There are 196 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
These CLOWNS on Twitter think it's unfair and it's because of 1 game. The Super Bowl.

Did they watch all year long? Do they understand how the scheme fit is bad? Do they see how the front and and back end don't work in sync together?

Also, you can argue that the Packer and Lion offenses were more dynamic than the Chiefs. They definitely had better personnel save for the QB. Speaking of which did he not have a plan to counter his scrambling?
I thought the Chiefs offence was the worst we faced in the play offs other than Mahomes running. And a crossing pattern to Kelce once Greenlaw was out.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erKing:
These CLOWNS on Twitter think it's unfair and it's because of 1 game. The Super Bowl.

Did they watch all year long? Do they understand how the scheme fit is bad? Do they see how the front and and back end don't work in sync together?

Also, you can argue that the Packer and Lion offenses were more dynamic than the Chiefs. They definitely had better personnel save for the QB. Speaking of which did he not have a plan to counter his scrambling?

Not according to Bosa we didn't. He said something along the lines that the players were not prepared for the read option. You'd think that would be one of the first things the defense would go over when preparing for Mahomes.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:

Not according to Bosa we didn't. He said something along the lines that the players were not prepared for the read option. You'd think that would be one of the first things the defense would go over when preparing for Mahomes.

Why? KC doesn't use the read option much. They saved it for the perfect time.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:

Don't ask me. Ask our stud dlineman who didn't seem too happy about it…
Originally posted by pd24:

Don't ask me. Ask our stud dlineman who didn't seem too happy about it…

Bosa blaming someone else because he gets sucked in by the read option every single time. No discipline and for a DE he is slower than s**t.
Some X feedback..

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steve-wilks-firing-san-francisco-230713400.html
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I would've been good either way. He's gone now, so I'm hoping Vrabel gets the job. If not I'll take someone from the Ravens defense.
It would surmise Wilks agreed to run the same defense that we had because of the players we had specifically for that scheme. First it was the booth vs sideline... then our run defense gets smashed.... then soft zone with 4 man rush ... then in SB the head coach called the timeout because he is running the same crap. I dont know how many times i was screaming at my TV this season for us to be more aggressive. That was a hallmark the last few years. Bet players were going to their position coaches and possibly Kyle as well. The Niners arent airing dirty laundry since Shanlynch so we wont get the full 411. But that defense underperformed for the talent.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
why is everyone reacting as if the firing is based on the last game? 1 game? was it not obvious it was about the season as a whole? was obvious to me.

That doesn't change that he was hired by Kyle. Kyle hired a guy that never ran this defense

Originally posted by 9erson3:
Some X feedback..

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steve-wilks-firing-san-francisco-230713400.html

Cute, you can tell who has been watching this team all season and who has not. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If Belichick is not an option, then I would love to have Vrabel. And for the record, I am actually a Staley fan as well. He was great on McVay's staff. And I like his all gas no breaks approach. You know he's going to let this D eat, and QBs will be attacked over and over…

Both do not run our defense. Bill Belichick runs a 34 if I am correct and we do not have the right players for that system.
Good riddance. Wilks did less with more talent than Demeco. Been calling for him to get fired most of the season--he earned his walking papers. So many questionable decisions--remember zero blitz before halftime vs. the Vikings? Offenses figured out his defensive schemes easily and the pass rush was weak, so by midway through the season, the defense was getting torched regularly, especially on the ground. The postseason showed that in spades. He almost never came into a game prepared for what the other team was going to do even when it was pretty obvious.

Yes, it was a bad hire too, since Wilks essentially had been fired from his previous four jobs after one season. Not a great sign. But credit to Shanahan for correcting a mistake. He can't afford to make another bad hire. Vrabel would great. Please not Brandon Staley.
Originally posted by fan49:
Both do not run our defense. Bill Belichick runs a 34 if I am correct and we do not have the right players for that system.

Bill Belichick runs whatever he needs to run, and he runs them all at the highest level. The dude has been constantly innovating his scheme to counter the league's offense trends for the last 40 years. He's had years where he ran 2-gapping front; 1-gapping front; hybrid front; heavy zone coverage; heavy man coverage. He's never had a static scheme. The dude can literally coach any scheme; any front; any position--all at the highest level. He adapts his scheme to his player's strengths and to attack his opponent's weaknesses. He's the GOAT for a reason.

Fans don't fully grasp the magnitude of the possibility of Belichick coming in to coach this loaded defense. Now, if only Shanny can pull it off...
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 14, 2024 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If Belichick is not an option, then I would love to have Vrabel. And for the record, I am actually a Staley fan as well. He was great on McVay's staff. And I like his all gas no breaks approach. You know he's going to let this D eat, and QBs will be attacked over and over…

No not this roster. It's definitely a 4 3. The LBs can hold the gaps when all healthy. I think Belichick is not that answer. That would be Vrabel which would be a great hire. He would be gone the following year but we're used to it. I do like going after one of the high level Ravens coaches their D was amazing.
Share 49ersWebzone