There are 155 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by ritz126:
I see chargers and bears HC position opening up maybe raiders. I dont htink Anthony Lynn gets hired this cycle

Raiders are still paying Gruden a ton. Theyll convince themselves to give Josh a 3rd year just from a financial standpoint.

Fair or not if Browns don't make the playoffs Stefanski will fall on the sword.

Coutdnt possibly be the bad contract on the QB. . .
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I want him for 2- 3 years. Besides the draft picks,I'd like some stability, for some young DBs to develop under him, and for us to possibly groom someone from within.

Good call!

IMO, he's really been doing a fine job.
Enjoy him or get your shots in while he lasts lol, this guy is future HC material
I'm kind of interested to see how Wilks fares and calls plays once he's gone through a full season with our defense. One of the write-ups on the front page noted that, early on in Demeco's tenure, fans were calling for his head. He ended up improving vastly, and in my opinion, has been our best defensive coordinator in a long time. The man mixed up his coverages so well, despite having journeymen corners starting for us.

It does look like Wilks is really trying different things, so interesting to see what the defense looks like by the end of the season. I have a good feeling about him though. Smart, experienced coach.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I want him for 2- 3 years. Besides the draft picks,I'd like some stability, for some young DBs to develop under him, and for us to possibly groom someone from within.

Good call!

I think he's here at least 2 years. No mount he wants another shot at a HC gig, and running this D will give him his best chance at one, but it would be a dick move to just come here 1 year then bolt.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I'm kind of interested to see how Wilks fares and calls plays once he's gone through a full season with our defense. One of the write-ups on the front page noted that, early on in Demeco's tenure, fans were calling for his head. He ended up improving vastly, and in my opinion, has been our best defensive coordinator in a long time. The man mixed up his coverages so well, despite having journeymen corners starting for us.

It does look like Wilks is really trying different things, so interesting to see what the defense looks like by the end of the season. I have a good feeling about him though. Smart, experienced coach.

DeMeco had the advantage of knowing the players (was LB coach), but was a first time DC. Wilks is an experienced DC, but didn't know the players until he was hired. For sure there's a feeling out process and the defense should get better as the players and Wilks get accustomed to one another.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Does he still have Head Coaching Aspirations, or can we finally be able to keep a DC for a few years?

He'll be under contract for two years at least. So its the same as Saleh and Demeco, Wilks 2 years as DC then off to being a HC somewhere. Same with Anthony Lynn, he's up next, then Kyle has to find another Assistant HC in the offseason.

With Mike McDaniel going 3-0, one of (i think) only 3 unbeaten coaches in the NFL right now, Anthony looks (for now) like a lock at being the next Kyle assistant to get a HC job.

I see chargers and bears HC position opening up maybe raiders. I dont htink Anthony Lynn gets hired this cycle

I've seen playoff level coaches get fired (Seifert and Mooch as examples) so even if you are not a bottom feeding team, the ownership might just decide to off you and get new coaching because they are tired of not getting to the big dance. Point is, you never know, and as a GM - Lynch and the front office have to be prepared for Anthony Lynn to be poached. His two years is up with the 49ers, and I do hope he stays with us, but given that Kyle's staff was raided when he was a 6-10 coach, it's a darn good chance Anthony is on his last year with us.

I"m just amazed at how good Mike McDaniel is doing with the Dolphins. They became really impressive underneath his tenure. If that holds up, and with Anthony being another Kyle Shanahan offensive coach -- he'll be a **VERY** wanted man.

Wilks looks like he's getting the hang of the defensive personnel. I'm a big fan of his five man front tweak to the Wide 9.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Does he still have Head Coaching Aspirations, or can we finally be able to keep a DC for a few years?

He'll be under contract for two years at least. So its the same as Saleh and Demeco, Wilks 2 years as DC then off to being a HC somewhere. Same with Anthony Lynn, he's up next, then Kyle has to find another Assistant HC in the offseason.

With Mike McDaniel going 3-0, one of (i think) only 3 unbeaten coaches in the NFL right now, Anthony looks (for now) like a lock at being the next Kyle assistant to get a HC job.

I've seen playoff level coaches get fired (Seifert and Mooch as examples) so even if you are not a bottom feeding team, the ownership might just decide to off you and get new coaching because they are tired of not getting to the big dance. Point is, you never know, and as a GM - Lynch and the front office have to be prepared for Anthony Lynn to be poached. His two years is up with the 49ers, and I do hope he stays with us, but given that Kyle's staff was raided when he was a 6-10 coach, it's a darn good chance Anthony is on his last year with us.

I"m just amazed at how good Mike McDaniel is doing with the Dolphins. They became really impressive underneath his tenure. If that holds up, and with Anthony being another Kyle Shanahan offensive coach -- he'll be a **VERY** wanted man.

Wilks looks like he's getting the hang of the defensive personnel. I'm a big fan of his five man front tweak to the Wide 9.

Agreed
So far he's done what he said he was going to do. It was posted in the other thread, but we've given up the least amount of explosive plays in the league. Its only week 3 and we haven't really played any high powered offenses yet, but if he can sustain this throughout the year then hes backed up his words.
Steve Wilks on 49ers culture:
"So, I told you guys back in the spring, I've never been around an elite group like this before," Wilks said on Thursday. "And it's not just so much the talent; it's about how we work. These guys grind every day. Walkthrough, they're locked in, they're focused. Everything is about details. That's the difference at this level.

"I've been doing it for a long time. There's a lot of talent around the league, but nobody is a stickler to the details as we are here."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/172520-steve-wilks-defense-around-before/

interesting to hear coaches compare niners vs other teams

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
"So, I told you guys back in the spring, I've never been around an elite group like this before," Wilks said on Thursday. "And it's not just so much the talent; it's about how we work. These guys grind every day. Walkthrough, they're locked in, they're focused. Everything is about details. That's the difference at this level.

"I've been doing it for a long time. There's a lot of talent around the league, but nobody is a stickler to the details as we are here."

he went from outhouse to penthouse
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Good call!

I think he's here at least 2 years. No mount he wants another shot at a HC gig, and running this D will give him his best chance at one, but it would be a dick move to just come here 1 year then bolt.

We can hire Saleh back if Wilks decides to leave as I don't think he will make it to next year. Still think he will be here for 2 years minimum though.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
So far he's done what he said he was going to do. It was posted in the other thread, but we've given up the least amount of explosive plays in the league. Its only week 3 and we haven't really played any high powered offenses yet, but if he can sustain this throughout the year then hes backed up his words.

Good post!

Dallas will be our 2nd big test, Steelers were the first.

Wilks is doing fine and improving week to week.

We'll be facing some high powered offenses in Bengals, Ravens and Browns who are all improving each week.

I'm only worried about the Ravens. Mobile QB's have been a problem over the years and I'm interested to see how Wilks handles them.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Good post!

Dallas will be our 2nd big test, Steelers were the first.

Wilks is doing fine and improving week to week.

We'll be facing some high powered offenses in Bengals, Ravens and Browns who are all improving each week.

I'm only worried about the Ravens. Mobile QB's have been a problem over the years and I'm interested to see how Wilks handles them.

Mobile QBs have been an issue, but I think our defenses for the most part have slowed them down enough- save for the Mariotta game. The difference is I think our offense is better than the defense and can carry the defense if necessary. So while Lamar might get his, I can't see him lighting up the scoreboard. We should be able to score enough to beat Baltimore.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

EXPECT a new DC who landed a great D to say things like this 99% of the time..
Share 49ersWebzone