LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 304 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Unless there's a real good plan B set in stone, Shananigans won't let him walk after first year. It's not his fault Dre went down and our special teams weren't all that special. Hopefully, he improves a lot by next season and Niners add a couple of elite players and solid depth. Our dudes get injured a lot.
They need to can this dude. Hes not aggressive enough. Our headcoach shouldn't be be burning timeouts to correct his play calls
His blitzes are predictable and I'm sure that our run defense will be worse next year.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/there-s-only-one-scapegoat-for-49ers-super-bowl-loss-and-it-s-not-kyle-shanahan/ar-BB1ibmiF?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=eca3c6c5adbb4d11bf236fcee3d26fe0&ei=13
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
They need to can this dude. Hes not aggressive enough. Our headcoach shouldn't be be burning timeouts to correct his play calls
Shannhan feeling the need to correct him in the SB makes me think it's a real possibility he doesn't return.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/there-s-only-one-scapegoat-for-49ers-super-bowl-loss-and-it-s-not-kyle-shanahan/ar-BB1ibmiF?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=eca3c6c5adbb4d11bf236fcee3d26fe0&ei=13

Good article. How do you call a good game for 3 quarters and then just end up with 💩 for brains when you need to be at your best in the last quarter and beyond?
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by BP13:
Belichick would be very intriguing but it will never happen. Pete would be interesting too. I'd go for that. Another option would be Vrabel.
not sure if Kyle would want these guys, they are all Alphas and Kyle kinda wants to be the big dog

When Kyle was first hired here as head coach, Mike Vrabel was his #2 choice(Vic Fangio was #1) for DC.

The problem is Vrabel would just be here for one season and then dip out.
I thought the 49ers showed previous interest in Vrabel but couldn't remember if it was with Shannahan at the helm or one of the previous knotheads.

I could leave with one year if it gives the best shot at a championship.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Shannhan feeling the need to correct him in the SB makes me think it's a real possibility he doesn't return.

Depends on who is available to replace him. Especially when so many top candidates have new jobs. Even if they did want to change course, keeping Wilks for another season might be the best option.
Originally posted by Heroism:
When Kyle was first hired here as head coach, Mike Vrabel was his #2 choice(Vic Fangio was #1) for DC.

The problem is Vrabel would just be here for one season and then dip out.

I thought Gus Bradley was his #2 choice and when that didn't happen he grabbed a guy that had been on Bradley's staff in Saleh.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I thought Gus Bradley was his #2 choice and when that didn't happen he grabbed a guy that had been on Bradley's staff in Saleh.

I think it was Maiocco that said Shanahan said he wanted a 5-man front in his interview with Jed, and that Vrabel and Fangio were his main targets. 49ers tried to interview Vrabel but Texans promoted him(Chip Kelly tried to hire Vrabel the year prior, too); 49ers reached out to Bears about Fangio. Rumor was that Fangio was open to leaving Chicago if Bears let him out of his contract. That didn't happen. Shanahan settles for Seattle-style 4-3 under, which technically is a 5-man front.

found some old tweets

It's interesting looking back at Shanahan's original vision for the defense. The wide 9 is nothing like what he initially had in mind.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 12, 2024 at 10:06 PM ]

Bosa was held horribly on Mahomes 4th down option run!
0 Blitz on 3rd and 6 in OT
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Bosa was held horribly on Mahomes 4th down option run!

I swear I thought I was the only one who saw that HOLD !!
Originally posted by 9moon:
I swear I thought I was the only one who saw that HOLD !!

Hey moon! Are we back to flamethrowing the coaching staff? What is it, 2020 all over again?

hahaha
I will give Wilks credit for improving as the season went on and I do think he had the defense ready to go for the SB. However, I don't think you need a coach to get a defense hyped for the SB, anyone could've done that so I don't give him as much credit for that. Also, our defense is so stacked that I think any average fan could've coached them and gotten similar results this year. I've argued that we have criminally underachieved, regardless of the final rankings/stats. It was a season of "bend, don't break". Almost like Wilks plays a form of Prevent defense on every down. It felt like we depended on the other team making mistakes instead of forcing those mistakes.

And every once in a while when we blitzed, it appeared there was no real coordination/plan on picking up the eligible receivers except for the outside wideouts. In the SB, Kelce eventually had his way with us. WHY?? How do you let THAT guy have succcess when everyone in the world knows the offense centers around him? Warner mentioned they went in with a plan to stop Kelce but admitted that he got away anyways. Bro- he was SINGLE covered on almost every play!! Of course he's gonna get loose. I sit here and still cannot fathom that Wilks did not scheme Kelce right out of the gameplan with bracket coverage. It's not like they had other weapons to make us pay for it.

In my humble opinion, Wilks was given a Ferrari and used it like a Chevy. Could you imagine what our defense would look like with Spags or Schwartz or Lou Anarumo, etc...? I feel that even if we had Saleh or Ryans back, some of those games wouldn't have been so hard.
Share 49ersWebzone