LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 262 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Which 49ers and which Chiefs will turn up at the Superbowl.

Did they do a Halloween trick at Halloween and did both teams change personalities?
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Thank you so much. We should be underdogs lol. People tend to say teams with the better QB wins or better Defense. But for the superbowl it's different I guess. They are going with the better players overall wins. Here's to hope because Andy Reid made our defense look sad and they were better last time.

Patrick Mahomes literally has a perfect record against us in both the regular season and postseason. The fact that the chiefs are underdog going into this game is another media narrative they will use when it's rigged for them to win.

The talking heads are all picking the Chiefs, but the Vegas line still favors the Niners, odd.

Chiefs EPA on offense went from 11th to 4th from reg season to playoffs. Niners EPA on defense went from 10 to 32 from reg season to playoffs. Which of the following is more likely to hold form on Sunday ? KC continues to play offense at a high level (they scored 0 pts vs the Ravens for about 40 minutes), or the Niners field the worst ranked defense in the league ? That's why the Niners are favored. The analytics say that the Chiefs are more likely to play offense like they did during the regular season, and the Niners are more likely to play defense like they did in the regular season.

If this matchup had been set before Christmas, the Niners would likely have been favored by 6 points.

Great post! I like seeing statistics.
Definitely feel like the Defense, especially the Defense Line has the most pressure in the Super Bowl.

From a Talent perspective the 49ers DL should have a Huge game.

The KC Tackles and LG are a liability and it's time the 49ers DL imposed their will.

It's no surprise that we are in the Super Bowl and talking about the 49ers #1 most expensive position group.

The 1st Quarter of the game is going to determine the winner.
  • thl408
Wilks needs to come up with the gameplan of his life. Coming into the game with little new to show and just hoping everyone executes better with the schemes they've been doing all season - Andy Reid will slice him up. Put Bosa at DT to go versus their backup LG, play some combo coverages (man on one side, zone on the other), bracket Kelce, put Mooney on Kelce on some downs, blitz, drop 8 into coverage, play that 5DL front, slant to blow up run plays, stunt, blitz the slot CB, throw the kitchen sink at KC and keep them guessing as to what they are about to see. All that needs to happen. Of course, do all these things with a purpose, not simply for the hell of it.

Make KC play left handed. If Scantling/Moore/Toney beats them, f' it, tip your cap. But I don't want to see Kelce/Rice end the game with 8 catches for 100+ yards and multiple 3rd down catches for first down conversions.
It would be nice to see that front four dominate the line like they did in the first five to eight games.

But, it's been awhile.
Originally posted by thl408:
Wilks needs to come up with the gameplan of his life. Coming into the game with little new to show and just hoping everyone executes better with the schemes they've been doing all season - Andy Reid will slice him up. Put Bosa at DT to go versus their backup LG, play some combo coverages (man on one side, zone on the other), bracket Kelce, put Mooney on Kelce on some downs, blitz, drop 8 into coverage, play that 5DL front, slant to blow up run plays, stunt, blitz the slot CB, throw the kitchen sink at KC and keep them guessing as to what they are about to see. All that needs to happen. Of course, do all these things with a purpose, not simply for the hell of it.

Make KC play left handed. If Scantling/Moore/Toney beats them, f' it, tip your cap. But I don't want to see Kelce/Rice end the game with 8 catches for 100+ yards and multiple 3rd down catches for first down conversions.

It is the nothing new to show that concerns me. I would love for Wilks to keep them on their toes somehow but not sure is that is possible. Why do I feel Wilks still needs to step out of his comfort zone? I remember against the Packers..when the offense went down the field no problem, it appeared that BP looked at Kyle pretty concerned. It just puts more pressure on BP to carry the team. Team felt more balanced last year.

I said earlier, just hide Demeco in the med tent and have him call some plays lol
  • thl408
Looking at the blitz rate for this season, the 49ers ended the regular season at 17.5% - league average is 28%. Entering this season, Wilks' defense has consistently been towards the top of the league in blitz rate. This 49er defense is not the style of defense Wilks is accustomed to in terms of blitz frequency. This is to say I think he is being restrained from his preferred style of defense.

