There are 231 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
I mean, if you kind of read between the lines what Kyle was saying when asked about his coaching staff yesterday seems like this was a probability. I wonder how close he came to getting fired midseason.

I think after the call against Minnesota at the end of the first half it probably came *really* close. The compromise was moving to the field after the bye, which did seem to help, but the root problem of the pairing remained.

I think Hysterikal is right - even if they won the SB they would have let him go. Too many potential better matches out there.

Again, this, they probably should have canned him then. Just a hard thing to do mid season.

Yeah. Problem with mid-season firings is that you are handing it over to a guy already on staff. That timing just removes a voice from the room, but doesn't bring one in.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
3 pts to mahomes in first half. 19 in regulation with 7 coming off of a muffed punt. Loss is squarely on KS and the offense. Wilks is being scapegoated. I am not saying he should be back but let's not act like it wasn't the fault of the offense we lost.

offense gave the defense the lead in their final possessions of regulation and OT. the defense couldn't hold the lead. the game was lost by the defense.

I think the SB was probably his best effort, but it was the entire season. Our defense regressed. Its one of those marriages that didnt work out.

Personality-wise, after Saleh and Ryans, Wilks didn't seem to gel with the players all that well, either. You just didn't get the passion from them when discussing him like they were used to.

I have been saying this the longest time. Steve Wilkes does not have a DC pedigree or resume... Look at his history. Where has he succeeded successfully as an XOs DC? This hire is on Shanahan. Huge mistake. Wrong guy to hire.

Wilks served as head football coach at Savannah State College for one season (1999) and compiled a record of 5–6
Wilks was hired by the Chicago Bears as defensive backs coach on February 16, 2006.[1] The Bears announced on December 30, 2008, that they had fired Wilks.
Wilks was hired as defensive backs coach of the San Diego Chargers in 2009 when former Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera moved to the same position in San Diego
Rivera hired Wilks as secondary coach on January 15, 2012. He was promoted to assistant head coach in 2015.
After defensive coordinator Sean McDermott left to become head coach of the Buffalo Bills, Wilks was promoted to McDermott's former position (for one season)
On January 22, 2018, Wilks was hired as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. On December 31, 2018, the Cardinals fired Wilks.
On January 14, 2019, Wilks was hired by the Cleveland Browns to be their defensive coordinator under head coach Freddie Kitchens.[16] He was not retained for the 2020 season under new head coach Kevin Stefanski.
On January 21, 2021, Wilks was hired by the University of Missouri as their defensive coordinator under head coach Eliah Drinkwitz
On February 9, 2022, the Panthers announced the hiring of Wilks as Matt Rhule's new defensive pass game coordinator and secondary coach. On October 10, 2022, after Rhule was fired, Wilks was named the Panthers' interim head coach for the remainder of the season.
On February 9, 2023, ithe San Francisco 49ers hired Wilks as their defensive coordinator.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I will bump until it happens

Can happen in a consultant role. That's about it

Yeah, and I hope he recommends an up-and-comer in his mold.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Kyle starts playing lil Wayne at practice a Belichick goes and unplugs the speakers.

Belichick worked under parcels for years. He understands the definition of "do your job". He won't be the coach and he would understand that.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

The union of my two favorite coaches is inevitable.

I will bump until it happens

this would be the sickest duo of all time

Kyle starts playing lil Wayne at practice a Belichick goes and unplugs the speakers.

He'd murder the D.J. too.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Kyle's new scapegoat.

Facts

The Teflon Don of the NFL. Never his fault. His decisions are always right. He should be held accountable for our repeated failures in big games. Chokes consistently then blames everyone else. Fans got kyled and now the DC got kyled.

we don't sniff any of our success in the past 5 years without Shanahan. GTFO.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Belichick worked under parcels for years. He understands the definition of "do your job". He won't be the coach and he would understand that.

I know just having fun with the guy who didn't like Deebo and AJ Brown cause they were having to much fun during their visit. Amazing he drafted Gronk who fell asleep when he first met hoodie.
Watch the hoodie turn Fred Warner into the DPOY. I've always said Fred has untapped potential similar to what the hoodie did for Kyle Van Noy.
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by Fresno49er:
Gus Bradley, Mike Vrabel, BB, or Pete and ill call it a win and be excited for next season.

Watch it be Brandon Staley and the collective fan base lets out a loud sigh

Staley was obviously highly thought of as a DC with the Rams though right?

Yes.

Not a true 1-1 due to personnel, but Spags flamed out big time as a HC. It's why he's not really a concern to be poached from KC.
Watch the hoodie turn Fred Warner into the DPOY. I've always said Fred has untapped potential similar to what the hoodie did for Kyle Van Noy.

It would honestly make not having Dre hurt even more. Give Bill those two and holy chit

Good riddance
Pete Carroll.... (I'm only sort of kidding...like Draymond, hate him if he's on the other team, love him if he's yours)

It would honestly make not having Dre hurt even more. Give Bill those two and holy chit

If Kyle got bill to come here id cream my pants.
How could KS fire Wilks without firing himself?

Wilks didn't take the ball on the coin toss, fumble the punt, fumble in the redzone, or forget about Kittle. The offense and ST coordinators made mistakes all year too.

Not to mention, Wilks comes highly recommended by the McCaffrey's. He was CMC's Head Coach in Carolina. Dont want to piss of the McCaffrey's. Now Bosa is lobbying for Chase Young.

This is not Eddie D's 49ers, they just kept the helmet. There is no way Eddie D is talking his losing super bowl team to the club to hang out with Bill Walsh's favorite music artist. There is literally no consequence for losing with the York led 49ers.

They sold a bunch of merch so this was a win in their minds. Denice Debartolo York should give the team back to Eddie D.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I know just having fun with the guy who didn't like Deebo and AJ Brown cause they were having to much fun during their visit. Amazing he drafted Gronk who fell asleep when he first met hoodie.

I know you are. Lol I'm just saying I realistically don't think thay would be an issue and a lot of people actually do.

I genuinely think the coach who did that interview with gronk didn't tell BB. Gronk told the story and BB wasn't in the room. Lol otherwise, I doubt it happens.

i also think gronk had a lot to do with BB being like thay more recently because gronk was a lot to try and control, even though he was great. A lot of distractions at times, Al though I don't think it's a big deal.
Share 49ersWebzone