LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 261 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
I have little to zero faith in out defense right now.

Not sure how you can have no faith in Bosa, Warner, Ward to win their matchups, even if you scapegoat Wilks. We are one of the few fanbases to scapegoat our guys during wins, not losses, wins.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Not sure how you can have no faith in Bosa, Warner, Ward to win their matchups, even if you scapegoat Wilks. We are one of the few fanbases to scapegoat our guys during wins, not losses, wins.

The whole back half of the season teh defense has been disappointing. I'm not a blame it all on Wilks guy. It's him and the players. They all should get their fair share of blame.

The whole back half of the season teh defense has been disappointing. I'm not a blame it all on Wilks guy. It's him and the players. They all should get their fair share of blame.

I view it as a mixed bag. Zero faith in the D would be us getting our butts kicked for 60 mins. That did not happen. We got our butts kicked for 30 mins, and did the kicking for the other 30. In the 2nd half we forced a fumble, had 2 4th down stops, got the key goal line run stuff, and had a 3 and out. Every 2nd half D drive was successful and resulted in no points, until the game was out of reach. Even that final drive, they needed 11 plays, and as mentioned, got run stuffed and had to burn their TO, thus blowing up their chance of kicking deep. They had to do an onside kick, which is near zero success rate. So that's a lot of us winning in the 2nd half on D, vs a team loaded with O weapons.

I don't view the GB game as disappointing at all. We gave up a TD when a guy slipped. We only allowed 21. We picked a red hot Love 2x. We stuffed them on 4th also. We only allowed 6 first half pts. And on and on. Tons of good lately, that is getting almost no focus, compared to the bad. So I try to highlight those good moments.
  • Disp
  • Veteran

I view it as a mixed bag. Zero faith in the D would be us getting our butts kicked for 60 mins. That did not happen. We got our butts kicked for 30 mins, and did the kicking for the other 30. In the 2nd half we forced a fumble, had 2 4th down stops, got the key goal line run stuff, and had a 3 and out. Every 2nd half D drive was successful and resulted in no points, until the game was out of reach. Even that final drive, they needed 11 plays, and as mentioned, got run stuffed and had to burn their TO, thus blowing up their chance of kicking deep. They had to do an onside kick, which is near zero success rate. So that's a lot of us winning in the 2nd half on D, vs a team loaded with O weapons.

I don't view the GB game as disappointing at all. We gave up a TD when a guy slipped. We only allowed 21. We picked a red hot Love 2x. We stuffed them on 4th also. We only allowed 6 first half pts. And on and on. Tons of good lately, that is getting almost no focus, compared to the bad. So I try to highlight those good moments.

Totally agree. If not for a rainy field where our guys were constantly slipping, our defense almost completely shut the Packers down. First half of the Lions game our defense got shredded, but the halftime adjustments worked and they played their asses off in the second half. Sure there were a couple fortunate plays there, but you don't go on a 27-0 second half run with the defense playing bad against one of the best offenses in the league.

Rose-colored lenses for sure. Check out the league averages on punts per game. How many times did Detroit punt? Green Bay? LA? Washington? Our defense has not played to their standard since the Seattle game. They admit to it. Wilks admitted to it.

If wilks comes out with the same bland defense he's had on display for the majority of the last few weeks, we're getting torched. We'll be able to tell on the first KC drive 👍🏻

edit: also, when was the last time the niners organization has thrown a coach under the bus as much as we have wilks? From the zero blitz's gaffe, to forcing him out of the booth, to Bosa saying he didn't know why he couldn't just get after the qb like before, to lynch saying the defense lacked effort in the last game. Wilks sucks brother
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Feb 9, 2024 at 2:59 PM ]
As the sleeps diminish, here lies the key to a sixth or cirrhosis.

Please, for the love of everything Holy, call a game worthy of a SB.
Originally posted by Disp:
Totally agree. If not for a rainy field where our guys were constantly slipping, our defense almost completely shut the Packers down. First half of the Lions game our defense got shredded, but the halftime adjustments worked and they played their asses off in the second half. Sure there were a couple fortunate plays there, but you don't go on a 27-0 second half run with the defense playing bad against one of the best offenses in the league.

Your defense isn't completely shutting a team down when they allow the other team to hold the ball on long sustained drives. It's not just about points. The 49ers offense had the ball three times in the first half of the Packers game… really only two full drives… because the defense could not get off the field. The only saving grace was they did not allow TDs on those drives, but the Packers successfully kept our much better offense on the sideline. Try to understand our offense put the team in position to have 10 first half points on three drives, which is better efficiency than we had per drive throughout the season… when we were one of the more efficient offenses of all time. Keeping this offense on the sideline is a win for any opposing team.
I have tons of faith in the D players [except Chase] but not much at all in Wilks.
Wilks needs to call the game of his life today.
Originally posted by Oilcan:

Like his career in SF depends on it

I agree with the poster above.

The first KC series will be telling. If they are gashing us like Detroit did, we are in a world of trouble.
Originally posted by kdoggie:
Originally posted by Oilcan:

Like his career in SF depends on it

Not sure but I thought I saw Wilks has a winning record vs KC and Mahomes
Insane first half Mr Steve… great job! Sincerely, a critic.

keep it up!
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Insane first half Mr Steve… great job! Sincerely, a critic.

keep it up!

Agreed
FINISH THE JOB WILKS!!!!

ONE HALF DOESNT COUNT!!!!

GO GET YOUR RING!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone