LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 192 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Wilks had some iffy games this season but the Super Bowl wasn't one of them. People need to get a grip.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Wilks had some iffy games this season but the Super Bowl wasn't one of them. People need to get a grip.
this. we gave 25 points in five quarters, this is very good.
Originally posted by communist:

And 7 of them was because of a muffed punt. This is on the offense and not really Purdy. I thought Purdy played great but some of his teammates didn't do their part and kyle did him no favors. Though got to also give alot of credit to the Chiefs defense and Spags. They are an elite defense. They carried the Chiefs offense all season and carried them again.
Originally posted by communist:

How many scores we gave up when it counted? Chiefs had 2 and 14 , and he had all of his DBs at the 1st down marker. I think they picked up 8 yards to cut it down to 3 and 6. Then he was about to do again until Kyle called timeout. He has to go!
We back to fire Wilks also?
Wilks made the same mistake as Saleh, let Mahomes to scramble and buy time to complete crucial passes.You can not leave the door open for Mahomes, when you do he wins.

Brings pressure on two crucial downs when you get to him with 4 the whole game, why? The whole reason why he was moved from the booth was his over aggressiveness when you have to play zone. But no, he calls bltz and we get burned.
Wilks was not the reason we lost the Super Bowl but he isn't a good enough coach. Our $$$$ DL struggled so much and the pass rush was so bad under him throughout the season. Yes, he should be fired.
My issue with Wilks, and it's been here all season, is his schemes are so vanilla it makes vanilla go damn.

There's no creativity, there's little to no disguising of anything.

Look at what Spagnuolo was doing, and then compare it to what Wilks does. Spagnuolo baited offenses into doing what he wanted them to do all season, Wilks on the other hand, hid nothing, and his scheme at the end of the game was awful.

He really isn't the right fit for this defense and I really hope he's gone next season.
[ Edited by linkboy on Feb 12, 2024 at 4:11 AM ]
Wilks is good at disguising, problem is that he goes back to vanilla often when it matters, you see that he plays a soft zone or blitzes, can't have that. What frustrates me as hell is that on the 4&1 in OT, Bosa again bites and goes for Pacheco instead of setting the edge, Mahomes escapes and runs for 8 yards. it's Wilks's job to make sure the players understand their role.This thing has been a reoccurring story during the season, and during Wilks career.

Spagnuolo is hands down the best DC in the league, His scheme held the 16-0 Pats to 14 Points.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Feb 12, 2024 at 4:12 AM ]
Football gods f'ed us when greenlaw went down. Defense wasn't the same after that

Defensed played well until the 4th qtr and OT. Soft coverages and with the secondary deep. Too much open space over the middle. We got exploited.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luis1985:
Wilks was not the reason we lost the Super Bowl but he isn't a good enough coach. Our $$$$ DL struggled so much and the pass rush was so bad under him throughout the season. Yes, he should be fired.

Even saleh in his first year didn't call a good year. I'm not saying Wilks should stick around but his first year was fortunate that they got to the SB despite his play calling. If anyone isn't good enough to get over that hump it's shanny. This guy has probably the best offensive talent to date and could only score 22 points. KC just wanted it more at the end. The battle in the trenches started to shift towards KC at the end. Shanny again got away from the run game for a bit.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Defensed played well until the 4th qtr and OT. Soft coverages and with the secondary deep. Too much open space over the middle. We got exploited.

Didn't help we lost greenlaw
Originally posted by Baldie:
Even saleh in his first year didn't call a good year. I'm not saying Wilks should stick around but his first year was fortunate that they got to the SB despite his play calling. If anyone isn't good enough to get over that hump it's shanny. This guy has probably the best offensive talent to date and could only score 22 points. KC just wanted it more at the end. The battle in the trenches started to shift towards KC at the end. Shanny again got away from the run game for a bit.

Spagnuolo is the main reason why we only scored 22 points. He was able to hold the 16-0 Pats to 14 points.
Spagnuolo is the best DC in the league in the playoffs, his defences are disciplined to the end, Saleh's, Wilks' have failed when it matters.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Wilks is good at disguising, problem is that he goes back to vanilla often when it matters, you see that he plays a soft zone or blitzes, can't have that. What frustrates me as hell is that on the 4&1 in OT, Bosa again bites and goes for Pacheco instead of setting the edge, Mahomes escapes and runs for 8 yards. it's Wilks's job to make sure the players understand their role.This thing has been a reoccurring story during the season, and during Wilks career.

Spagnuolo is hands down the best DC in the league, His scheme held the 16-0 Pats to 14 Points.

Bosa is a liability in run defense.
Share 49ersWebzone