There are 285 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ritz126:
i see the joke now... but wilks needs to step it up

i think we will be fine we have lays done good with extra time to prepare
from what i see most of the issues are more execution/effort issues not scheme. Moving AA to edge really helped stop the outside run plays which kind of tells me its a problem setting the EDGE. Chase young went inside a lot trying to make a play on the QB instead of setting the Edge a few times

in terms of Mahomes he will get his it is what it is at this point just have to force him or try to to go somewhere other than Kelce
effort is not there due to DC, by putting players in the wrong position/play call and having a watch and react approach.

you know how many years people wanted AA on the inside, now we got some wanting AA back on the outside. He's better fitted on the inside to disrupt the timing.

I definitely wanted AA on the inside, but the reality is we are awful at the edges. He is needed at DE for now until we get Ferrell back, basically next season. Furthermore, given that Hargrave is not a great run defender (basically Buckner lite), may need AA on base downs/run downs. Then when we are rushing the passer or are playing with a lead, we can move AA inside.
  • Cosmo
After all of the attention the poor play from the defense has gotten, how does everyone think they'll do? I have full confidence in the offense, but still not sure what to make of the D. Is it as simple to fix as putting in more effort? Obviously hoping Wilks has a few tricks up his sleeve.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cosmo:
After all of the attention the poor play from the defense has gotten, how does everyone think they'll do? I have full confidence in the offense, but still not sure what to make of the D. Is it as simple to fix as putting in more effort? Obviously hoping Wilks has a few tricks up his sleeve.

I hope we shock them and go heavy blitz. Just hit Mahomes over and over. But something tells me that Wilks has no plans on changing anything. I think he spent the off week blaming the players for not executing, rather than looking at his scheme and wondering why it hasn't been working in the playoffs. If KC scores on their first 2 drives like they did against Baltimore, we're screwed. And if they play the first half like Detroit did before Wilks realizes there needs to be an adjustment, then this game will be over before we know it.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by DrEll:

I hope we shock them and go heavy blitz. Just hit Mahomes over and over. But something tells me that Wilks has no plans on changing anything. I think he spent the off week blaming the players for not executing, rather than looking at his scheme and wondering why it hasn't been working in the playoffs. If KC scores on their first 2 drives like they did against Baltimore, we're screwed. And if they play the first half like Detroit did before Wilks realizes there needs to be an adjustment, then this game will be over before we know it.

Damn dude, after reading your 2 first sentences I thought you'd come around. f**kin wet blanket you are.
[ Edited by Cosmo on Feb 7, 2024 at 5:50 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by ritz126:
i see the joke now... but wilks needs to step it up

i think we will be fine we have lays done good with extra time to prepare
from what i see most of the issues are more execution/effort issues not scheme. Moving AA to edge really helped stop the outside run plays which kind of tells me its a problem setting the EDGE. Chase young went inside a lot trying to make a play on the QB instead of setting the Edge a few times

in terms of Mahomes he will get his it is what it is at this point just have to force him or try to to go somewhere other than Kelce
effort is not there due to DC, by putting players in the wrong position/play call and having a watch and react approach.

you know how many years people wanted AA on the inside, now we got some wanting AA back on the outside. He's better fitted on the inside to disrupt the timing.

I definitely wanted AA on the inside, but the reality is we are awful at the edges. He is needed at DE for now until we get Ferrell back, basically next season. Furthermore, given that Hargrave is not a great run defender (basically Buckner lite), may need AA on base downs/run downs. Then when we are rushing the passer or are playing with a lead, we can move AA inside.

You don't want AA at edge against Mahomes. He and Andy exploited his tall lankiness last Superbowl. He's WAY too slow laterally. They run off of him with ease (with Mahomes) even out at 9. There was one point where he was visibly upset about it too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 7, 2024 at 7:48 AM ]
  • Cosmo
If the problems we saw with the run D really do boil down to either effort or scheme, it's something that can absolutely be addressed and corrected. The great thing about that is if KC designs the majority of their game plan around attacking that perceived weakness, and the Niners ARE able to correct it and return to their dominant form, KC is hosed.
I think our run defense should be better this game since I see the Lions rushing attack more potent than KC's. Lets hope pairing that with a team that should show more effort will lead us to shutting them down.
Although we won by a little margin, Steve Wilks was extremely ashamed by his defensive coordinator decisions and our play against the Packers and Lions. His ability to read the attacking score is lacking. If Mahomes plays it well, will he destroy Steve Wilks for a defense call? Mahomes will chuckle on our behalf.
You can blame Steve Wilks all you like but the defensive players need to bring effort which was lacking in those two play off games.
I wanted Steve Wilks to cover Travis Kelce with two guys all day. Regarding other wide receivers, I don't care. Travis Kelce is the receiver that Mahomes loves to send passes to more often than wide receivers.

• thl408
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
I wanted Steve Wilks to cover Travis Kelce with two guys all day. Regarding other wide receivers, I don't care. Travis Kelce is the receiver that Mahomes loves to send passes to more often than wide receivers.

Either I'm going crazy or your posts make more sense than ever before.
Originally posted by thl408:

Can both be true?
  • thl408
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by thl408:

Can both be true?

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:

Damn dude, after reading your 2 first sentences I thought you'd come around. f**kin wet blanket you are.

Obviously I don't know what's going on behind closed doors. But it seems just from all the media reports and interviews that the blame for last week's effort is primarily on players not executing. In numerous interviews since Detroit, Wilks has used words like unacceptable but has pointed the fingers at his players. That makes me think that he thinks the scheme is fine, it's his players playing lazy. When in reality it's a combo of both.

We've seen in two games this postseason that the 49ers defense comes out unprepared and it took an entire half for them to adjust. I just don't see how this changes and Wilks comes in with a completely surprising game plan that no one expected. He just doesn't coach that way…
the 49ers defense has been embarrassed (self inflicted) and have been taking heat for 2 weeks now and i'm sure they as competitors they've taken it to heart and are eager to show out. the fiasco of the detroit game (and to a lesser extent green bay) may be just what the doctor ordered to get this defense back on track and ready for Patrick mahomes.
Share 49ersWebzone