There are 313 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by fan49:
Yep and that's on Kyle now Stev. You can't expect someone to come in that doesn't run that defense and carryover the same exact success. It's not gonna happen. I don't care how good the coach is

If you want to say it was a bad hire I'd agree. Let's not cry foul now that it's being corrected though.

Same thing with Trey Lance, just different position. Ok you made a mistake. Adapt as fast as possible and learn.

Yes agree. Our defense was lacking this season compared to how it was under the previous two defense co-ordinators. It lacked the king hit punch. Maybe Salah will come back given the Jets have crashed.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Yep and that's on Kyle now Stev. You can't expect someone to come in that doesn't run that defense and carryover the same exact success. It's not gonna happen. I don't care how good the coach is

If you want to say it was a bad hire I'd agree. Let's not cry foul now that it's being corrected though.

Same thing with Trey Lance, just different position. Ok you made a mistake. Adapt as fast as possible and learn.

Yes agree. Our defense was lacking this season compared to how it was under the previous two defense co-ordinators. It lacked the king hit punch. Maybe Salah will come back given the Jets have crashed.

Obviously didn't work out the way Kyle hoped. Had poor options last year. Much better options still out there now.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

The point is it was a bad hire because it was gonna be a bad hire no matter what. That's why a lot of us think that Kyle, might not be the greatest coach even though he's a great play collar because thinking that in one year you're gonna turn a defensive coordinator that's never ran your scheme into a great play in a schemes never ran is ridiculous. And to actually think that Kyle's offense did better than the defense in the Super Bowl or was the reason that we lost is a joke,
The point is it was a bad hire because it was gonna be a bad hire no matter what. That's why a lot of us think that Kyle, might not be the greatest coach even though he's a great play collar because thinking that in one year you're gonna turn a defensive coordinator that's never ran your scheme into a great play in a schemes never ran is ridiculous. And to actually think that Kyle's offense did better than the defense in the Super Bowl or was the reason that we lost is a joke,

But you're seemingly not accounting for the fact that he has continually made great hires. Too good as they're gone as HC's now.

He hired Saleh and DeMeco as DC's and they were fantastic. He hired Wilks and it wasn't a good marriage. We're getting out after a year. No stubborn motivation to hang on and be right. That's a good quality in management IMO.
I think it was the correct move to fire him but I'll also admit the defense was not the real we lost the Super Bowl.

They imo played a better game than the offense and special teams.
why is everyone reacting as if the firing is based on the last game? 1 game? was it not obvious it was about the season as a whole? was obvious to me.
Originally posted by Goatie:

the CB play was better, but the run defense fell off hard
Shanny wanted Steve Wilks out after the 3 game losing streak but John Lynch wanted to give Wilks another chance since he's responsible for the hiring him in the first place.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If Belichick is not an option, then I would love to have Vrabel. And for the record, I am actually a Staley fan as well. He was great on McVay's staff. And I like his all gas no breaks approach. You know he's going to let this D eat, and QBs will be attacked over and over…
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I think it was the correct move to fire him but I'll also admit the defense was not the real we lost the Super Bowl.

They imo played a better game than the offense and special teams.

This move wasn't just about the Super Bowl. The pervious two playoff games were pretty awful. He then played a part in Mahomes rolling down the field multiple times to win it.

a lot of blame to go around on both sides. Just sounded like they weren't on the same page. Feel for Wilks, kyle didn't wait to make a move which is good too

Originally posted by DrEll:
If Belichick is not an option, then I would love to have Vrabel. And for the record, I am actually a Staley fan as well. He was great on McVay's staff. And I like his all gas no breaks approach. You know he's going to let this D eat, and QBs will be attacked over and over…

Staley is a divider of men, not a leader.

https://boltbeat.com/posts/embarrassing-brandon-staley-stories-emerge-chargers-departure
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cris_sonic:
Shanny wanted Steve Wilks out after the 3 game losing streak but John Lynch wanted to give Wilks another chance since he's responsible for the hiring him in the first place.

Where did you see this??
I liked the hire initially. I thought it was good to have an experienced veteran coach alongside Kyle. Obviously, I was wrong about it. Seems like a great man but a tough situation for any coach and he wasn't right for it. I wish him the best of luck.

i fully expect we hire someone internally, and if not, I really hope we can pull something crazy like BB and make a splash.
this is a great read by our very own JonneyDel.

highly recommend giving it a read

• thl408
Wilks never got to run his defense. All his previous defenses have been at the top of the league in blitz frequency. He comes here and it's bottom third in blitz frequency. Would it have mattered? Who knows, but they basically hired him and asked him to change his philosophy.
Share 49ersWebzone