There are 182 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
Just gotta chalk Wilks up as a bad hire. Ryan Nielsen would've been a good guy to check in on but I see the Jaqs scooped him up.

Nielsen was the guy that I was really hoping for if Wilks was fired but he got snagged too early, heck of a hire for them.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Kyle just needs something to take credit for,

can't take credit for the O,
can't take credit for being prepared
can't take credit for the 'analytics' we want the ball 3rd, and we're gonna score
so he scapegoats, and takes credit for what went well on the other side

this is our leader

Dude, you spent all season long talking up Wilks when in the end its clear that he is what he's always been, a DB coach that has zero business calling defense in the NFL, or even college considering how much he struggled at Missouri as well. . He's just a much more hyped up Ed Donatell.

Wilks ain't the issue, never was. The D kept us in the SB. The O sucked all playoffs. Kyle had maybe 2 good quarters on O out of 13. He had questionable moves to kick field goals late, he had two pass plays late that failed horribly with protection, he made a mess of OT and wasn't prepared for OT. Our own leaders say they had no idea what was going on, or what the rules are.

Fans predictably, focus their ire on the wrong target. Kinda glad Wilks is gone, so fans can no longer download all their frustrations onto him. Will need another target folks, another scapegoat..
Wilks ain't the issue, never was. The D kept us in the SB. The O sucked all playoffs. Kyle had maybe 2 good quarters on O out of 13. He had questionable moves to kick field goals late, he had two pass plays late that failed horribly with protection, he made a mess of OT and wasn't prepared for OT. Our own leaders say they had no idea what was going on, or what the rules are.

Fans predictably, focus their ire on the wrong target. Kinda glad Wilks is gone, so fans can no longer download all their frustrations onto him. Will need another target folks, another scapegoat..

Wilks was a season long issue and the fans aren't the people who fired him.
Wilks ain't the issue, never was.

Wilks absolutely was an issue. Not the only one, but he's certainly far less capable than the two playcallers that came before him. 2016 was the last time that I saw the defense look this helpless to get off the field on third downs, this helpless to stop the run. They were cooked by just about every good quarterback they faced.

I wish him well in his future endeavors and imagine that he'll do great as a defensive pass game coordinator someplace.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

But everything is Kyle's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you had people outside the building pointing out how basic and predictable the defensive scheming was, that's never a good sign.

Anyone who is using the term "scapegoat" is being an emotional child. Our entire fanbase was complaining about Wilks all season long. Our players didnt have stellar things to say about him all season long (they didnt call him out, but they never backed him). It was never a fit. We tried to make it work and it didnt.

Wilks wasnt fired because we lost the Superbowl.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Steve Wilks had a great Superbowl plan and the defense played well for the most part. He won't have a hard time finding a new gig. Not sure why he took the brunt of it but oh well.

Oh I don't know, maybe because we were 22nd in the league against the run? Maybe because that soft zone made us look like a bunch of statues out on the field? Questionable play calling (zero blitz with 10 seconds left, anyone?)? Having to be TOLD to come down to the field like a child? Wasting a time out in the Super Bowl because the HC has to over rule his call?

Yes, the Super Bowl was probably the best this defense has looked all year - THAT'S the problem! With the talent on this team, they should have looked like that EVERY week.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Anyone who is using the term "scapegoat" is being an emotional child. Our entire fanbase was complaining about Wilks all season long. Our players didnt have stellar things to say about him all season long (they didnt call him out, but they never backed him). It was never a fit. We tried to make it work and it didnt.

Social media is using the scapegoat excuse for engagement right now. Acho is saying Wilks was being 'undermined' by Shanny lol.

Even worse, some content creators are pulling the racial card as a reason for the firing, which makes absolutely no sense.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Social media is using the scapegoat excuse for engagement right now. Acho is saying Wilks was being 'undermined' by Shanny lol.

Even worse, some content creators are pulling the racial card as a reason for the firing, which makes absolutely no sense.

That's a pretty common theme for these guys when they don't understand the basis for the moves. Happened frequently in the QB debate last offseason. Just junking up the conversation with nonsense.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

He was undermined by Shanny, in a sense. I don't think he ran his D here from day 1. Let me know if you feel different.

They told him to run our D. We were the #1 D, so naturally we want that same D. But it's kinda stupid if you ask me. Let someone with many years experience bring their reason, their mind, their expertise. Don't micromanage. If we wanted someone to run our stuff and not their own scheme, we should have hired from within, to begin with. We should have groomed someone behind Ryans, to be next man up.
He was undermined by Shanny, in a sense. I don't think he ran his D here from day 1. Let me know if you feel different.

They told him to run our D. We were the #1 D, so naturally we want that same D. But it's kinda stupid if you ask me. Let someone with many years experience bring their reason, their mind, their expertise. Don't micromanage. If we wanted someone to run our stuff and not their own scheme, we should have hired from within, to begin with. We should have groomed someone behind Ryans, to be next man up.

Undermined is the wrong word. He took the job voluntarily with these conditions. Employment is a two way street. Reasoning that he couldn't do the job as well as hoped because he couldn't do things his way is pointless when he was hired under conditions that he would have to run what we were comfortable with. Obviously the concept wasn't a problem for him.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Feb 15, 2024 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

By definition it fits. He paid for the performance with his job while most of us wonder why Kyle continues to make it difficult for his 2nd year qb on offense. I was complaining about him as well but there was some bright spots.

I guess not enough tho

Undermined is the wrong word. He took the job voluntarily with these conditions. Employment is a two way street. Reasoning that he couldn't do the job as well as hoped because he couldn't do things his way is pointless when he was hired under conditions that he wouldn't.

If we brought back Wilks as our DC, it would be the first time in his career that he kept a DC job in the NFL. He's always one and done. That speaks volumes IMO.
It should be obvious by how quickly Kyle made thus move that he had his mind made up long before the SB. Even during the post game interview. it was clear when he was asked about any possible coaching changes that he was leaving the door open. My guess is that some players may have talked to him during the season and convinced hi that they could be better with a different scheme. He didn't want to make a change in the middle of a season when they were in the hunt but he was quick to act as soon as the season ended. Wilks may have even known that he wasn't going to be retained.
Share 49ersWebzone