There are 136 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I listened on the radio since the game was blacked out in my area but it didn't seem like they blitzed much. I don't want them to be blitz crazy but an occasional blitz to make the QB aware of the rush would be nice.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I listened on the radio since the game was blacked out in my area but it didn't seem like they blitzed much. I don't want them to be blitz crazy but an occasional blitz to make the QB aware of the rush would be nice.

Almost nada first half, some in the second, but Oliver stopped a key third down because of it. Many plays in the second they showed blitz, but dropped back etc.

Initial impression - he was getting out coached first half and didn't adjust fast enough imo. They adjusted at half time and tightened up after. I don't mind blitzing at all when its smart and just something they have to compensate for.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Almost nada first half, some in the second, but Oliver stopped a key third down because of it. Many plays in the second they showed blitz, but dropped back etc.

Initial impression - he was getting out coached first half and didn't adjust fast enough imo. They adjusted at half time and tightened up after. I don't mind blitzing at all when its smart and just something they have to compensate for.

I did see the one where Oliver broke through and disrupted Stafford. Was that the one where he got to Stafford and forced him off his mark. Bosa fought through a double team and finished it off. I was watching the NFL Network which was flipping back and forth between games while listening on my computer.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I did see the one where Oliver broke through and disrupted Stafford. Was that the one where he got to Stafford and forced him off his mark. Bosa fought through a double team and finished it off. I was watching the NFL Network which was flipping back and forth between games while listening on my computer.

The adjustment in the 2nd half was to blitz more. I'm fine with coming into the game with a 'don't blitz too much' mindset. Coming into the season, I was afraid of Wilks being blitz happy when it's unnecessary. The only complaint I have is that Wilks perhaps should have went to the blitz sooner - at some point in the first half. The important part is that he eventually adjusted. He's still learning his new players so there's an adjustment period for him as well. My main takeaway is that the Rams pass protection is better than I (and Wilks) thought, or that they played very well yesterday.
I am fine with being reserved with the blitz but in the first half we weren't even showing it. Especially against a young team just showing forces checks and line of scrimmage adjustments that have a chance to force miscommunications and mistakes. We just let those guys play in their comfort zone for a full half.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'll have to rewatch the game but I didn't seem to really notice many stunts. I do like the A gap blitzes with Fred. Don't love the OLB blitz with Greenlaw. Good qb's will pick that apart. Also we need our best player to step it up. Rams did do a great job overall though. I don't expect the Giants to do the same. But Jones is a very mobile qb so that will pose a different threat for the d line.

stunts when Stafford is going to release the ball pretty much immediately is kind of useless isn't it?

Making a free rusher is helpful . Even if he can't get there, it's distracting. I think Stafford threw a ground ball or two on that final drive.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'll have to rewatch the game but I didn't seem to really notice many stunts. I do like the A gap blitzes with Fred. Don't love the OLB blitz with Greenlaw. Good qb's will pick that apart. Also we need our best player to step it up. Rams did do a great job overall though. I don't expect the Giants to do the same. But Jones is a very mobile qb so that will pose a different threat for the d line.

stunts when Stafford is going to release the ball pretty much immediately is kind of useless isn't it?

Making a free rusher is helpful . Even if he can't get there, it's distracting. I think Stafford threw a ground ball or two on that final drive.

Re stunts, it doesn't help that your DPOTY was out all training camp. You need the DT and DE work together on those and it takes a while to get their timing down on those defensive concepts. Give them another week or two and I think we'll see more stunts. I hope.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Re stunts, it doesn't help that your DPOTY was out all training camp. You need the DT and DE work together on those and it takes a while to get their timing down on those defensive concepts. Give them another week or two and I think we'll see more stunts. I hope.

lets all be HONEST here..

Aside allowing a darn ROOKIE to set a record on national TV for most catches, our D was NOT doing anything until that short (23) RB of the Rams allowed the ball to go thru his hand and we INT it....
I think Kyle went up to him during halftime and went....

It's only been 2 games, but this guy calls games like he doesn't have studs on his DL with the barrage of soft coverages. It's hard to get home when you're allowing the ball to consistently come out so quickly.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 18, 2023 at 12:54 PM ]

49ers defense is currently 2nd in the league with 4 INT's.
Was there a reason we gave Nacua in particular a free release every play
I think tackling was an issue for our defense last week, lots of times we were t wrapping up and the rams got extra yards.
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

Generally we like playing off ball allowing the underneath catch and rallying to the football, in other words, we want to force long drives, and avoid allowing the big play
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

Yes. McVay is creating free releases through formation and motion so the kid doesn't have to fight through jams at the LOS.
Share 49ersWebzone