There are 177 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Anyone who is using the term "scapegoat" is being an emotional child. Our entire fanbase was complaining about Wilks all season long. Our players didnt have stellar things to say about him all season long (they didnt call him out, but they never backed him). It was never a fit. We tried to make it work and it didnt.

Wilks wasnt fired because we lost the Superbowl.

Social media is using the scapegoat excuse for engagement right now. Acho is saying Wilks was being 'undermined' by Shanny lol.

Even worse, some content creators are pulling the racial card as a reason for the firing, which makes absolutely no sense.
It's the world we live in.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He was undermined by Shanny, in a sense. I don't think he ran his D here from day 1. Let me know if you feel different.

They told him to run our D. We were the #1 D, so naturally we want that same D. But it's kinda stupid if you ask me. Let someone with many years experience bring their reason, their mind, their expertise. Don't micromanage. If we wanted someone to run our stuff and not their own scheme, we should have hired from within, to begin with. We should have groomed someone behind Ryans, to be next man up.

Undermined is the wrong word. He took the job voluntarily with these conditions. Employment is a two way street. Reasoning that he couldn't do the job as well as hoped because he couldn't do things his way is pointless when he was hired under conditions that he would have to run what we were comfortable with. Obviously the concept wasn't a problem for him.
Exactly he knew what was required from the get go.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He was undermined by Shanny, in a sense. I don't think he ran his D here from day 1. Let me know if you feel different.

They told him to run our D. We were the #1 D, so naturally we want that same D. But it's kinda stupid if you ask me. Let someone with many years experience bring their reason, their mind, their expertise. Don't micromanage. If we wanted someone to run our stuff and not their own scheme, we should have hired from within, to begin with. We should have groomed someone behind Ryans, to be next man up.

Undermined is the wrong word. He took the job voluntarily with these conditions. Employment is a two way street. Reasoning that he couldn't do the job as well as hoped because he couldn't do things his way is pointless when he was hired under conditions that he wouldn't.

If we brought back Wilks as our DC, it would be the first time in his career that he kept a DC job in the NFL. He's always one and done. That speaks volumes IMO.

In his defense, I think both time he became a head coach. With that said, I'm not against the move. The defensive performance over a 20 game season was enough.
He sucked. He lost his job. What's the rub?
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Feb 15, 2024 at 11:46 AM ]
Perfectly summed up.

Kyle probably had a big ass sign that said from First to 26th - Your Fired
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Anyone who is using the term "scapegoat" is being an emotional child. Our entire fanbase was complaining about Wilks all season long. Our players didnt have stellar things to say about him all season long (they didnt call him out, but they never backed him). It was never a fit. We tried to make it work and it didnt.

Social media is using the scapegoat excuse for engagement right now. Acho is saying Wilks was being 'undermined' by Shanny lol.

Even worse, some content creators are pulling the racial card as a reason for the firing, which makes absolutely no sense.
It's the world we live in.

Its a reality that this is a problem, but the people claiming it in this instance don't actually follow the 49ers.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Perfectly summed up.

I don't care what the yards given up and points given up stats are, 27th in 3rd down % means it's not a good defense. 3rd down is when OCs pull out their best plays, and when DCs pull out their best plays. 27th ranked means Wilks was being outcoached, and to make it worse, while having a very good defensive roster.
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't care what the yards given up and points given up stats are, 27th in 3rd down % means it's not a good defense. 3rd down is when OCs pull out their best plays, and when DCs pull out their best plays. 27th ranked means Wilks was being outcoached, and to make it worse, while having a very good defensive roster.

Exactly right. No undermining was going on. He's just not a good playcaller.

Was Kyle undermining him when he had one of the worst run defenses in the history of Missouri football?
What ever you believe... outside looking in, it's not a good look that the Coach who held the high powered Chiefs to 3pts in the first half is fired...

Yet when Special teams put the Chiefs in scoring position for the first time... and also blocked kick.... that Coach is kept around.

And of course the OC Coach who didn't take advantage of all those stops (Kyle's obviously not going to fire himself) isn't held accountable or called out...

So yeah it's a bad look... and I know that some don't give a f**k about "a bad look".. or are picky when they give a f**k about a "bad look"... the hypocrites of the Webzone and Local 9er media.... it is what it is.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
What ever you believe... outside looking in, it's not a good look that the Coach who held the high powered Chiefs to 3pts in the first half is fired...

Yet when Special teams put the Chiefs in scoring position for the first time... and also blocked kick.... that Coach is kept around.

And of course the OC Coach who didn't take advantage of all those stops (Kyle's obviously not going to fire himself) isn't held accountable or called out...

So yeah it's a bad look... and I know that some don't give a f**k about "a bad look".. or are picky when they give a f**k about a "bad look"... the hypocrites of the Webzone and Local 9er media.... it is what it is.

High powered Chiefs? The team that didn't score 20 points 9 times this season?

Good points I also wonder what would have happened if they win the game.

Cry more Wilks is fired deal with it
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Wilks was a season long issue and the fans aren't the people who fired him.

When you had people outside the building pointing out how basic and predictable the defensive scheming was, that's never a good sign.

yeah, it was too vanilla. Shanahan didn't like it. hence that T.O. he took in the game

yep. well said. it's just f**king annoying reading social media and listening to ESPN radio, or other NFL news media outlets.
If the best argument for keeping Wilks is "it would be a bad look" then that in itself explains why he was fired.

It was obvious watching the games that there was a drop off in a lot of areas and when you come up against really good teams in the playoffs any weakness gets exposed.

It probably should have cost us before we got to the SB.
Share 49ersWebzone