LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 243 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Yeah he definitely did his job tonight. Firing him after tonight would be ridiculous.

If he gets fired it'll be for stuff like Kyle having to overrule his playcalls late in the game. He's too vanilla most of the time, his blitzes are always predictable and he never seems to do things in a way that you feel he's setting up the offense for a new wrinkle later on in the game.

This x1000
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Yeah he definitely did his job tonight. Firing him after tonight would be ridiculous.

If he gets fired it'll be for stuff like Kyle having to overrule his playcalls late in the game. He's too vanilla most of the time, his blitzes are always predictable and he never seems to do things in a way that you feel he's setting up the offense for a new wrinkle later on in the game.
All valid points of Wilks overall
Tbh he did pretty well but man, niners need to get someone at Lb with greenlaw likely not getting back to full strength next year. Watching oren burks lose leverage in pass Def and defending the wrong gap was brutal but that's credit to Andy Reid for attacking him
Look at how creative Spagnuolo was with disguising how blitzes. Look at how he'd show one thing, but actually do another.

That's what a good defensive coordinator does.

That's what we need. A defensive coordinator who's aggressive, not one who drops back into a soft zone against the best QB in the game.
With no Greenlaw and a slow set of Safeties, (Gipson, Old ass Logan Ryan, Brown)

Was able to hold the Chiefs to 3pts in the first half... they got in FG range against a soft defense trying to prevent a TD..

Then late after stopping Mahomes again in the second half... Chiefs get a gift (ball bouncing of leg) and are in scoring position for their 1st TD of the game.

Where as we had..

Brock Purdy (who some feel should have won MVP)
CMC (who I feel should have won MVP)
Kittle
Aiyuk
Deebo
Juice (who made an impact.. catches and ran for a 1st down)
Dependable Jennings.

All those weapons for most of the game.
Defense did It's job for the most part.. wish I could say the same about the offense.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Defense did It's job for the most part.. wish I could say the same about the offense.

Wasn't that the case against the Chiefs in Kyle's 1st Super Bowl?

The same in Kyle's Championship game vs the Rams?

And of course this game.

These defenses can only hold those great offenses for so long. Eventually they need help with 1st down conversions and TDs in the second half, so they could attack those powerful desperate offenses in different ways. Make those offenses one dimensional.

That's what the Bucs did the Chiefs in their Super Bowl win.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 11, 2024 at 10:10 PM ]
Absolutely need better depth in secondary and one more CB who can back up anyone w/out missing a beat. Find another pro bowl LB and solid depth. Get a real defensive tackle to help AA.

Goodbye to Gipson/Ryan (old and slow), Hargrave (not worth the high pay) and Wilks if someone better is available.
So did it take another super bowl loss for Kyle to realize that he hired the wrong DC?

I saw the yelling into the head set during the time out.
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Absolutely need better depth in secondary and one more CB who can back up anyone w/out missing a beat. Find another pro bowl LB and solid depth. Get a real defensive tackle to help AA.

Goodbye to Gipson/Ryan (old and slow), Hargrave (not worth the high pay) and Wilks if someone better is available.

Hargrave was great today.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Wasn't that the case against the Chiefs in Kyle's 1st Super Bowl?

The same in Kyle's Championship game vs the Rams?

And of course this game.

These defenses can only hold those great offenses for so long. Eventually they need help with 1st down conversions and TDs in the second half, so they could attack those powerful desperate offenses in different ways. Make those offenses one dimensional.

That's what the Bucs did the Chiefs in their Super Bowl win.

Chiefs offense isn't great right now by any stretch. We played into their hand by allowing the drinking and dunking down the field.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Look at how creative Spagnuolo was with disguising how blitzes. Look at how he'd show one thing, but actually do another.

That's what a good defensive coordinator does.

That's what we need. A defensive coordinator who's aggressive, not one who drops back into a soft zone against the best QB in the game.

Was the real difference in the game. Chiefs tried to dictate terms to the 9ers. 9ers conversely just say here we are beat us. For the elite qbs they can because it's so simplistic. Alex was right.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Feb 11, 2024 at 10:43 PM ]
Wilkes can be upgraded. I hate the idea of yet another coordinator change for the D. It's really a shame this group couldn't have had one more year with DeMeco. That would have been fun to see in this game.

After a year of Wilkes I'm lukewarm trending on cool. If a really great candidate presents itself as an upgrade, I think it's worth considering. It just feels like the D underperformed. This D has enough talent to be historically good.The bar should be pretty high on their standards. I just don't think Wilkes consistently put them in good positions. He's not a slouch, but I'd be in favor of an upgrade. Nice guy, average coordinator.
Any assistant currently with Niners who learned off Saleh, Ryans and now Wilks who could be a candidate for a promotion?

Or is that wishful thinking?
He coached fantastically. Shanahan did the opposite.

That's the Niners. Can never have both. He and that unit answered the call. And somehow, the niners still lose because...oh that's right, their head coach, who can't win with an all pro offense and multiple chances to do so.

I'm done with kyle. Have been for a few years. He just keeps solidifying it.
Share 49ersWebzone