LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 238 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
If Kyle doesn't make sure his defense coaches and scheme are ultra prepared for the SB than that's on him imo. This is the biggest fish to fry.

my point is i don't think scheme is an issue. Missed tackles and not setting the EDGE aren't scheme issue its an execution issue. Our pass D has been really good this year run defense has not and as i mentioned earlier (or in another thread) losing Hufanaga and Azzez along with DJ jones were big losses to our run D

Chiefs luckily don't use outside zone runs to often they may for this game but they like to run down the middle where we are better ar defending

After watching how some of DET's explosive runs occurred, I agree that it is more of an execution issue. Ambry and Gipson are bad open field tacklers. It's not just those two but those are the two that stand out as being poor tacklers when coming downfield on a ball carrier. All those perimeter runs require a defender from the second or third level to come down and make the play. While they may not make the stop for a loss or minimal gain, they can't let it be a chunk run.

I thought Gipson has been a good openn field tackler, just didn't do well in that game.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I thought Gipson has been a good openn field tackler, just didn't do well in that game.

Perhaps had some misses, but had the FF also, that was perhaps the biggest play of the game
  • thl408
Originally posted by ritz126:
If Kyle doesn't make sure his defense coaches and scheme are ultra prepared for the SB than that's on him imo. This is the biggest fish to fry.

my point is i don't think scheme is an issue. Missed tackles and not setting the EDGE aren't scheme issue its an execution issue. Our pass D has been really good this year run defense has not and as i mentioned earlier (or in another thread) losing Hufanaga and Azzez along with DJ jones were big losses to our run D

Chiefs luckily don't use outside zone runs to often they may for this game but they like to run down the middle where we are better ar defending

After watching how some of DET's explosive runs occurred, I agree that it is more of an execution issue. Ambry and Gipson are bad open field tacklers. It's not just those two but those are the two that stand out as being poor tacklers when coming downfield on a ball carrier. All those perimeter runs require a defender from the second or third level to come down and make the play. While they may not make the stop for a loss or minimal gain, they can't let it be a chunk run.

Fair enough but I still want to see between drives adjustments!

Wilks needs to be more proactive with his adjustments imo. Make them faster. Like you said, between drives. Or better yet, in the middle of a drive. This is a veteran defense. They don't have to huddle up with the coaches to make an adjustment. Do it on the fly. I remember one game where Saleh's run defense was getting wrecked by the Rams. DL started slanting and gap exchanging, mid drive, to blow up the run blocks.
Wilks needs to be more proactive with his adjustments imo. Make them faster. Like you said, between drives. Or better yet, in the middle of a drive. This is a veteran defense. They don't have to huddle up with the coaches to make an adjustment. Do it on the fly. I remember one game where Saleh's run defense was getting wrecked by the Rams. DL started slanting and gap exchanging, mid drive, to blow up the run blocks.

Wasn't this reaction from that game? I remember Solly slanting and beating the center to sack Goff.

I miss this dude.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:

Wasn't this reaction from that game? I remember Solly slanting and beating the center to sack Goff.

I miss this dude.

It could be. I was referring to the run defense where Rams put two TEs to one side, with wider than normal splits in their OL to spread out the wide9. Saleh quickly adjusted and squashed the Rams run game. Maybe because Wilks is more DB centric, he isn't as keen to making these front 7 type of adjustments?
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
In the AFC title game, Patrick Mahomes boldly exclaimed to the Ravens defense (and safety Kyle Hamilton in particular) that Kelce was not going to be guarded.

Being that Kelce had 116 yards on 11 catches and the touchdown, we do think Mahomes kind of had a point, at least for this game.

The Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl thanks in large part to Mahomes' and Kelce's electric chemistry; those two really are a sight to behold.

FUNNY how Kelce is the MAIN weapon for Mahomes and yet he kept getting the ball.. .while we have the BEST TE in the NFL now, and he can't get the ball thrown his way as much as possible..
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
In the AFC title game, Patrick Mahomes boldly exclaimed to the Ravens defense (and safety Kyle Hamilton in particular) that Kelce was not going to be guarded.

Being that Kelce had 116 yards on 11 catches and the touchdown, we do think Mahomes kind of had a point, at least for this game.

The Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl thanks in large part to Mahomes' and Kelce's electric chemistry; those two really are a sight to behold.

FUNNY how Kelce is the MAIN weapon for Mahomes and yet he kept getting the ball.. .while we have the BEST TE in the NFL now, and he can't get the ball thrown his way as much as possible..

Force the ball to Kittle when you also have Aiyuk, CMC, and Deebo?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by DrEll:
All this scheming. You know Wilks is gonna come out on soft zone. After Mahomes and Travis carve us up, he'll switch to man and have Greenlaw or Warner cover Kelce. Which will part the Red Sea and Mahomes will have the entire middle of the field to scramble on….

you guys give Wilks too much credit. He was one half away from being tossed to the wolves, now we're banking on him coming up with a defensive scheme that will stop the best QB in the game. Laughable

I don't think you stop Patrick. I think, at best you can slow him down a drive or two, but he'll score on whatever scheme you run. To beat KC - you have to outscore KC.

What you do is try your best to stop his connection with Kelce. You make him have to go to the other WRs that he does not trust fully.

Andy is going to pick that up and adjust his passing to use Kelce as a decoy (for example). In other words, every defensive adjustment will have it's counters. He won't do it right away, but he'll counter your defense on critical downs and in the red zone. And everybody will be saying - - Wilks sucks!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
All this scheming. You know Wilks is gonna come out on soft zone. After Mahomes and Travis carve us up, he'll switch to man and have Greenlaw or Warner cover Kelce. Which will part the Red Sea and Mahomes will have the entire middle of the field to scramble on….

you guys give Wilks too much credit. He was one half away from being tossed to the wolves, now we're banking on him coming up with a defensive scheme that will stop the best QB in the game. Laughable

I don't think you stop Patrick. I think, at best you can slow him down a drive or two, but he'll score on whatever scheme you run. To beat KC - you have to outscore KC.

What you do is try your best to stop his connection with Kelce. You make him have to go to the other WRs that he does not trust fully.

To win this game our defense has to force some turnovers. Bosa and Young have to beat their vulnerable OTs to the punch and get pressure on Mahomes. If he has all day to throw we are toast. Otherwise, his clock will speed up leading to his timing with his receivers to be out of sync, which could lead to opportunities for us to get INTs.

Our run D has to show up and force KC into 3rd and long situations.

Yes, those one on one matchups are key, and they are injured on the OLine and on the DLine. That was *our* story going into Superbowl 2019, and hopefully that will make a difference in *our* favor.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

Except that Mahomes of all seasons has shown that he is stoppable this year. It has been an off year, and if the Ravens had put up half a fight not sure if KC would have beat them. Turnovers and pressures will be crucial. I just don't think Wilks has the wits about him to pull it off. He's too bland. Can't believe he made our d line look pedestrian. Especially with all that star power…

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I look it at less like stopping Patrick, and more like having a plan for 87 on pass downs. We can win in coverage vs KC WRs. There's a reason KC is 15th in ppg on O, Mahomes is great, but some of those other guys around him can be had.

That KC defense held the high scoring Miami, Buffalo and Ravens offense down to pretty much their lowest scores. So yeah, KC's offense isn't so hot compared to 2019, but that KC defense isn't chump change either.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:

I miss this dude.

It could be. I was referring to the run defense where Rams put two TEs to one side, with wider than normal splits in their OL to spread out the wide9. Saleh quickly adjusted and squashed the Rams run game. Maybe because Wilks is more DB centric, he isn't as keen to making these front 7 type of adjustments?

That's probably an aspect of it. A lot of his adjustments have been more DB centric vs DLine centric. I don't think he's as confident in his front 7 expertise as he's with his back 7 specialty. One positive point - our pass defense has been improving (in my eyes) throughout the entire season. This is (even though we lost Huff) I think the best pass defense we've had in a long time. Just my opinion.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Except that Mahomes of all seasons has shown that he is stoppable this year. It has been an off year, and if the Ravens had put up half a fight not sure if KC would have beat them. Turnovers and pressures will be crucial. I just don't think Wilks has the wits about him to pull it off. He's too bland. Can't believe he made our d line look pedestrian. Especially with all that star power…

The front seven play has been bland, but he back seven disguises and zone rotations and zone pattern matching have been pretty good, in my opinion. Like you said, he has to mix it up, or change it up for the Superbowl. My hope is that he does a bit more stunting and blitzing in this next game, but still be able to hold them to 3's on those scoring drives instead of giving up 7's.
  • thl408

To win this game our defense has to force some turnovers. Bosa and Young have to beat their vulnerable OTs to the punch and get pressure on Mahomes. If he has all day to throw we are toast. Otherwise, his clock will speed up leading to his timing with his receivers to be out of sync, which could lead to opportunities for us to get INTs.

Yes, those one on one matchups are key, and they are injured on the OLine and on the DLine. That was *our* story going into Superbowl 2019, and hopefully that will make a difference in *our* favor.

I have a good feeling KC will chip Bosa to help out their OT. If they ever do this with Kelce, I'd like to see Bosa just engage with Kelce and make it tough for Kelce to get out into his route. I would gladly exchange Bosa rushing the passer for Kelce being really late running his route, or if possible, smash Kelce at the LoS so he never gets into his route. Bosa neutralized so that the coverage defenders only need to cover 4 routes with none of them being Kelce? I think that's a trade off that favors the 49ers. That said, the other three pass rushers better do something.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I have a good feeling KC will chip Bosa to help out their OT. If they ever do this with Kelce, I'd like to see Bosa just engage with Kelce and make it tough for Kelce to get out into his route. I would gladly exchange Bosa rushing the passer for Kelce being really late running his route, or if possible, smash Kelce at the LoS so he never gets into his route. Bosa neutralized so that the coverage defenders only need to cover 4 routes with none of them being Kelce? I think that's a trade off that favors the 49ers. That said, the other three pass rushers better do something.

Agree, that will really limit Kelce if he has to chip Bosa. I"m blitzing the Strong Safety on that side if Kelce chips. He can't get as far up field as when he has a free release, and hopefully the Strong Safety screws up Patrick and moves him off his spot or he has to throw to the short man. My hope is that the pass rush will get to Patrick. Drop Bosa into a zone (occasionally) and then have Hargrave, Arik, and Chase/Beal/Gregory pressure Patrick and hopefully screw up the KC timing to his WR's.

Wilks hasn't been a heavy blitzer this year, but this might be the game where he does that changeup and blitzes more than usual.
Share 49ersWebzone