There are 309 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I never want to see the Wilks soft zone coverage ever again!
The defense was going to have a regression even with Ryans because it was the top defense last year and they lost Omenihu, Ebukam, Azeez and Jimmy Ward.

So yes, Wilks was scapegoated.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Feb 15, 2024 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
The defense was going to have a regression even with Ryans because it was the top defense last year and they lost Omenihu, Ebukam, Azeez and Jimmy Ward.

And all those guys leaving caused Nick Bosa and Javon Hargrave to lose the ability to rush the passer too.

The problem with this is you can see the issues when breaking down the games. It's a fair point to say maybe the depth wasn't as good, and put some responsibility on players… but you could see clear problems with the scheme.

i've always felt most DC's really depend on talent. Great DC's can scheme up lesser talent. Crappy DC's can lead to underperformance.

That's pretty general, but he probably fits in the third category.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

The defense regressed in the playoffs and had us in a position to lose both playoff games. It regressed 1 time during the season when they lost 3 in a row especially Vikings and Bengals games
Originally posted by pd24:
The defense regressed in the playoffs and had us in a position to lose both playoff games. It regressed 1 time during the season when they lost 3 in a row especially Vikings and Bengals games

The offense was garbage in the first half of both playoff games too (7 points in every half) and in the Super Bowl the defense was by far the best unit of the team.

19 points allowed should be enough to win a game but the offense was awful in the Super Bowl......again.
The offense was garbage in the first half of both playoff games too (7 points in every half) and in the Super Bowl the defense was by far the best unit of the team.

19 points allowed should be enough to win a game but the offense was awful in the Super Bowl......again.

Actually the offense put the team in position to score 10 points in the first half of the Packers game… on three drives.

That's better efficiency than the regular season, where they were one of the most efficient offenses all time.

That's what can happen when the other team dominates the ball and your defense can't get off the field.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Actually the offense put the team in position to score 10 points in the first half of the Packers game… on three drives.

That's better efficiency than the regular season, where they were one of the most efficient offenses all time.

That's what can happen when the other team dominates the ball and your defense can't get off the field.

They were in position.......but they only scored 7 both times and in the SB I blame the offensive players for scoring only 10 in the first half but I blame Shanahan for the second half and the OT.

Wilks didn't lose the SB. Shanahan did.
They were in position.......but they only scored 7 both times and in the SB I blame the offensive players for scoring only 10 in the first half but I blame Shanahan for the second half and the OT.

It's not the offense's fault a FG isn't converted (Drive 3 vs Packers).

Wilks was fired for his work over the season. Agree he didn't cost them the SB. Neither did Shanahan. There are a ton of things that you could point to that could have flipped the outcome of the game. We lost to a great team.

It certainly shouldn't have regressed to the level it did and with some of the additions it shouldve improved in some areas,Wilks was bad DC always has been and his track record shows that.

It's not the offense's fault a FG isn't converted (Drive 3 vs Packers).

Wilks was fired for his work over the season. Agree he didn't cost them the SB. Neither did Shanahan. There are a ton of things that you could point to that could have flipped the outcome of the game. We lost to a great team.
We obviously have a different definition of a great team,we pissed it away at multiple spots to an at best good team.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
We obviously have a different definition of a great team,we pissed it away at multiple spots to an at best good team.

They are a 3 time SB winner in 5 years. Just went through one of the most difficult playoff paths by opponent DVOA ever. I agree we had opportunities to win and couldn't cash it in, because we are also very good, but that Chiefs team is a dynasty.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Feb 15, 2024 at 8:15 PM ]

They are a 3 time SB winner in 5 years. Just went through one of the most difficult playoff paths by opponent DVOA ever. I agree we had opportunities to win and couldn't cash it in, because we are also very good, but that Chiefs team is a dynasty.
No argument about them being a dynasty but I'm not particularly impressed by there path and this team was the weakest of the bunch by far in my opinion.

No argument about them being a dynasty but I'm not particularly impressed by there path and this team was the weakest of the bunch by far in my opinion.

KC's defense was the best they'v'e had in the SB by a mile. Period. Lock down CBs. Allowed three 100 yard receivers in 21 f**king games. Kirk, Palmer, and Flowers (in playoffs). They are locking downs guys like AJ Brown, Adams x 2, JJ, Diggs, Chase, and Hill x 2 all of which are better than SF's receivers. SHoulda had a way more run-centric plan, why Mason wasn'y at least slightly inolved, who knows.
Originally posted by Rathof44:

KC's defense was the best they'v'e had in the SB by a mile. Period. Lock down CBs. Allowed three 100 yard receivers in 21 f**king games. Kirk, Palmer, and Flowers (in playoffs). They are locking downs guys like AJ Brown, Adams x 2, JJ, Diggs, Chase, and Hill x 2 all of which are better than SF's receivers. SHoulda had a way more run-centric plan, why Mason wasn'y at least slightly inolved, who knows.
They were a great pass defense I'll give you that but even with that there were plays to be made in the passing game,but I agree completely should've been a more run heavy game plan,but overall they weren't a great team.
Share 49ersWebzone