There are 203 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
But if Ward makes that int then what are we saying? That one is more on poor player execution than coaching. He called the right play and had the player in position. Agreed he should've been fired though. .

We'd be saying it was an awful gamble with a positive result. Like pushing all in with 2-7 and winning the hand.

It was dumb as hell.
Wilks is a good coordinator for a team that doesnt have above average talent. He gets everyone in positions and tries not to break and give up big scores. Not a bad option for a team that wants to build as high power offense and not make huge mistakes on defense.

Will be very interesting to see who we bring in. There's a few decent names out there, but I wonder if we over react and go for a more aggressive system.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
But if Ward makes that int then what are we saying? That one is more on poor player execution than coaching. He called the right play and had the player in position. Agreed he should've been fired though. .

We'd be saying it was an awful gamble with a positive result. Like pushing all in with 2-7 and winning the hand.

It was dumb as hell.
Ewww it's 7-2 not 2-7
We need an aggressive DC who can maximise the talent we have.

Wilks plays like he has no talent on the team and has a bend don't break philosophy but against the top QBs they pick his system apart.
Staley was good with LA when he only had to deal with 1 aspect of the team. Vrabel would be 1 and done and we'll be looking all over again where as Staley most likely never gets another HC gig
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/178666-49ers-defensive-coordinator-steve-wilks/

holy s**t!
Coached a hell of a game in the super bowl and held Mahomes in check while the offense sputtered and gets canned.

Such is life in the NFL.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Coached a hell of a game in the super bowl and held Mahomes in check while the offense sputtered and gets canned.

Such is life in the NFL.

It's more for the entire season.

It never felt like Steve and Kyle were on the same page (see the Vikings game, booth situation and the timeout in OT as perfect examples.
yep yep no surprise called this last week, just like with Lunch Trey being traded... follow me for more 9ers hidden tids before they happen LOL
Maybe We were better off hiring fangio and even losing kocurek if we had to..

Originally posted by scooterhd:
Wilks is a good coordinator for a team that doesnt have above average talent. He gets everyone in positions and tries not to break and give up big scores. Not a bad option for a team that wants to build as high power offense and not make huge mistakes on defense.

Will be very interesting to see who we bring in. There's a few decent names out there, but I wonder if we over react and go for a more aggressive system.

Yeah, I know what you are saying here. My read on Wilks is that he is a good defensive coordinator and the defense played well this year, but for some reason something always seemed to be missing. I can't pinpoint it, but maybe they as a unit just didn't have the same attacking mentality that, say, Kansas City. It's hard to blame him for the Super Bowl; if you keep Mahomes and co to under 20 points in regulation you are doing a good job. Having said that, KC changed things up in the 4th quarter and Wilks didn't adjust. I'd also say that Wilks didn't seem to have the right feel for when to blitz. Further, his blitzes always looked vanilla and easily spottable.
Originally posted by NCommand:
They don't do things like this unless they already have something locked in.

Is Kyle going to fire Chris Foerster and Brian Schneider too?

Wilks actually had the best day of all 3. LOL

This was bigger than a game. Defensive line had a massive fall off. Run D fell off. Other metrics were high, but it was an embarrassment of talent. He got the best play ever out of Ambry Thomas, Lenoir grew tremendously, and Ward was 2nd team all pro. But as a whole, the D was met given what we had.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Outside of being a horrific HC, he was a really good DC right?

He only had 1 year of experience. But I'd definitely interview him.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 4ML:

This just got me excited for next season. Bring in Vrabel resign Young to a prove it deal, sign Azeez to fill in for Dre, draft a run stopper and nickel corner and let's eat

Yea replace him with Vrabel. That'll be awesome!

Now, who is getting blamed for scoring 19 points in a Dome?

Andy Reid only scored 19 and 7 coming from a special teams gaf. Guess the Chiefs fans should be more upset about the walrus

Andy Reid didn't have 5 All-Pros on offense though.

Yeah he only had 4.

Mahommes is like having 3 automatic aces in every hand of poker. It almost doesn't even matter what else comes out.

Such is life in the NFL.

This move is about the entire season, not just what happened Sunday.

Such is life in the NFL.

Exactly.
Yea replace him with Vrabel. That'll be awesome!

Now, who is getting blamed for scoring 19 points in a Dome?

Chiefs defense is elite. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat. Niners offense did better than the other 3 teams did. Maybe the Bills did slightly better but that was mostly because of Allen's running.
Share 49ersWebzone