There are 199 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JEP83:
Originally posted by 9moon:
NOT that I like Wilks.. but once more... Shanny found another guy to be his scape goat..

Oh moon is like you don't even watch the games but i bet you were one of those peeps going out and buying all the gear the week before the Superbowl.

This is not a scapegoat issue. Everyone has been asking for this for atleast half the year. I know i know you probably only watched the niners in the superbowl but we have had our worst defense in three years with more talented players.

n when you see Demeco and Saleh do more with less you gotta ask yourself.

also for anyone backing Wilks bc he didn't get to do his defense. Who cares. Shanny didn't want to change what has been working. Did him being in that scheme real affect his ability to call a blitz? Or be aggressive in any way. This soft zone I'm surprised we even got to the Superbowl because i think i could have picked apart that zone.

what DC did we interview last year besides wilks?
Steve Wilks had a great Superbowl plan and the defense played well for the most part. He won't have a hard time finding a new gig. Not sure why he took the brunt of it but oh well.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Steve Wilks had a great Superbowl plan and the defense played well for the most part. He won't have a hard time finding a new gig. Not sure why he took the brunt of it but oh well.

It sounds like Kyle Shanahan had a great Superbowl plan for the defense. I don't know who this is, but it wouldn't surprise me at all

Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

It sounds like Kyle Shanahan had a great Superbowl plan for the defense. I don't know who this is, but it wouldn't surprise me at all

lol if this is true
Originally posted by da209:
Originally posted by JEP83:
Originally posted by 9moon:
NOT that I like Wilks.. but once more... Shanny found another guy to be his scape goat..

Oh moon is like you don't even watch the games but i bet you were one of those peeps going out and buying all the gear the week before the Superbowl.

This is not a scapegoat issue. Everyone has been asking for this for atleast half the year. I know i know you probably only watched the niners in the superbowl but we have had our worst defense in three years with more talented players.

n when you see Demeco and Saleh do more with less you gotta ask yourself.

also for anyone backing Wilks bc he didn't get to do his defense. Who cares. Shanny didn't want to change what has been working. Did him being in that scheme real affect his ability to call a blitz? Or be aggressive in any way. This soft zone I'm surprised we even got to the Superbowl because i think i could have picked apart that zone.

Chris Harris of the Titans. He was with the Commanders last year.
Originally posted by da209:

Chris Harris was the other finalist but not a DC. He's the current passing game coordinator and DB coach for Tennessee.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
lol if this is true

Would break Faithfuls heart.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
lol if this is true

Would break Faithfuls heart.

Kyle just needs something to take credit for,

can't take credit for the O,
can't take credit for being prepared
can't take credit for the 'analytics' we want the ball 3rd, and we're gonna score
so he scapegoats, and takes credit for what went well on the other side

this is our leader
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

can't take credit for the 'analytics' we want the ball 3rd, and we're gonna score

this is our leader

Or you know the defense was so awful in the playoffs that he had to step in to try and mitigate his mistake hire.
This explains to me why our players on defense weren't playing with fire and confidence on defense the majority of the year. didn't have that dog or killer instinct that we normally see. Probably a lot of door slamming and second guessing of Wilks from KS on down to the players.

Originally posted by lamontb:
This explains to me why our players on defense weren't playing with fire and confidence on defense the majority of the year. didn't have that dog or killer instinct that we normally see. Probably a lot of door slamming and second guessing of Wilks from KS on down to the players.

Exactly
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

this is our leader

Dude, you spent all season long talking up Wilks when in the end its clear that he is what he's always been, a DB coach that has zero business calling defense in the NFL, or even college considering how much he struggled at Missouri as well. . He's just a much more hyped up Ed Donatell.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Exactly

Really? Hard to believe one man had that much negative mind control over a group and have them in the bowl at the same time
Just gotta chalk Wilks up as a bad hire. Ryan Nielsen would've been a good guy to check in on but I see the Jaqs scooped him up.
NGL, I'd totally be down for Pete Carrol as number 1 option. He's old, but because of it, I think he's probably not as likely to be a HC candidate again so there's a likelihood of continuity. He's got a great coordinator's personality can be up in booth or in the field. Tons of experience and success. Had built one of the greatest defenses of our generation.

I don't really want Vrabel or BB. Our defense needs continuity, not a fifth system in 5 years when they jump for a HC gig, taking staff with them.

Riverboat Ron would be a solid hire as I think he's probably not a HC candidate any longer and could settle in.

If it's a less experience candidate, I trust Shanahan to find the right guy. He got it wrong with Wilkes, but got it right with Saleh and DeMeco, so he has a good track record of finding lesser known guys.
Share 49ersWebzone