportunities for us to get INTs.

Our run D has to show up and force KC into 3rd and long situations.

I look it at less like stopping Patrick, and more like having a plan for 87 on pass downs. We can win in coverage vs KC WRs. There's a reason KC is 15th in ppg on O, Mahomes is great, but some of those other guys around him can be had.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I look it at less like stopping Patrick, and more like having a plan for 87 on pass downs. We can win in coverage vs KC WRs. There's a reason KC is 15th in ppg on O, Mahomes is great, but some of those other guys around him can be had.

Whats the difference between kc during their losing streak vs them now? They were extremely flat on offense most of the year.
Originally posted by thl408:

After watching how some of DET's explosive runs occurred, I agree that it is more of an execution issue. Ambry and Gipson are bad open field tacklers. It's not just those two but those are the two that stand out as being poor tacklers when coming downfield on a ball carrier. All those perimeter runs require a defender from the second or third level to come down and make the play. While they may not make the stop for a loss or minimal gain, they can't let it be a chunk run.

Fair enough but I still want to see between drives adjustments!
Share 49ersWebzone