There are 118 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'll give Wilks this, 2nd half adjustmens are impressive
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I'll give Wilks this, 2nd half adjustmens are impressive

Agreed
Folks are so hard on this guy. It's like if they don't get 5 sacks a game we suck. Only given up 12 points is not bad. And the td was partly on the offense and special teams.
He called better this game than last.

I don't get the flip flop though. We bring pressure constantly on Jones instead of playing the soft zone where he might actually get impatient and not take what's given, yet on Stafford you just let him eat you up on short passes all game...

Just jerky makes no sense.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Folks are so hard on this guy. It's like if they don't get 5 sacks a game we suck. Only given up 12 points is not bad. And the td was partly on the offense and special teams.

Given our last 2 DC's it's probably just alotta unrealistic expectations from day 1.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
He's fine tuning the D for the DAL game
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
He called better this game than last.

I don't get the flip flop though. We bring pressure constantly on Jones instead of playing the soft zone where he might actually get impatient and not take what's given, yet on Stafford you just let him eat you up on short passes all game...

Just jerky makes no sense.

He called better this week because Stafford is far more elite than Jones. So far what the defense has given up is exactly what id expect against Pickett (7), Stafford (23), Jones (12).

Wilks is doing just fine
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Given our last 2 DC's it's probably just alotta unrealistic expectations from day 1.

True. Plus folks were calling out DR early in his tenure.
It just seems like he likes to play off and not give up big plays to see what offenses do.. then adjust accordingly.

Eitherway when camera showed him in the box upstairs.. he was locked in writing s**t down 🤓 lol.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 21, 2023 at 9:47 PM ]
  • thl408
First NYG drive of the 2nd half, 3rd & 7. Wilks puts out a 5-1 front (Warner at LB, 5 DBs). This is unusual, since when teams blitz, they like to disguise. Not the 49ers here. Five downlinemen (Bosa, AA, Hargrave, Kinlaw, Drake) to rush the QB with man coverage to back it up. Straight up, "we are rushing five". Hargrave busted through to put on initial pressure, pass incomplete.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
One thing's for sure about Wilks is that he knows how to make half time adjustments. Hopefully he keeps it up.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
One thing's for sure about Wilks is that he knows how to make half time adjustments. Hopefully he keeps it up.

we have to remember he is on the early side of the business arc.
Learning, tweaking etc.

hoping its perfection towards the back half of the season.
Originally posted by thl408:
First NYG drive of the 2nd half, 3rd & 7. Wilks puts out a 5-1 front (Warner at LB, 5 DBs). This is unusual, since when teams blitz, they like to disguise. Not the 49ers here. Five downlinemen (Bosa, AA, Hargrave, Kinlaw, Drake) to rush the QB with man coverage to back it up. Straight up, "we are rushing five". Hargrave busted through to put on initial pressure, pass incomplete.

we have 5 athletic guys who can all go after the pass rusher gives them all 1 on 1 so its not a bad alignment only issue id tif OL contains well they can break a run loose with only 1 LB.
Adding Hargrave makes this one of the best DL I've seen our front 7 is stacked no team is attempting to even run on us and almost every game teams are avoiding a 5+ step drop back and if they do they get pressure.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by thl408:

we have 5 athletic guys who can all go after the pass rusher gives them all 1 on 1 so its not a bad alignment only issue id tif OL contains well they can break a run loose with only 1 LB.

I first saw it in the PIT game when it was a 1st & 10. I figured it was to bolster the run defense and dare Pickett to beat them on that down.
Last night it was a passing down. It's so deliberate and is daring the offense to beat the man coverage while not disguising anything - zero element of surprise. I think this what Wilks was referring to when he said he would challenge his defense by being more aggressive, something like that. I'll try to find that quote.
Share 49ersWebzone