There are 138 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'll have to rewatch the game but I didn't seem to really notice many stunts. I do like the A gap blitzes with Fred. Don't love the OLB blitz with Greenlaw. Good qb's will pick that apart. Also we need our best player to step it up. Rams did do a great job overall though. I don't expect the Giants to do the same. But Jones is a very mobile qb so that will pose a different threat for the d line.

stunts when Stafford is going to release the ball pretty much immediately is kind of useless isn't it?

Making a free rusher is helpful . Even if he can't get there, it's distracting. I think Stafford threw a ground ball or two on that final drive.

Moody had a free run at him and whiffed. Probably because you can't unload on a QB anymore. Was it Goldston that sawed Kitna in half ?
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by ritz126:
I'll have to rewatch the game but I didn't seem to really notice many stunts. I do like the A gap blitzes with Fred. Don't love the OLB blitz with Greenlaw. Good qb's will pick that apart. Also we need our best player to step it up. Rams did do a great job overall though. I don't expect the Giants to do the same. But Jones is a very mobile qb so that will pose a different threat for the d line.

stunts when Stafford is going to release the ball pretty much immediately is kind of useless isn't it?

Making a free rusher is helpful . Even if he can't get there, it's distracting. I think Stafford threw a ground ball or two on that final drive.

Moody had a free run at him and whiffed. Probably because you can't unload on a QB anymore. Was it Goldston that sawed Kitna in half ?

He whiffed because he bit on the fake and went for the legs. Should have just zeroed in on his chest so he wouldn't get faked and raised his hands to face guard him so he had a harder time seeing down field. Or stick his left arm out so that if Staff threw, he couldn't follow thru, But he definately should have stayed up not go down.

Bosa, also made a mistake when he went inside and lost containment since their was no one outside of him when Staff went ouside and scrambled. and ran for a 1st down. They have to make adjustments so they don't lose containment.

Stafford was about to get.. JACKED UP
anyone remember that segment?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Stafford was about to get.. JACKED UP
anyone remember that segment?

WILKS gots to know that those Giants should not get more than 20 on us.. NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!
Shantae Spencer
Can really make a statement by shutting down the Giants offense.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This might be a run fest tonight b/c of the strengths/short week. Let's shut 'em down.

I want to perform somewhat similar to how the Cowboys did vs the Giants...minus probably the defensive touchdowns. I realize asking for a shutout is essentially a pipe dream.

We can easily surpass what they did on offense.

This forum expects our D to shut down the Giants offense. Anything other than that would be a disappointment. Hard to make a statement with that kind of expectation.
I thought the Fred blitzes were designed well... they were A gap to the side that was manned up in pass pro where the back was not available to pick him up... DT on one side took the center sliding, and the other DT took the guard in man, A gap wide open, I wish we had cutups because Fred crossed over on both of them, not sure if that tied up the back or was just there to add confusion to the OL pass pro count

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I thought the Fred blitzes were designed well... they were A gap to the side that was manned up in pass pro where the back was not available to pick him up... DT on one side took the center sliding, and the other DT took the guard in man, A gap wide open, I wish we had cutups because Fred crossed over on both of them, not sure if that tied up the back or was just there to add confusion to the OL pass pro count

Those A gap blitzes worked a lot better then Greenlaw blitzing from the outside. The CB blitz from Ward was a good call as well, Ward just didn't execute. I always wanted DR and Saleh to add more A gap blitzes. Usually puts immediate pressure on the qb and forces him to throw the ball away.

Those A gap blitzes worked a lot better then Greenlaw blitzing from the outside. The CB blitz from Ward was a good call as well, Ward just didn't execute. I always wanted DR and Saleh to add more A gap blitzes. Usually puts immediate pressure on the qb and forces him to throw the ball away.

this is true.... but an experienced QB can crush it as now you have one less LB to flow vs an outside run or quick pass in the flat like a bubble or swing

this is true.... but an experienced QB can crush it as now you have one less LB to flow vs an outside run or quick pass in the flat like a bubble or swing

True Stafford mostly picked apart the blitzes that were coming from Greenlaw. Gotta disguise them well. Will be interesting to see how they mix the blitzes in on Jones who is much more mobile.
Hoping this is just growing pains as he gets acclimated. Week 1 was fantastic but last game and the start of this game are blah
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 21, 2023 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Hoping this is just growing pains as he gets acclimated. Week 1 was fantastic but last game and the start of this game are blah

WILKS caging 29 !!! he's not being used to his strenght... Wilks is leashing him.. he needs to be un-caged !!!
Share 49ersWebzone