LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 181 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Let's see if Wilks can make some changes to the defensive scheme during the off season.
Held Chiefs to 6 points on first 9 drives ....
Originally posted by raywm3:
I will give Wilks credit for improving as the season went on and I do think he had the defense ready to go for the SB. However, I don't think you need a coach to get a defense hyped for the SB, anyone could've done that so I don't give him as much credit for that. Also, our defense is so stacked that I think any average fan could've coached them and gotten similar results this year. I've argued that we have criminally underachieved, regardless of the final rankings/stats. It was a season of "bend, don't break". Almost like Wilks plays a form of Prevent defense on every down. It felt like we depended on the other team making mistakes instead of forcing those mistakes.

And every once in a while when we blitzed, it appeared there was no real coordination/plan on picking up the eligible receivers except for the outside wideouts. In the SB, Kelce eventually had his way with us. WHY?? How do you let THAT guy have succcess when everyone in the world knows the offense centers around him? Warner mentioned they went in with a plan to stop Kelce but admitted that he got away anyways. Bro- he was SINGLE covered on almost every play!! Of course he's gonna get loose. I sit here and still cannot fathom that Wilks did not scheme Kelce right out of the gameplan with bracket coverage. It's not like they had other weapons to make us pay for it.

In my humble opinion, Wilks was given a Ferrari and used it like a Chevy. Could you imagine what our defense would look like with Spags or Schwartz or Lou Anarumo, etc...? I feel that even if we had Saleh or Ryans back, some of those games wouldn't have been so hard.

Over the season, I think the defense underperformed. But with that said, would Saleh or Ryan's have done better against the Chiefs? Their histories suggest no.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Let's see if Wilks can make some changes to the defensive scheme during the off season.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Over the season, I think the defense underperformed. But with that said, would Saleh or Ryan's have done better against the Chiefs? Their histories suggest no.

All excellent points. He's not going anywhere.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Shannhan feeling the need to correct him in the SB makes me think it's a real possibility he doesn't return.

Depends on who is available to replace him. Especially when so many top candidates have new jobs. Even if they did want to change course, keeping Wilks for another season might be the best option.

Mike Vrabel is available?
  • jcs
  • Veteran

But had no answers when it mattered the most
Originally posted by jcs:

Like Fangio and Saleh.

I say keep him.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by raywm3:
I will give Wilks credit for improving as the season went on and I do think he had the defense ready to go for the SB. However, I don't think you need a coach to get a defense hyped for the SB, anyone could've done that so I don't give him as much credit for that. Also, our defense is so stacked that I think any average fan could've coached them and gotten similar results this year. I've argued that we have criminally underachieved, regardless of the final rankings/stats. It was a season of "bend, don't break". Almost like Wilks plays a form of Prevent defense on every down. It felt like we depended on the other team making mistakes instead of forcing those mistakes.

And every once in a while when we blitzed, it appeared there was no real coordination/plan on picking up the eligible receivers except for the outside wideouts. In the SB, Kelce eventually had his way with us. WHY?? How do you let THAT guy have succcess when everyone in the world knows the offense centers around him? Warner mentioned they went in with a plan to stop Kelce but admitted that he got away anyways. Bro- he was SINGLE covered on almost every play!! Of course he's gonna get loose. I sit here and still cannot fathom that Wilks did not scheme Kelce right out of the gameplan with bracket coverage. It's not like they had other weapons to make us pay for it.

In my humble opinion, Wilks was given a Ferrari and used it like a Chevy. Could you imagine what our defense would look like with Spags or Schwartz or Lou Anarumo, etc...? I feel that even if we had Saleh or Ryans back, some of those games wouldn't have been so hard.

This Cheifs offense isn't anywhere near the caliber of past Cheifs offenses.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Like Fangio and Saleh.

I say keep him.

Fangio helped get us back in a blowout game....Saleh blew it...

Wilks forced Kyle to waste a Time out because he fell back on bad habits when it mattered most....

We need a killer calling the D not a guy who goes soft when the pressure mounts.

Chiefs had almost 300 yards of offense in the second half.

Abject failure by any metric.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Like Fangio and Saleh.

I say keep him.

I am not sure how I feel about this yet. Still too soon after the loss and as I said in the other thread he seems inept at times. I have a feeling Wilks will want to alter our wide 9 and front some etc. Not sure how that would work out for the team and players etc. Its tough because I don think he's a natural x/o coach, creative etc, but he seems like such an A+ man otherwise and the players seem to respect him.

If there is someone they think could be a better fit than do it. For as busy as Kyle is I think he needs to spend more time on the defensive side as HC as well.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Mike Vrabel is available?

Or Brandon Staley - we looked at Vrabel and ended up hiring a guy from Staley's staff.

EDIT: the thing i dont think we can underestimate is that seemingly Kyle just doesn't trust wilks - that T/O he took where he blasted Wilks and essentially called teh play was telling. Regardless of how the D played in the SB overall or what Wilks can do in Y2, if Kyle cannot trust him in big moments, its better to find someone else.

If Kyle has trust in him, i'm fine with Wilks staying, but i don't want a negative atmosphere in the locker room between HC/OC & his DC
[ Edited by mtl_49er on Feb 13, 2024 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Had they lost to Green Bay, he would have been gone. Just fire this clown already. Get someone actually innovative
What about Shanny calling a TO when he didn't likes Wilks play call? Was this true?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Just get rid of the Wide-9.
Share 49ersWebzone