There are 222 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Coach Wilks, I apologize for thinking the defense may take a step back this season!

Looked great

health and depth will be the question.

Yeah our depth is a huge concern of mine and it was the reason why we looked horrible in preseason since these are the guys that play most of the games. We cannot have a single serious injury on our defensive line or opposing teams will have their way.
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Coach Wilks, I apologize for thinking the defense may take a step back this season!

Looked great

Yeah our depth is a huge concern of mine and it was the reason why we looked horrible in preseason since these are the guys that play most of the games. We cannot have a single serious injury on our defensive line or opposing teams will have their way.

I'll disagree… lightly.

Yes some concerns about second string but the level of first team play will help elevate one of those backups when they come in.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by 9moon:
... WAS this guy out for the game,.,,... or just got no idea on how to drive a Lambo ??

7 points..... did you even watch the game?

DID YOU ???

Did you even noticed how 7 got the INT ??

like Isiah Thomas told Pippen... " MENNN, GO TO THE PARK !! "

Excellent performance today, but I will wait wait before making that conclusion. We don't know how bad Kenny Picket is. I want to see how the defense play against a top 10 QB.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Good game. I didn't notice a ton of blitzing either

I think this is a specific game plan against Kenny Pickett.

https://stillcurtain.com/2022/12/01/steeler-qb-kenny-pickett-eye-popping-numbers-vs-blitz/

"Kenny Pickett continues to thrive against the blitz: Pickett has a 71.7% completion rate against the blitz, which is the highest among all NFL quarterbacks."
[ Edited by libertyforever on Sep 10, 2023 at 7:30 PM ]
i like how he is continuing the bald headed DC on the sideline tradition. we dont do the DC in the box thing
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
i like how he is continuing the bald headed DC on the sideline tradition. we dont do the DC in the box thing

Pretty sure Wilks was in the booth, not on the sideline. When the broadcast showed "Wilks" on the sideline I'm 99% sure that was assistant coach Johnny Holland.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Ark49er:

Looked great

I'll disagree… lightly.

Yes some concerns about second string but the level of first team play will help elevate one of those backups when they come in.

Just keep rotating guys regularly and this will elevate the second string as they gain valuable reps in this defense and ms well as it's gonna keep guys healthy
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

Pretty sure Wilks was in the booth, not on the sideline. When the broadcast showed "Wilks" on the sideline I'm 99% sure that was assistant coach Johnny Holland.

It was and Wilks isn't bald and lighter lol
Im surprised how good it looked. Remember even with Ryans who was coaching with Saleh it took like 6-7 games before we hit our rhythm.

The fact Wilks came in from the outside and we haven't missed a beat is huge. It will only get better as we self-scout too.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, and I think he'll be netting us a compensatory pick in about two years.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

https://stillcurtain.com/2022/12/01/steeler-qb-kenny-pickett-eye-popping-numbers-vs-blitz/

"Kenny Pickett continues to thrive against the blitz: Pickett has a 71.7% completion rate against the blitz, which is the highest among all NFL quarterbacks."

i do think we will blitz more than we did with Ryans but I don't think he will blotz as much as he has in the past because this is the best DL he's ever had he may not need to
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
... WAS this guy out for the game,.,,... or just got no idea on how to drive a Lambo ??

7 points..... did you even watch the game?

DID YOU ???

Did you even noticed how 7 got the INT ??

like Isiah Thomas told Pippen... " MENNN, GO TO THE PARK !! "

You really need to slow down with the drugs
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Sep 11, 2023 at 6:15 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Only thing I'm concerned about is stopping the run. Wilks is a secondary guy. He had Brian Burns, Matt Ioaniddis and Derrick Brown and still only were ranked #22 against the run.

It is a concern. I'd rather be great against the run and OK against the pass because I think if you can't defend the run you're way more susceptible to play action and misdirection.

Once you have an offense that can score like what Brock has, then you go pass defense to stop the other team from catching up.

I think the Steelers stopped running after 49ers scored on that McCaffrey TD.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by libertyforever:

i do think we will blitz more than we did with Ryans but I don't think he will blotz as much as he has in the past because this is the best DL he's ever had he may not need to

He didn't need to blitz. No reason to expose your defense to a big play by sending DBs in on the pass rush when you don't need to.
Share 49ersWebzone