There are 185 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Rex is a s**t show. I can't see Kyle having anything to do with him.

I am surprised Ron Rivera hasn't come up around here with all the other crazy ideas we're seeing. He actually fits the mo of what we've been doing on defense under Kyle.
I think Rivera signed on another team

I think cowpokes interviewed him and Rex.

I am surprised Ron Rivera hasn't come up around here with all the other crazy ideas we're seeing. He actually fits the mo of what we've been doing on defense under Kyle.

Rivera?! No. God no.

Wilks ain't the answer. The ideal is belichick and he serves as assistant head coach but it would be clash of egos. But god, does Kyle need a guy like shanahan to bounce off/override him, but he can't do that as an assistant necessarily.
Drive chart to begin and we found a way to lose it, of course:

from NFL.com:
The Chiefs' first seven drives of the game: punt, punt, fumble, punt, field goal, interception, punt. Travis Kelce was screaming at Andy Reid, and this felt like a team on the brink of coming apart against arguably the best roster in the NFL.
I am a buddy Ryan fan, and a 46 defense fan....but you absolute have to have CBs with great closing speed...since you have to hedge against the deep ball, leaving some space underneath. A whole ton of that defense works of the premises that WRs will not be able to get behind the secondary due to the pressure.

Without the horses to carry that defense, you got problems...

I think Huff would rock in it, I think AA would explode in that defense being that hybrid DT/END pin guy....could be a lot like Cowboy was for the 49ers....if they ran a pure version of it that would mean a ton of Bosa one on one with the Center... there is a lot to like about it.....

but

They would need at least one more really good CB, they would need a bit of a tweetner cover LB/edge rusher and neither of those grow on trees. Ideally they would also need a super stout run stuffing DT (but they need that already)

As much as I love Buddy Ryan, I dont think Rex Ryan would be a good fit for the zillion dollars we have sunk in our line.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Rivera?! No. God no.

Wilks ain't the answer. The ideal is belichick and he serves as assistant head coach but it would be clash of egos. But god, does Kyle need a guy like shanahan to bounce off/override him, but he can't do that as an assistant necessarily.

I know I was just spit balling, but imo belichick is bizzaro dreaming. I would never say no, but I cannot see it happening.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

from NFL.com:
The Chiefs' first seven drives of the game: punt, punt, fumble, punt, field goal, interception, punt. Travis Kelce was screaming at Andy Reid, and this felt like a team on the brink of coming apart against arguably the best roster in the NFL.

killer man, that defense played great at first, but once Greenlaw went down we had a huge hole they exposed and Wilks doesn't know how compensate so he tries to to blitz. However, we don't disguise blitzes very well and our defenders show their hand early and often... On top of all that now fatigue sets in.

As a counter example, That McDuffie blitz was perfection of timing and bad play by us. Imagine if Purdy changed his cadence or looked to his left first? We were soooo close man, incredibly frustrating.

For this one I feel like the defense did their part well beyond anyone could have hoped given their recent showings. The offense unfortunately shot themselves in the foot on so many plays.

I know some of the stats say otherwise, but I get the feeling the players weren't happy under this defense and we became worse. Which is why I think exploring other DC options is valid.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Rivera?! No. God no.

I know I was just spit balling, but imo belichick is bizzaro dreaming. I would never say no, but I cannot see it happening.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

from NFL.com:

killer man, that defense played great at first, but once Greenlaw went down we had a huge hole they exposed and Wilks doesn't know how compensate so he tries to to blitz. However, we don't disguise blitzes very well and our defenders show their hand early and often... On top of all that now fatigue sets in.

As a counter example, That McDuffie blitz was perfection of timing and bad play by us. Imagine if Purdy changed his cadence or looked to his left first? We were soooo close man, incredibly frustrating.

For this one I feel like the defense did their part well beyond anyone could have hoped given their recent showings. The offense unfortunately shot themselves in the foot on so many plays.

I know some of the stats say otherwise, but I get the feeling the players weren't happy under this defense and we became worse. Which is why I think exploring other DC options is valid.

Chiefs adjusted at half. Wilks did not.

Chiefs had almost 300 yards of offense in the second half alone. Wilks thought Reid wasn't going to adjust and Reid ate his lunch.

Wilks should get shown the door tomorrow or it will be more of the same next year.
What a joke if this guy gets a year 2 with us.
So I went back and looked at the 3rd and 6 that the Chiefs converted on their last drive.

Wilks called an all-out blitz and had his DBs lined up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. He left the underneath routes totally wide open.

Here's the play directly after the snap.

Rice runs an underneath route while the other three players clear out the secondary, who's already drifting back to prevent the big play. There's nobody left to cover Rice, and he turns a two yard pass in a first down conversion.
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Chiefs adjusted at half. Wilks did not.

Chiefs had almost 300 yards of offense in the second half alone. Wilks thought Reid wasn't going to adjust and Reid ate his lunch.

Wilks should get shown the door tomorrow or it will be more of the same next year.

This
Originally posted by linkboy:
So I went back and looked at the 3rd and 6 that the Chiefs converted on their last drive.

Wilks called an all-out blitz and had his DBs lined up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. He left the underneath routes totally wide open.

Rice runs an underneath route while the other three players clear out the secondary, who's already drifting back to prevent the big play. There's nobody left to cover Rice, and he turns a two yard pass in a first down conversion.

Might be misremembering but I believe this one Romo called out as a mistake in real time.

Originally posted by mcwoot:
Might be misremembering but I believe this one Romo called out as a mistake in real time.

He did.

Rivera is the guy I've been kind of eyeing. He came up under Jim Johnson and worked alongside Spagnuolo and Sean McDermott for years. His defenses in Chicago and with the Chargers got better every single season. It appears that Wilks is staying but if he were to leave, Rivera might be the best option out available. He's certainly more than experienced enough and he's a local California guy who went to Cal too.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Kyle's new scapegoat.

KYLE sorry... Lynch needs to take over this team and tell Kyle what he needs to hear..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Rivera is the guy I've been kind of eyeing. He came up under Jim Johnson and worked alongside Spagnuolo and Sean McDermott for years. His defenses in Chicago and with the Chargers got better every single season. It appears that Wilks is staying but if he were to leave, Rivera might be the best option out available. He's certainly more than experienced enough and he's a local California guy who went to Cal too.

I know that's why I said he is actually a logical fit as he doesn't blitz much and goes with a 4 man rush while dropping 7 back. He has a solid track record as a DC and my understanding is players respect him.

He is also a failed HC like Spags so coming to a roster like this may be his best option for the rest of his career. IMO Kyle needs a coach who can "handle" the defensive side without him worrying much. It sounds like this year Kyle had to devote more attention to the defense which while I think isn't actually a bad thing, but if were talking about getting the best out of everyone Rivera may be a great fit.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by linkboy:

This has been a trend with Wilks all season. He's botched several calls that led to big plays for the opposition. Minnesota before half comes to mind.

Then his players stop playing for him. We never saw that with Saleh or Demeco. Wilks needed 2 weeks to prep his guys for the SB with Kyle watching over his shoulder and even then he lost track late in the game and OT.

And people want him back ? Why ?
Share 49ersWebzone