There are 175 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • JEP83
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
NOT that I like Wilks.. but once more... Shanny found another guy to be his scape goat..

Oh moon is like you don't even watch the games but i bet you were one of those peeps going out and buying all the gear the week before the Superbowl.

This is not a scapegoat issue. Everyone has been asking for this for atleast half the year. I know i know you probably only watched the niners in the superbowl but we have had our worst defense in three years with more talented players.

n when you see Demeco and Saleh do more with less you gotta ask yourself.

also for anyone backing Wilks bc he didn't get to do his defense. Who cares. Shanny didn't want to change what has been working. Did him being in that scheme real affect his ability to call a blitz? Or be aggressive in any way. This soft zone I'm surprised we even got to the Superbowl because i think i could have picked apart that zone.
Originally posted by JEP83:
Originally posted by 9moon:
NOT that I like Wilks.. but once more... Shanny found another guy to be his scape goat..

Oh moon is like you don't even watch the games but i bet you were one of those peeps going out and buying all the gear the week before the Superbowl.

This is not a scapegoat issue. Everyone has been asking for this for atleast half the year. I know i know you probably only watched the niners in the superbowl but we have had our worst defense in three years with more talented players.

n when you see Demeco and Saleh do more with less you gotta ask yourself.

also for anyone backing Wilks bc he didn't get to do his defense. Who cares. Shanny didn't want to change what has been working. Did him being in that scheme real affect his ability to call a blitz? Or be aggressive in any way. This soft zone I'm surprised we even got to the Superbowl because i think i could have picked apart that zone.

We knew he sucked and barely got better when he went down onto the field.

But this strikes me as hanging Rasputin off a bridge
You can't blame him for Greenlaw getting hurt, or CMC for putting the ball on the ground. Nor can you blame him for the offense not scoring after his D generated TOs.

BUT we can blame him for giving up the game losing TD to a stupid a** motion KC used in the last superbowl against PHI. THAT was on tape. I would have rather given up a 1 in 1 back should fade/great Mahomes play.

Not to a busted coverage over a simple motion, and not adjusting in the 4th. Andy will adjust—so you have to counter and he didn't. Bad fit anyway.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
You can't blame him for Greenlaw getting hurt, or CMC for putting the ball on the ground. Nor can you blame him for the offense not scoring after his D generated TOs.

BUT we can blame him for giving up the game losing TD to a stupid a** motion KC used in the last superbowl against PHI. THAT was on tape. I would have rather given up a 1 in 1 back should fade/great Mahomes play.

Not to a busted coverage over a simple motion, and not adjusting in the 4th. Andy will adjust—so you have to counter and he didn't. Bad fit anyway.

I don't blame him for the Super Bowl at all. It was the rest of the season where our defensive talent had to elevate his defensive play calls.

When I see that two years in a row and it just puts into perspective the futility that Greg Roman really was. Even with the great Mahomes, KC dials up an easy pitch and catch.
1. Kyle deserves a lot of the blame for the hire. He hired a guy who was established in the league and asked him to work with assistants and play a scheme that he was not familiar with. If the new D-Coordinator's style does not mesh with what Kris Kocurek wants to do, then Kocurek needs to find new employment - since he does not want to be the coordinator himself.

2. This is not a scapegoat situation. To be blunt, anyone that knows defensive football knows that his scheme was a problem dating back to week 2 against LA. When you play a soft zone, you allow good QB's to get the ball out quick and neutralize a good pass rush. He showed himself to be incompetent with the zero blitz call at the end of the half against Minnesota in week 7. He was on the hot seat at that point.

3. He sealed his fate with the poor, unprepared showings against GB and DET. Effort is an indictment of how your players feel about you. The comments from Bosa and the lack of any verbal support from a guy like Fred says a lot.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
1. Kyle deserves a lot of the blame for the hire. He hired a guy who was established in the league and asked him to work with assistants and play a scheme that he was not familiar with. If the new D-Coordinator's style does not mesh with what Kris Kocurek wants to do, then Kocurek needs to find new employment - since he does not want to be the coordinator himself.

2. This is not a scapegoat situation. To be blunt, anyone that knows defensive football knows that his scheme was a problem dating back to week 2 against LA. When you play a soft zone, you allow good QB's to get the ball out quick and neutralize a good pass rush. He showed himself to be incompetent with the zero blitz call at the end of the half against Minnesota in week 7. He was on the hot seat at that point.

3. He sealed his fate with the poor, unprepared showings against GB and DET. Effort is an indictment of how your players feel about you. The comments from Bosa and the lack of any verbal support from a guy like Fred says a lot.

I with this 100%
Honestly in hindsight he should have been canned mid-season, probably after the Vikes game. It was clear for a long time that something just wasn't working. Elevating an internal coach to interim could have provided continuity and while we might have had hiccups we would have been in a better place by the postseason.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

nice post. You nailed it.

I think we were all in a daze at that point. You got to be kidding me? Did they really run that same play with the game winning td to Hardman?? Me, a fan, was thinking about that play (KC used it twice against the Eagles) in the two weeks leading up to the SB at least 3-4 times. I know you can run a zillion plays off a single formation and Mahomies will have probably gone to his 2nd read - but sheesh talk about a potential pick-six or int opportunity.

Originally posted by mcwoot:
Honestly in hindsight he should have been canned mid-season, probably after the Vikes game. It was clear for a long time that something just wasn't working. Elevating an internal coach to interim could have provided continuity and while we might have had hiccups we would have been in a better place by the postseason.

Agreed. The writing was really on the wall early on.
I don't think this firing was about performance as much as it was about philosophy. Kyle decided he wants a different approach and may have had some players in his ear.
WOW 😮
I was a big believer in Wilks, I was wrong, his defense was soft, yes the DBs played much better, but the front 7 fell off, hope we can find some hybrid guy who knows like LBs & DBs, let Kocurek do his thing with the DL.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I was a big believer in Wilks, I was wrong, his defense was soft, yes the DBs played much better, but the front 7 fell off, hope we can find some hybrid guy who knows like LBs & DBs, let Kocurek do his thing with the DL.

Yeah me too, but it is what it is. Everyone makes mistakes. But it shows a defense is same as offense. Everything is cohesive and I want a coach who is creative and has balls.
Share 49ersWebzone