LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 232 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Originally posted by KiwiM3:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
He coached fantastically. Shanahan did the opposite.

That's the Niners. Can never have both. He and that unit answered the call. And somehow, the niners still lose because...oh that's right, their head coach, who can't win with an all pro offense and multiple chances to do so.

I'm done with kyle. Have been for a few years. He just keeps solidifying it.

The defense couldnt get a stop for anything at the end. That's not coaching fantastically. At some point your defense has to be able to hold the line at the end of a game. Wilks kept calling overly aggressive and entirely predictable blitzes that left huge gaps in the defense.

The Giants didn't beat Brady and the Patriots twice because they had this world-beating offense. They got stops at the end of their games.

If you can't trust your defense to make a single stop at the end of a game, you don't really have a defense that can be relied upon.

The defence did enough to win.

They held the Chiefs to under 20 points in regulation and forced 2 turnovers.

Their defense did enough to win. Our did not.

Their defense held Kittle, DBo, Aiyuk to under 100 total combined for the game

They did more than enough to win. They ritually sodomized us.

Chiefs had almost 300 yards in the second half. Andy Reid made adjustments at halftime and beat Wilks like a red headed foster kid the rest of the game. Wilks had nothing.
[ Edited by HONEYBADGER on Feb 12, 2024 at 2:25 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:

That's the Niners. Can never have both. He and that unit answered the call. And somehow, the niners still lose because...oh that's right, their head coach, who can't win with an all pro offense and multiple chances to do so.

The defense couldnt get a stop for anything at the end. That's not coaching fantastically. At some point your defense has to be able to hold the line at the end of a game. Wilks kept calling overly aggressive and entirely predictable blitzes that left huge gaps in the defense.

The Giants didn't beat Brady and the Patriots twice because they had this world-beating offense. They got stops at the end of their games.

If you can't trust your defense to make a single stop at the end of a game, you don't really have a defense that can be relied upon.

Chiefs had almost 300 yards in the second half. Andy Reid made adjustments at halftime and beat Wilks like a red headed foster kid the rest of the game. Wilks had nothing.

Wilks had the look of a man without answers on the TV closeups during that final drive.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
I can't imagine that folks here think we should keep this guy because he got the defense to play great for 3 quarters last night. After the debacle of a season we've had on defense with a loaded roster that boasts pro bowlers at almost every level.

On paper, we should have been the defense KC was boasting. We have the personnel to wreak havoc. Wilks was a disastrous DC. Would be awful if Kyle gives him another year here…
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Team49ers:
He can go, i dont care if he had a decent gameplan most of the game, he couldn't finish the job. Is vic fangio or jim schwartz available?!?

Praying for a miracle with Belichick. Schwartz is not available. Pete Carroll ? Fangio is good but plays a different scheme that's why Kyle didn't keep him around. Although in hindsight he would've gotten more out of this defense than Wilks did…
Originally posted by DrEll:
I can't imagine that folks here think we should keep this guy because he got the defense to play great for 3 quarters last night. After the debacle of a season we've had on defense with a loaded roster that boasts pro bowlers at almost every level.

On paper, we should have been the defense KC was boasting. We have the personnel to wreak havoc. Wilks was a disastrous DC. Would be awful if Kyle gives him another year here…

Wilks should be judged on the overall body of work this season.

That said, I thought the defense last night was about as good as we could have hoped for after seeing that body of work.
Go get Pete or Vrabel or somebody high energy and not milktoast.
Originally posted by DrEll:

Agree, he should be cleaning out his office today. There are better choices out there. He took over a talented Defense, they got him to the big dance and he pooped the bed. He had his chance. Bye bye.
I predicted Wilks would be fired after the season, and that might still happen, but I only want that to happen if we can find a decent replacement.

Wilks was not the main reason we lost yesterday, but I'm still not a huge fan of his defenses.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I predicted Wilks would be fired after the season, and that might still happen, but I only want that to happen if we can find a decent replacement.

Wilks was not the main reason we lost yesterday, but I'm still not a huge fan of his defenses.

Guy can't call a blitz for his life. Did you see Spags calls yesterday ? That D was stepping on Brock's neck before he even got a chance to grip the ball. Wilks OTOH called blitzes that didn't even come close to Mahomes and instead left guys wide open. He needs to be fired ASAP.

Something I didn't realize- this is only his 3rd year calling a defense. He's older, but it's not like he is this grizzled coordinator with years of experience. Kind of wild. Hoping we go with a younger guy next time out. Is Bullocks ready? Or Tapp? Holland is older, so I doubt it's him.

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:

Wilks had the look of a man without answers on the TV closeups during that final drive.

You guys agree it's safe to say teh Queefs pillaged our ass?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Something I didn't realize- this is only his 3rd year calling a defense. He's older, but it's not like he is this grizzled coordinator with years of experience. Kind of wild. Hoping we go with a younger guy next time out. Is Bullocks ready? Or Tapp? Holland is older, so I doubt it's him.

We need to poach a guy from Spags staff
The D was up against an ALL-WORLD QB. That said, the defense held up pretty well until Dre got hurt. As soon as he went down the KC offense started attacking his position. Burks isn't Dre and it showed. KC's offense got rolling and then the whole focus of the game changed. Wilks wasn't able to come up with a viable solution. Just imagine for a moment what Demeco would have done in that situation.
Originally posted by eastie:
The D was up against an ALL-WORLD QB. That said, the defense held up pretty well until Dre got hurt. As soon as he went down the KC offense started attacking his position. Burks isn't Dre and it showed. KC's offense got rolling and then the whole focus of the game changed. Wilks wasn't able to come up with a viable solution. Just imagine for a moment what Demeco would have done in that situation.

Ryans faced KC we gave up 44. Here we had 1 TD in regulation from a BS punt fumble, 16 yard drive/play. KC had to punt all game, was picked, was stripped, was sacked, we hit Mahomes a ton. Needed ST and O to carry any weight at all.
Wilks and his defence showed up at the Superbowl. End of story.
Share 49ersWebzone