There are 173 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Afrikan:
What ever you believe... outside looking in, it's not a good look that the Coach who held the high powered Chiefs to 3pts in the first half is fired...

Yet when Special teams put the Chiefs in scoring position for the first time... and also blocked kick.... that Coach is kept around.

And of course the OC Coach who didn't take advantage of all those stops (Kyle's obviously not going to fire himself) isn't held accountable or called out...

So yeah it's a bad look... and I know that some don't give a f**k about "a bad look".. or are picky when they give a f**k about a "bad look"... the hypocrites of the Webzone and Local 9er media.... it is what it is.

"Yet when Special teams put the Chiefs in scoring position for the first time... and also blocked kick.... that Coach is kept around."

So considering you have the inkling mindset that the firing is based on 1 game, that tells me you didn't watch or pay attention to the season as a whole.

Also, I don't give a f**k about "a bad look".
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
If the best argument for keeping Wilks is "it would be a bad look" then that in itself explains why he was fired.

It was obvious watching the games that there was a drop off in a lot of areas and when you come up against really good teams in the playoffs any weakness gets exposed.

It probably should have cost us before we got to the SB.

if anything was a "bad look", it was literally watching the defense themselves lol
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Perfectly summed up.

I don't care what the yards given up and points given up stats are, 27th in 3rd down % means it's not a good defense. 3rd down is when OCs pull out their best plays, and when DCs pull out their best plays. 27th ranked means Wilks was being outcoached, and to make it worse, while having a very good defensive roster.

Going from 1st to 26th in run defense doesn't look good either.
Chase summed it up perfectly.
Listening to JLs closing presser, he said AA and Hargrave both played compromised. The run D all the sudden makes a lil more sense what happened.

from google:
torn meniscus
San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Arik Armstead played through a knee injury during the postseason that he said on Tuesday will require offseason surgery.

on Hargrave:
General manger John Lynch later told reporters that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Javon Hargrave finished the season with a torn thumb ligament suffered in November.

ppl said it was tactics, or scheme, or Wilks not animated like his priors. In reality, those key interior guys weren't anchoring vs the run anymore quite as well. We now see why. Credit to those guys for battling
So he gets fired after 1 year for ???? Yet Shannahan and Lynch, the two directly responsible for the lance fiasco don't even have to answer for it. Wtf?
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
What ever you believe... outside looking in, it's not a good look that the Coach who held the high powered Chiefs to 3pts in the first half is fired...

Yet when Special teams put the Chiefs in scoring position for the first time... and also blocked kick.... that Coach is kept around.

And of course the OC Coach who didn't take advantage of all those stops (Kyle's obviously not going to fire himself) isn't held accountable or called out...

So yeah it's a bad look... and I know that some don't give a f**k about "a bad look".. or are picky when they give a f**k about a "bad look"... the hypocrites of the Webzone and Local 9er media.... it is what it is.

"Yet when Special teams put the Chiefs in scoring position for the first time... and also blocked kick.... that Coach is kept around."

So considering you have the inkling mindset that the firing is based on 1 game, that tells me you didn't watch or pay attention to the season as a whole.

Plus, Kyle and another coach came up with the game plan for the defense in the Superbowl, not Wilks. That's why it looked like our old defense.
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
So he gets fired after 1 year for ???? Yet Shannahan and Lynch, the two directly responsible for the lance fiasco don't even have to answer for it. Wtf?

Yes

He will run out of scapegoats eventually

And who tf would you replace Kyle with then genius?
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Plus, Kyle and another coach came up with the game plan for the defense in the Superbowl, not Wilks. That's why it looked like our old defense.

Where did this come from

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Listening to JLs closing presser, he said AA and Hargrave both played compromised. The run D all the sudden makes a lil more sense what happened.

from google:
torn meniscus
San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Arik Armstead played through a knee injury during the postseason that he said on Tuesday will require offseason surgery.

on Hargrave:
General manger John Lynch later told reporters that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Javon Hargrave finished the season with a torn thumb ligament suffered in November.

ppl said it was tactics, or scheme, or Wilks not animated like his priors. In reality, those key interior guys weren't anchoring vs the run anymore quite as well. We now see why. Credit to those guys for battling
You might have a point if not for the fact that Wilks has a track record of terrible run defenses.
Anybody trying to blame it all on Wilks scheme and not giving the players there fair share of blame are going to be the same guys wondering why the new DC will have some issues if they bring back the same personnel. AA and Hargrave are both on the other side of 30. They will probably have lingering issues every year. Every team has it.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Anybody trying to blame it all on Wilks scheme and not giving the players there fair share of blame are going to be the same guys wondering why the new DC will have some issues if they bring back the same personnel. AA and Hargrave are both on the other side of 30. They will probably have lingering issues every year. Every team has it.

Guess we will see
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

from google:
torn meniscus

on Hargrave:

To be fair they were going up against a backup LG who was playing with a torn UCL

Packers D coordinator did great against our offense and got sacked.

Totally agree on Kyle not being held accountable. I wish someone on the staff or even a respected player could say something. I stated I think he can still design plays and script the first 15, but outside of that, let someone else do the in-game playcalling.
Share 49ersWebzone