When Bosa said in a radio interview at the end of October, "We're usually a "rush four" kind of team and it's a little different this year.", I feel that made Wilks pull back and force himself to adjust to what has been done here with Saleh/Ryans. While it's good that a coach can adjust, if the adjustment means the coach is not able to coach the style of play he believes in - and based on data, Wilks believes in a high blitz defense - then the coach never should have been hired in the first place. You don't hire a coach then tell him to coach a scheme he doesn't believe in. Wilks went from being top6(?) blitz rate at his previous stops as DC to 3rd lowest blitz rate this season with the 49ers - a huge difference.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/166991-what-expect-new-49ers-defensive-coordinator-steve-wilks/
During his last three seasons as an NFL coordinator, Wilks's defenses blitzed at top-four rates in the NFL, despite seeing time at three different destinations: with the Carolina Panthers, Arizona Cardinals, and Cleveland Browns.
----------------------------
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/patrick-mahomes-travis-kelce-steve-wilks-super-bowl-lviii/
This season, their blitz rate of 18.0% ranked third-lowest in the NFL, and their pressure rate of 21.0% was middle of the pack.
------------------------------------

MatchQuarters is a reliable source so I think this big chart is fairly accurate.
IMO - this is a make it or break it game for Wilks.

He better unleash the Kracken - and attack relentlessly.

Got to lay it all on the line and leave nothing left on the field.
Looking at the blitz rate for this season, the 49ers ended the regular season at 17.5% - league average is 28%. Entering this season, Wilks' defense has consistently been towards the top of the league in blitz rate. This 49er defense is not the style of defense Wilks is accustomed to in terms of blitz frequency. This is to say I think he is being restrained from his preferred style of defense.

When Bosa said in a radio interview at the end of October, "We're usually a "rush four" kind of team and it's a little different this year.", I feel that made Wilks pull back and force himself to adjust to what has been done here with Saleh/Ryans. While it's good that a coach can adjust, if the adjustment means the coach is not able to coach the style of play he believes in - and based on data, Wilks believes in a high blitz defense - then the coach never should have been hired in the first place. You don't hire a coach then tell him to coach a scheme he doesn't believe in. Wilks went from being top6(?) blitz rate at his previous stops as DC to 3rd lowest blitz rate this season with the 49ers - a huge difference.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/166991-what-expect-new-49ers-defensive-coordinator-steve-wilks/
During his last three seasons as an NFL coordinator, Wilks's defenses blitzed at top-four rates in the NFL, despite seeing time at three different destinations: with the Carolina Panthers, Arizona Cardinals, and Cleveland Browns.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/patrick-mahomes-travis-kelce-steve-wilks-super-bowl-lviii/
This season, their blitz rate of 18.0% ranked third-lowest in the NFL, and their pressure rate of 21.0% was middle of the pack.

MatchQuarters is a reliable source so I think this big chart is fairly accurate.

I think part of it is his background on the back end and has Wilks ever had 3 good or better pass rushers? His developed his defensive playcakling style based on NOT have many quality pass rushers. But he knew as a defensive coordinator, he had to dial up pressure. So he never developed ways for getting the defensive line off (I'm assuming).

Agresd. It all changed after the bye week. Since then it's been extremely vanilla rush 4 front and not a lot of blitzing.
Wilks Legacy game incoming.

• Cosmo
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO - this is a make it or break it game for Wilks.

He better unleash the Kracken - and attack relentlessly.

Got to lay it all on the line and leave nothing left on the field.

Completely agree. Even if the Niners win a shootout, if the defense continues the play from the last few weeks, no way do I wanna see them run it back with him next season.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I hope it's a winning legacy!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

I hope it's a winning legacy!

He started doing some exotic stuff in the 2nd half of both playoff games. hope that continues into the Superbowl.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Obviously we have know idea but it seems reasonable to believe that KS and possibly lynch have gone over his plan with a fine tooth comb.

No way they left him on an island.
  • Cosmo
This makes me think Wilks has been taking heat that should be directed towards Kocurek.

Share 49ersWebzone