There are 194 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by linkboy:
So I went back and looked at the 3rd and 6 that the Chiefs converted on their last drive.

Wilks called an all-out blitz and had his DBs lined up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. He left the underneath routes totally wide open.

Here's the play directly after the snap.

Rice runs an underneath route while the other three players clear out the secondary, who's already drifting back to prevent the big play. There's nobody left to cover Rice, and he turns a two yard pass in a first down conversion.

This has been a trend with Wilks all season. He's botched several calls that led to big plays for the opposition. Minnesota before half comes to mind.

Then his players stop playing for him. We never saw that with Saleh or Demeco. Wilks needed 2 weeks to prep his guys for the SB with Kyle watching over his shoulder and even then he lost track late in the game and OT.

And people want him back ? Why ?

Wacha mean WHY?

Same reason for these fans to want to keep Shanny as our HC... they love being the 2nd best team either in the NFC or NFL !!
PFF calls out the massive drop in Defensive performance over the end of season

49ers defense from Week 14 through Super Bowl:
Overall grade 65.4 (24th)
Rush grade 69.7 (16th)
Coverage grade 69.5 (15th)
Run defense grade 52.4 (28th)
He won't be back the all 22 is not kind to his gameplan in the second half. Not to mention Bosa saying what he said in regards to the front 7.

Thank him for his contributions, but we need to get a Co-HC type of DC so Kyle can focus solely on offense. Vrabel fits that bill if you can get him.
Originally posted by jcp243:
Not to mention Bosa saying what he said in regards to the front 7.

Missed this, can you elaborate?
Yea this guy does not need to be retained unless for good or bad they will let the guy coach how he wants to. I beleive they need to be looking at someone from Spags staff.
I have no issue is Kyle wants to replace Wilks. I just hope they don't do it until they know for sure that they can get a better replacement.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I have no issue is Kyle wants to replace Wilks. I just hope they don't do it until they know for sure that they can get a better replacement.

I think he'll be back. Dude has to get way more creative with his front 7.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Rex is a s**t show. I can't see Kyle having anything to do with him.

I am surprised Ron Rivera hasn't come up around here with all the other crazy ideas we're seeing. He actually fits the mo of what we've been doing on defense under Kyle.
I think Rivera signed on another team

I think cowpokes interviewed him and Rex.

Rivera is the guy I've been kind of eyeing. He came up under Jim Johnson and worked alongside Spagnuolo and Sean McDermott for years. His defenses in Chicago and with the Chargers got better every single season. It appears that Wilks is staying but if he were to leave, Rivera might be the best option out available. He's certainly more than experienced enough and he's a local California guy who went to Cal too.

I know that's why I said he is actually a logical fit as he doesn't blitz much and goes with a 4 man rush while dropping 7 back. He has a solid track record as a DC and my understanding is players respect him.

He is also a failed HC like Spags so coming to a roster like this may be his best option for the rest of his career. IMO Kyle needs a coach who can "handle" the defensive side without him worrying much. It sounds like this year Kyle had to devote more attention to the defense which while I think isn't actually a bad thing, but if were talking about getting the best out of everyone Rivera may be a great fit.

Rivera will never be a HC again so if Kyle were to bring him in, he'd be a fairly long term solution at DC. He definitely has a better long term track record than Wilks as a playcaller.
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Rex is a s**t show. I can't see Kyle having anything to do with him.

I am surprised Ron Rivera hasn't come up around here with all the other crazy ideas we're seeing. He actually fits the mo of what we've been doing on defense under Kyle.
I think Rivera signed on another team

I think cowpokes interviewed him and Rex.

Rivera is the guy I've been kind of eyeing. He came up under Jim Johnson and worked alongside Spagnuolo and Sean McDermott for years. His defenses in Chicago and with the Chargers got better every single season. It appears that Wilks is staying but if he were to leave, Rivera might be the best option out available. He's certainly more than experienced enough and he's a local California guy who went to Cal too.

I know that's why I said he is actually a logical fit as he doesn't blitz much and goes with a 4 man rush while dropping 7 back. He has a solid track record as a DC and my understanding is players respect him.

He is also a failed HC like Spags so coming to a roster like this may be his best option for the rest of his career. IMO Kyle needs a coach who can "handle" the defensive side without him worrying much. It sounds like this year Kyle had to devote more attention to the defense which while I think isn't actually a bad thing, but if were talking about getting the best out of everyone Rivera may be a great fit.

Rivera will never be a HC again so if Kyle were to bring him in, he'd be a fairly long term solution at DC. He definitely has a better long term track record than Wilks as a playcaller.

Agreed where as Vrabel is probably a 1 year rental. He is a viable alternative and I would prefer him to Wilks. Something was just off.
Please get fired

Agree I feel the same. At minimum Wilks must never do this all out blitz crap without anyone defending underneath ever again..
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agree I feel the same. At minimum Wilks must never do this all out blitz crap without anyone defending underneath ever again..

remember during the 3 game losing streak it was said the front isnt connected to the back on d and they were all out of sync.... yeah that was a thing all year and showed up at the end.
I honestly thought he coached the Super Bowl pretty well for most of the way. Of course the end was not great. But that's always the case with Mahomes. It's the rest of the season I question. Even the playoffs where we got gashed against the Packers and Lions. The zero blitz at half vs the Vikings. Just a lot of things during the season. I'm just putting some of them. Because there was a lot. But for 2 - 3 quarters in the Super Bowl I thought they finally played up to their potential. After they got called out. So occasionally he can do it. Just not consistently. I'm not sure what to make of him. You could dump him and get worse too. By year end he seemed to have it figured out a little better. But it took the whole year. All the way to the Super Bowl.

Why even give him the chance to make that mistake again?

remember during the 3 game losing streak it was said the front isnt connected to the back on d and they were all out of sync.... yeah that was a thing all year and showed up at the end.

The question is, who could replace him? I feel like they would really consider Bullocks. But a rookie DC going into another critical year, IDK..
Share 49ersWebzone