There are 281 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:
I'm more than ok with Wilks being fired. A HC has to have trust in the DC - so if that's not there - nothing else matters after that.

if you don't trust somebody that doesn't run your defense, then don't hire somebody that doesn't run your defense. This is all on Kyle none of this has to do with Wilks. Kyle hired somebody again did not run his defense. There's not one coach in the NFL that could walk in here today. That's never ran the wide nine and be the number one defense even if they were the number one defense before
f**kyeah.jpg
  • bud49
  • Veteran
No big deal to me Kyle wants someone else simple has that. Steve got paid and made good money for one year. I wish I could make that kind of money for one year then get let go.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
If the Chiefs had Wilks instead of Spags do they win the SB?

Same could be asked for the other side of the ball...
Fact is, to me, who underperformed in the SB was the offense....
How many points we got off KC turnovwrs ?
How many 3 & out in the second half ?

I am not saying "fire Kyle", absolutely not, I like what he built here, but if we ask for accountability, that should be for everyone.

Had we won the SB we wouldn't this conversation... Wilks he would not have been fired.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
The Best Young Mind in the NFL at best !!! getting rid of our DC to take all eyes off of him !!

GO SHANNYYY !!! WE ALMOST WON AGAIN !!! WOOOOOOOOO !!!

Raise those NFC Champions banners!!!!

Originally posted by Magic16:

I am not saying "fire Kyle", absolutely not, I like what he built here, but if we ask for accountability, that should be for everyone.

Had we won the SB we wouldn't this conversation... Wilks he would not have been fired.

Defense gave our offense the ball at the 40 yard line to start the second half up 7...

He'd be getting fired if we won. That was one of his best games of the season, along with the defense, but the review is of the complete body of work.

As far as the game itself it's always been about matchups. Of course our O struggled more than the D on the surface. The Chiefs have an elite defense and have a mediocre offense outside of a great QB and TE. It was the worst offense we faced in the playoffs. By far and away the best D.
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:

Defense gave our offense the ball at the 40 yard line to start the second half up 7...

the offense gave the defense the lead after their final possessions of regulation and OT. the defense failed to make the game winning stop in both instances.
Originally posted by boast:

the offense gave the defense the lead after their final possessions of regulation and OT. the defense failed to make the game winning stop in both instances.

Yup, doesn't change my point. I blame both sides personally.
Will KS ever be held accountable or will he just keep getting contract extensions?

Yup, doesn't change my point. I blame both sides personally.

You could point to so many things in a nail-biting heartbreaker like that. Sometimes there isn't anything to simply focus the blame on.

I don't think that game is why Wilks is out. The problems on D were present all throughout the year. Can't let an isolated good performance or a run against teams with backup QBs or s**t offenses that skew the stats confuse us.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Feb 14, 2024 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

What an asinine take.

I remember the Vikings/Bengals games before Wilks was moved to the sidelines. I remember calling cover zero at the end of the half against Minnesota and allowing a TD for no reason. I remember Cousins having the game of his career and the only reason they only scored 22 points was because of a missed field goal and three very fortunate red zone plays inside the 10. I remember Tony Romo during the Bengals game being able to predict literally every single play in embarrassingly hilarious fashion because our defense was so predictable pre-snap.

The narrative is so ridiculously defensive of Wilks right now. I'm not, because I actually remember what happened September-January, not just Sunday.

I remember Alex Smith saying there wasn't much to our defense. He picked the Chiefs because our D was too easy to figure out. We were talking about this when the Cardinals with Brisset (I think he was the QB) had 1 or 2 90 yard drives. There were things happening with the defense this year that never happened before. I was hopeful Wilks could get it together, but we never got there.
There are a lot of guys out there, but 49ers need someone who can learn with the quickness and be ready in what...over the offseason?

Good luck with that. I hope it could happen.

They could stay in house and promote Daniel Bullochs (been here since day one with Shanny)
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lists/49ers-defensive-coordinator-search-candidates-bill-belichick-brandon-staley/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

I wouldn't mind giving Rex Ryan a shot if he wants to come. He seems more open and easier to cope with than BB. I don't know about BB, he will definitely want to implement a lot of what he's familiar with and that might mess with chemistry and what not.

WTF does Vrabel know about Niners' scheme? I guess it's good that he's from the AFC and familiar with going against Queefs/Reid/Mahomes and other teams in AFC that 49ers may face in SB if we get back (Ravens)

49ers can't afford to try out an assistant or position coach from another team, there's no time to adopt projects, otherwise they could've kept Wilks for one more year to see if he can clean up mistakes and improve off one year of this scheme under his belt
Originally posted by boast:

Crocker leaving out a lot of details.

why keep a guy who couldn't connect with the team leaders Warner and Bosa? it was Warner who wanted Wilks move to the sideline.

This is so stupid. Wilks is a dogs**t DC, that's all there is to it.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
This is so stupid. Wilks is a dogs**t DC, that's all there is to it.

and it's Kyle's fault for hiring somebody that doesn't run his defense. Again, Bill Belichick wouldn't have walked in and all the sudden ran a new defense. He's never ran before and kept a number one defense the number one defense. Kyle is the idiot during aAnd it's Kyle's fault for hiring somebody that doesn't run his defense. Again, Bill Belichick wouldn't of walked in and all the sudden ran a new defense. He's never ran before and kept a number one defense the number one defense. Kyle is the idiot during a Super Bowl run that thought he can bring in a DC that does not run his defense. The only thing I ask is if you're gonna run wide nine which you need to if you want to keep the dline coach is higher someone that runs the wide 9/
Share 49ersWebzone