There are 154 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
only if we can have the 85 rules to go with it

Lol right. The soft personal foul they gave Greenlaw today should be reminder enough you can't play physical on defense like that anymore.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I can't blame him for the play of the dline. They just got there asses whooped by the Rams. The cbs playing 10 yards off was on Wilks. Would love for him to be questioned about that.
We get hurt by soft zone all the time. Not too impressed with our stunts either. Wilks in another time zone in the booth. He's not talking with the players. We looked very average out there. But credit goes to the rams too -- they have always had a good oline.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
I don't recall a s**ttier game plan. With the amount of talent this defense has this is inexcusable. I pin this on him.

Agreed. Terrible performance. Our defensive talent vs their offensive talent, with a good defensive coordinator, this should have been a slaughter.

To his credit we did start to blitz and got Stafford more uncomfortable. I still don't understand playing off 10-15 yards when Stafford was not going deep.

I have been skeptical all off season but do want to be fair to him that he needs some time to adjust into this.

Demeco was shaky at first as well.
Keep playing those CBs 10 yards off Wilks. Dude has no business being a DC.
I wonder if he learned something about his personnel and game plan from the Rams 1st half. I'm very curious to see how he adjusts going forward. Will he reverse his stance to start games blitzing with tighter coverage and then once up big, play more soft zone and eat up the clock?

Thoughts?
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 18, 2023 at 5:31 AM ]
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Even with RS and DR we had a few games a year where our stout D left us scratching our heads wondering if we were really as good as we thought. Hoping Wilks turns it around Thursday, got bad Victor Cruz flashbacks yesterday.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I wonder if he learned something about his personnel and game plan from the Rams 1st half. I'm very curious to see how he adjusts going forward. Will he reverse his stance to start games blitzing with tighter coverage and then once up big, play more soft zone and eat up the clock?

Thoughts?

UUnfortunately the important lesson about this game is all about Stafford. All the scouting reports are true. The only way to get Stafford off his rhythm is to put a rude boy in his face. As often as you can. If you don't do that he'll be knitting sweaters all game long
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
UUnfortunately the important lesson about this game is all about Stafford. All the scouting reports are true. The only way to get Stafford off his rhythm is to put a rude boy in his face. As often as you can. If you don't do that he'll be knitting sweaters all game long

Yup

Thoughts?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yup

Yup. I think they should expect offenses to go with quick slants, come backs etc, because they know our pass rush will usually get there asap. What frustrated me is we did not adjust the secondary playing tighter until the second half. I am not sure why they didn't adjust to it quicker, but I feel like it came from Kyle.

That being said we all knew with a new DC it may take a few games to recalibrate the defense and I see this as that.
He's figuring his guys out. Have to realize he's the outsider coming in to run their system instead of the other way around. Even with DeMeco, although he was a 1st time DC, he had been with us for years. Itll come together. People also need to realize this is a good Rams team with good coaching. Going to see how he handles bottom feeders and a short week the next two weeks as well as an elite team. Its a nice mix of opponents to open the season.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Thoughts?

Some DC's are stunt guys, some DC's are blitz guys. Wilks, to me, is a blitz guy and not a big stunt guy. I think he's not as comfortable with the Wide 9 as Demeco was. Heck *I'm* still uncomfortable with it as a base defense. It's essentially a pass rush alignment - being used as a base defense.

He likes to make everything look like the same front as any other defense, but changes it up with the blitz. Sort of like Fangio. The blitz by Warner is an example. He drops into zone until he doesn't - and sacks Stafford.

Next game, I'd open up with the nickel against the Rams and dare them to run on our big nickel. I don't think their Running attack is very strong, while Nacua, Tutu, and the rest remind me of the greatest Turds on Turf offense.
I still dont think we need to blitz as much as we needed to int he 2nd half of that game

Stafford was getting rid of the ball really fast he barely was dropping back. I think almost 100% of his passes fely like they were within 12 yards and his WR did a great job of finding soft pots in zone. McVay did a great job in his route concepts in order to clear people to set that up. We made some good adjustments and blitzed because the way Stafford was playing the only way to get pressure was a free rusher.

Off the top of my head, I cant really think of another team that does that quick of a strike
[ Edited by ritz126 on Sep 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
I still dont think we need to blitz as much as we needed to int he 2nd half of that game

Stafford was getting rid of the ball really fast he barely wasvdropping back. I think almost 100% of his passes fely like they were within 12 yards and his WR did a great job of finding soft pots in zone. McVay dia great job in his route concepts in order to clear people to set that up. We made some good adjustments and blitzed because the way Stafford was playing the only way to get pressure was a free rusher.

Off the top of my head I cant really think of another team that does that quick of a strike

Brady would do that with the Pats. He took what the d gave him.
I can't blame him for the play of the dline. They just got there asses whooped by the Rams. The cbs playing 10 yards off was on Wilks. Would love for him to be questioned about that.
We get hurt by soft zone all the time. Not too impressed with our stunts either. Wilks in another time zone in the booth. He's not talking with the players. We looked very average out there. But credit goes to the rams too -- they have always had a good oline.

I'll have to rewatch the game but I didn't seem to really notice many stunts. I do like the A gap blitzes with Fred. Don't love the OLB blitz with Greenlaw. Good qb's will pick that apart. Also we need our best player to step it up. Rams did do a great job overall though. I don't expect the Giants to do the same. But Jones is a very mobile qb so that will pose a different threat for the d line.
I'll have to rewatch the game but I didn't seem to really notice many stunts. I do like the A gap blitzes with Fred. Don't love the OLB blitz with Greenlaw. Good qb's will pick that apart. Also we need our best player to step it up. Rams did do a great job overall though. I don't expect the Giants to do the same. But Jones is a very mobile qb so that will pose a different threat for the d line.

stunts when Stafford is going to release the ball pretty much immediately is kind of useless isn't it?
Share 49ersWebzone