LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 216 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
He can go, i dont care if he had a decent gameplan most of the game, he couldn't finish the job. Is vic fangio or jim schwartz available?!?
Did he get hired somewhere else?
The D line played their best game of the year. Wilks challenged them to play better after their poor performances in the previous 2 games.
I do not put this lose on Wilks. No I do not think he should be fired. I think they need to draft better corner backs that can play man coverage. If they play better in man coverage that will allow the defense to blitz more.
Wilks should walk. His dumb prevent d is last century and it never works when the game matters. We should court Belichick seriously. Maybe ask him if he wants to be DC for a couple hears before he gets to be HC again.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The D line played their best game of the year. Wilks challenged them to play better after their poor performances in the previous 2 games.

I thought it was his best game plan. I could be wrong. But he probably called the best game of all the coordinators on that day and that was WITH a critical loss critical too that game plan: Greenlaw

The D just lost on conditioning and PM's sneak runs and Andy's excellent designs to target the SAM/SS injuries.

We had Ryan, Brown, Burks and DFF out there and Andy/PM could only muster 3 points in the first half.

Case in point:
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2024 at 12:08 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I thought it was his best game plan. I could be wrong. But he probably called the best game of all the coordinators on that day and that was WITH a critical loss critical too that game plan: Greenlaw

The D just lost on conditioning and PM's sneak runs and Andy's excellent designs to target the SAM/SS injuries.

Wilks called a great game, but Spags called a better one.
Originally posted by father49er:

Spags is allowed to be ultra aggressive (Andy and personnel). Wilks is not (Kyle and personnel). So I look at it from that context.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
He can go, i dont care if he had a decent gameplan most of the game, he couldn't finish the job. Is vic fangio or jim schwartz available?!?

Neither are.

Fangio is in Philadelphia, and Schwartz is in Cleveland.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Wilks is not the answer. Make him the DB coach and get someone with a proven track record. He's a good DC but he's not top 10

Originally posted by father49er:

Spaggs was not going to get the 49ers stars beat him. Chiefs held Kittle, Debo, Aiyuk under 100 yards total combined.

Wilks on the other hand allowed Kelsey to run wide open all night and Mahomes did whatever he wanted to when the game was on the line.

Wilks is too dumb, he can walk. He will never be a SB champion.
[ Edited by HONEYBADGER on Feb 12, 2024 at 12:22 PM ]
Very good game plan by Wilks.

Too many 3 & outs that tired the D out at the end.

I feel we could do better than Wilks but the loss isn't on him.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Very good game plan by Wilks.

Too many 3 & outs that tired the D out at the end.

I feel we could do better than Wilks but the loss isn't on him.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't think he's x's & o's creative enough for today's game and when you look back at this season they underwhelmed.

I have no idea if there is any young couch out there worth taking a shot at? Any college guys doing anything impressive defensively?
Originally posted by KiwiM3:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
He coached fantastically. Shanahan did the opposite.

That's the Niners. Can never have both. He and that unit answered the call. And somehow, the niners still lose because...oh that's right, their head coach, who can't win with an all pro offense and multiple chances to do so.

I'm done with kyle. Have been for a few years. He just keeps solidifying it.

The defense couldnt get a stop for anything at the end. That's not coaching fantastically. At some point your defense has to be able to hold the line at the end of a game. Wilks kept calling overly aggressive and entirely predictable blitzes that left huge gaps in the defense.

The Giants didn't beat Brady and the Patriots twice because they had this world-beating offense. They got stops at the end of their games.

If you can't trust your defense to make a single stop at the end of a game, you don't really have a defense that can be relied upon.

The defence did enough to win.

They held the Chiefs to under 20 points in regulation and forced 2 turnovers.

Their defense did enough to win. Our did not.
He wasn't the problem. It's hard to stop Mahomes, you must score more than they did. It's all on Kyle.
Share 49ersWebzone