LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 202 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Wilks is good at disguising, problem is that he goes back to vanilla often when it matters, you see that he plays a soft zone or blitzes, can't have that. What frustrates me as hell is that on the 4&1 in OT, Bosa again bites and goes for Pacheco instead of setting the edge, Mahomes escapes and runs for 8 yards. it's Wilks's job to make sure the players understand their role.This thing has been a reoccurring story during the season, and during Wilks career.

Spagnuolo is hands down the best DC in the league, His scheme held the 16-0 Pats to 14 Points.

Bosa is a liability in run defense.

Are you f**king kidding me?? No one on that line works harder than Bosa - including against the run.
Later Mr. Wilks!!! 👋👋 GTFO!!
[ Edited by JR80Forever on Feb 12, 2024 at 6:14 AM ]
Originally posted by raywm3:
Wilks is good at disguising, problem is that he goes back to vanilla often when it matters, you see that he plays a soft zone or blitzes, can't have that. What frustrates me as hell is that on the 4&1 in OT, Bosa again bites and goes for Pacheco instead of setting the edge, Mahomes escapes and runs for 8 yards. it's Wilks's job to make sure the players understand their role.This thing has been a reoccurring story during the season, and during Wilks career.

Spagnuolo is hands down the best DC in the league, His scheme held the 16-0 Pats to 14 Points.

Are you f**king kidding me?? No one on that line works harder than Bosa - including against the run.

Bosa has to maintain lane/edge integrity. Its 4 and 1 with the SB on the line. Mahomes is getting the ball......
Wilks wasn't the problem this game guys…. Turnovers and the offensive play calling was
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Bosa has to maintain lane/edge integrity. Its 4 and 1 with the SB on the line. Mahomes is getting the ball......

He and a great game but man did he get owned on that call. And it's fair to say your best players should show up on the best plays. He got fooled big time. He must be kicking himself for that. That's getting out coached and out played right there.
Wilks called a good game. That said, you know you're on the edge of a meltdown when the offensive minded head coach calls a timeout to force you to change your b******t play call
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Bosa is a liability on run defense. Detroit took advantage of him all game long. That being said, Wilkes has to do a better job with this scheme. The Chiefs have two guys on offense who will be the focus on big downs, Kelsey and Mahomes.

Both torched the 49ers on big downs last night. Wilks let the other teams best players beat us.

What did Spaggs do? Kittle, invisible. Debo, invisible. Aiyuk, invisible.

McCaffrey 1 TD on a trick play.

Spaggs did not let the 49ers best players beat him. He forced other players to step up and he's a Superbowl champ because of that.
[ Edited by HONEYBADGER on Feb 12, 2024 at 6:22 AM ]
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Wilks wasn't the problem this game guys…. Turnovers and the offensive play calling was

Him going into a soft-zone at the end of the 4th quarter and overtime (to the point where Kyle had to call a time out) was downright stupid.

All Mahomes did was just work the underneath routes, like teams did against us for most of the season.

Yes, for the most part, he called good game, then when push came to shove, and the game on the line, he folded and reverted back to what got people pissed off at him during the season.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Wilks called a good game. That said, you know you're on the edge of a meltdown when the offensive minded head coach calls a timeout to force you to change your b******t play call

This is something people aren't talking about enough. It's clear there is tension between Kyle and Wilks. I suspect there will be a "mutual parting" shortly. It's a shame Saleh wasn't fired. Would have loved to have him back for next year.
If your going to to hang onto this guy you better go get a couple stud DBs.

Originally posted by BYisGod:

This is something people aren't talking about enough. It's clear there is tension between Kyle and Wilks. I suspect there will be a "mutual parting" shortly. It's a shame Saleh wasn't fired. Would have loved to have him back for next year.

I wouldn't call that tension. Kyle was being a HC. Something Dan Quinn didn't do when Kyle was OC. I have no issue with it. I think Wilks improved our secondary and we were the best we've ever been against running QBs, so there is a plus. Need to get him some more back end help and a run stuffer.

The offense failed us far more than the defense.
Should've drafted mahomes. The only way the nfl will let you win Lombardis is to have their poster child on your team.
Originally posted by BYisGod:

Exactly. Wilks in the 4th and OT looked like this defense did for a good portion of the season. SOFT.
Originally posted by Livendiea9er:
Should've drafted mahomes. The only way the nfl will let you win Lombardis is to have their poster child on your team.

Mahomes landed in the perfect spot. He got to sit behind a good QB in Alex, and has one of best offensive minded coaches every in Reid.

He wouldn't have gotten that here.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Later Mr. Wilks!!! 👋👋 GTFO!!

Share 49ersWebzone