There are 172 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by DrEll:
If Belichick is not an option, then I would love to have Vrabel. And for the record, I am actually a Staley fan as well. He was great on McVay's staff. And I like his all gas no breaks approach. You know he's going to let this D eat, and QBs will be attacked over and over…

Staley is a divider of men, not a leader.

https://boltbeat.com/posts/embarrassing-brandon-staley-stories-emerge-chargers-departure

This is the apprehension I have with Staley .
Originally posted by thl408:
Wilks never got to run his defense. All his previous defenses have been at the top of the league in blitz frequency. He comes here and it's bottom third in blitz frequency. Would it have mattered? Who knows, but they basically hired him and asked him to change his philosophy.

MIke Shanahan successfully evolved our offense under the same conditions in 1992.
The game-killing drive was Mahomes in OT with the 2 first down huge runs for a total of 25 yards. Niners defense is nowhere to be found. Wilks loose coverage once again fails against the Chiefs and Mahomes. Niners D was tired and got outplayed. 75 yards by Mahomes on that OT drive unimpeded for a TD. Point blank.
Not to take an extra dump on Wilks, but am I the only one who thinks that the defense playing well in the Super Bowl had nothing to do with him?

Defense clearly looked juiced up on Super Bowl adrenaline and simply out-talented KC for the first three quarters. I don't believe they out-schemed KC at all—when it came time to out-scheme them in the 4th quarter and OT, we folded.

I keep hearing fans online who didn't watch any of our games until the Super Bowl go "but the defense was so good in the Super Bowl! Why is Kyle scape-goating Wilks??" when in reality I don't think Wilks had anything to do with the defense initially playing well…
  • Cosmo
i've had to avoid everything 49ers and NFL related since the Super Bowl, so I'm just now seeing this. I have to admit I am absolutely surprised. While the defense was complete trash, the first two games, I thought they played excellent in the Super Bowl. At least for the first 3/4. there is, however, a TON invested on that side of the ball. it makes me wonder whether this was Kyle's decision, or Jed's.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Not to take an extra dump on Wilks, but am I the only one who thinks that the defense playing well in the Super Bowl had nothing to do with him?

Defense clearly looked juiced up on Super Bowl adrenaline and simply out-talented KC for the first three quarters. I don't believe they out-schemed KC at all—when it came time to out-scheme them in the 4th quarter and OT, we folded.

I keep hearing fans online who didn't watch any of our games until the Super Bowl go "but the defense was so good in the Super Bowl! Why is Kyle scape-goating Wilks??" when in reality I don't think Wilks had anything to do with the defense initially playing well…

When the team plays bad, its the coaches. When they play good, its the players. Or something like that.
Originally posted by Cosmo:
i've had to avoid everything 49ers and NFL related since the Super Bowl, so I'm just now seeing this. I have to admit I am absolutely surprised. While the defense was complete trash, the first two games, I thought they played excellent in the Super Bowl. At least for the first 3/4. there is, however, a TON invested on that side of the ball. it makes me wonder whether this was Kyle's decision, or Jed's.

We would know either immediately or very shortly after if a decision was made above Kyle's head. We have a career history to understand he wouldn't accept it without making waves.

Look at the year in total in just the most basic evidence. The public reprimand of Wilks… the move to the sideline… the overriding timeout and screaming into the headset.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

We would know either immediately or very shortly after if a decision was made above Kyle's head. We have a career history to understand he wouldn't accept it without making waves.

Look at the year in total in just the most basic evidence. The public reprimand of Wilks… the move to the sideline… the overriding timeout and screaming into the headset.

Yeah, I agree based on the season as a whole. Obviously still so stung on this loss, but the defense was playing out of their minds to start the game. My concern is that new coordinators are hard to get used to. Switching O coordinators is never helpful to a QB. Just don't know what to think.
Yeah, I agree based on the season as a whole. Obviously still so stung on this loss, but the defense was playing out of their minds to start the game. My concern is that new coordinators are hard to get used to. Switching O coordinators is never helpful to a QB. Just don't know what to think.

Well let's see who they get first. Lateral movements and even downgrades are possible… but there was nothing about this season that makes me think twice about looking to improve. Nothing in the performance that makes me feel like we'd be risking anything substantial.
Will not be missed. Bad play calls and questionable lineups. Sure there was some good but not enough to overcome the bad. Big regression from last year for a massively paid D line.

You can click the the tables to see league ranks for each stat.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Feb 14, 2024 at 6:50 PM ]
I don't like Kyle hiring a guy that has his own defense then telling him to run Demecos. I know me personally I would run my defense or you can kick rocks
  • Cosmo
So, does this mean the team is blaming the loss on Wilks? If they do, does that mean they see no need to upgrade the O line or secondary?
These CLOWNS on Twitter think it's unfair and it's because of 1 game. The Super Bowl.

Did they watch all year long? Do they understand how the scheme fit is bad? Do they see how the front and and back end don't work in sync together?

Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
why is everyone reacting as if the firing is based on the last game? 1 game? was it not obvious it was about the season as a whole? was obvious to me.

It was his performance during the whole season not just the Super Bowl. The defense was worse, especially the run defense. The soft zone was driving me crazy!
Share 49ersWebzone