There are 300 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Will KS ever be held accountable or will he just keep getting contract extensions?

Even if Shanny got hair extensions, starting acting like he's Jamaican, bumping Reggae at practice and smoked blunts, he would still be here.

Because Jed is a BOY. A boy with a rug on his head. Shanny owns this entire organization. He owns this fanbase.

He OWNS fools' minds up inside here. He definitely owns space and LIVES forever rent free in 9moon's head, bruh
Originally posted by fan49:
and it's Kyle's fault for hiring somebody that doesn't run his defense. Again, Bill Belichick wouldn't have walked in and all the sudden ran a new defense. He's never ran before and kept a number one defense the number one defense. Kyle is the idiot during aAnd it's Kyle's fault for hiring somebody that doesn't run his defense. Again, Bill Belichick wouldn't of walked in and all the sudden ran a new defense. He's never ran before and kept a number one defense the number one defense. Kyle is the idiot during a Super Bowl run that thought he can bring in a DC that does not run his defense. The only thing I ask is if you're gonna run wide nine which you need to if you want to keep the dline coach is higher someone that runs the wide 9/

Eh, Ryans left and the options in who he could hire were not exactly great last year. There are far more viable candidates right now then a year ago.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I remember Alex Smith saying there wasn't much to our defense. He picked the Chiefs because our D was too easy to figure out. We were talking about this when the Cardinals with Brisset (I think he was the QB) had 1 or 2 90 yard drives. There were things happening with the defense this year that never happened before. I was hopeful Wilks could get it together, but we never got there.

It was the Passtronaut, Josh Dobbs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Will KS ever be held accountable or will he just keep getting contract extensions?

I'm sure he's being held accountable but will it lead to him losing his job, doubtful.
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:

Even if Shanny got hair extensions, starting acting like he's Jamaican, bumping Reggae at practice and smoked blunts, he would still be here.

Because Jed is a BOY. A boy with a rug on his head. Shanny owns this entire organization. He owns this fanbase.

He OWNS fools' minds up inside here. He definitely owns space and LIVES forever rent free in 9moon's head, bruh

The Shannahan dynasty is the 49ers...allegedly. LOL

Bill Walsh says hello.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Even in game 1 against Pitt. Great score result, but you had the comically bad end of half drive and Pickett was missing open guys all game long. It wasn't us being dominant as much as their guys failing to execute even basic offense.

Then the Rams game where the Rams dominate the ball. Keep the ball away from our offense and we only get separation in score when Kyren has an easy pass go right through his hands to one of our defenders.

Many more examples. Run D bad, Blitzes obvious with soft coverage behind it, can't get off the field on 3rd down. Easily the worst D of the good Kyle years
Let's face it, with all the talent on the D, the 49ers had no business struggling / losing to some of the offenses they faced, especially with the QBs who were running those offenses. f**k a PJ Walker, Sam Howell or even Wentz (Idc if everyone had backups in there), bruh!! They shouldn't have struggled at anytime with those bums!!!!
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Even in game 1 against Pitt. Great score result, but you had the comically bad end of half drive and Pickett was missing open guys all game long. It wasn't us being dominant as much as their guys failing to execute even basic offense.

Then the Rams game where the Rams dominate the ball. Keep the ball away from our offense and we only get separation in score when Kyren has an easy pass go right through his hands to one of our defenders.

Many more examples. Run D bad, Blitzes obvious with soft coverage behind it, can't get off the field on 3rd down. Easily the worst D of the good Kyle years

Agreed. I was surprised we made the SB tbh. We had the worst draft of all 32 teams and our defensive scheme was terrible all year.

I actually think we can improve a lot next year. But we have to hit on our draft picks…

I'm very concerned about the Hargrave signing. But maybe a new scheme helps him too.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

Yep and that's on Kyle now Stev. You can't expect someone to come in that doesn't run that defense and carryover the same exact success. It's not gonna happen. I don't care how good the coach is
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Let's face it, with all the talent on the D, the 49ers had no business struggling / losing to some of the offenses they faced, especially with the QBs who were running those offenses. f**k a PJ Walker, Sam Howell or even Wentz (Idc if everyone had backups in there), bruh!! They shouldn't have struggled at anytime with those bums!!!!

Yes they did. You might as well put in a high school coach because that's what you do to a defensive coach running a system he's never ran before. That was Kyle's mistake

As much as I wasn't happy with Wilks, especially before he came down from the booth, he's far from the reason as to why we lost the SB. Kyle (playcalling) and John (weak OL) shirking responsibility here.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Agreed. I was surprised we made the SB tbh. We had the worst draft of all 32 teams and our defensive scheme was terrible all year.

I actually think we can improve a lot next year. But we have to hit on our draft picks…

I'm very concerned about the Hargrave signing. But maybe a new scheme helps him too.

Who on our defense would you say had a good, great, or better than expected type of year?

Beyond Ward, Lenoir, and maybe Kinlaw in a reserve role, I think everybody else arguably underperformed. Beyond looking in depth at film that's usually a good indicator of bad coaching.
Originally posted by fan49:
Yep and that's on Kyle now Stev. You can't expect someone to come in that doesn't run that defense and carryover the same exact success. It's not gonna happen. I don't care how good the coach is

If you want to say it was a bad hire I'd agree. Let's not cry foul now that it's being corrected though.

Same thing with Trey Lance, just different position. Ok you made a mistake. Adapt as fast as possible and learn.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Mahommes is like having 3 automatic aces in every hand of poker. It almost doesn't even matter what else comes out.

KC offense anveraged under 22ppg all season. It wasn't anything special even with Mahomes.

Niners offense was averaging 29ppg.

Niners offense underperformed in the SB and to be fair - it was all that great in the first 2 rounds either. Kyle has to look at that side of the ball too and maybe bring someone in to run the offense with him.

Im aware and when KC needed the score, they scored. When the money was on the line, they won and honestly had an all time great playoff run.

To your point about the 49ers offense, I agree and if I were Kyle, I'd fire myself, hire an OC, and shift priorities and how we run our offense. Hell, we could even keep Kubiak if he hadn't signed anything.

He can keep designing plays and even scripting (we are all world on those first drives). But the in game stuff, pivoting quickly based off what defenses are doing, even having the game slow down so he doesn't have to always be thinking about the next time we have the ball, etc would help the team greatly.

Of course, if OL were a focus, this might all be a moot point. I really hope Deebo as a runner is scrapped. We need safer plays that are guaranteed to give us 2 to 6 yards (Juice as a passing option), Mason running, Mitchell (or a healthier RB running), getting Gray involved, etc. But the offense needs to evolve too. We will stay ahead of inferior players and defenses. But the elite ones are shutting us down. DC isn't the only needed change.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Who on our defense would you say had a good, great, or better than expected type of year?

Beyond Ward, Lenoir, and maybe Kinlaw in a reserve role, I think everybody else arguably underperformed. Beyond looking in depth at film that's usually a good indicator of bad coaching.

Ambry Thomas. I thought he was a cut candidate and he put together some decent starts. He isn't reliable yet, but it's a step up from 2022. Someone will sign him.to a 1 year deal after next season when it looked like he was headed out of the NFL. It's clear Wilks is good for DBs and he'll get a job coaching them easily.
Share 49ersWebzone