There are 198 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Hopefully Wilks has a stronger command of how to scheme with our defensive personnel by the end of the season... but he's playing a very "bend, but don't break" scheme unless he feels the front four can't get pressure. It's fine because we're putting up 30+ points per game on offense, but I think he can stand to be a little more aggressive on third down situations. Sure, there's a risk of giving up a big play on third down, but I feel like we have the offense that can weather the storm if the defense loses on those gambles.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Guy sucks. How does he look on points per minute they actually have to defend? The offense controls the clock most of th game. Supposedly we have like top 5 defense talent but if you average out any stats points per minute bet we score middle or worse...

In this game, TOP was relatively 50/50, so I wouldn't look at it like that. 30 minutes each team and they allowed 16.
I just think they can be more aggressive on 3rd down to end drives.

We roughly have the same talent on defense the past few years, arguably the strongest defensive line since our 2019 season. We should've forced more punts and maybe ended the game a drive earlier.
The d line is a disappointment so far to me. Secondary was always going to be an issue.
Originally posted by lamontb:
The d line is a disappointment so far to me. Secondary was always going to be an issue.

Hargrave has been the stand out imo. Bosa very good, but a step back from last season so far. Armstead and the rest have the occasional play otherwise mediocre. Also every single team is throwing most short early on then guys tire they try deeper. It's the same thing every week.
Wilkes soft coverage defense is why this Dline is getting pressures but not many sacks. Need to force the QB to have to hold onto the ball a second longer.
are you sleeping up in the booth?
Proof is in the pudding.....

I am hoping now that we are past 4 games...that tradition of starting slow is behind us. I know we didn't actually start slow...but maybe some guys have, and I I hope they pick it up.

I wanted to really like the Wilks pick up at DC, but so far...ehhhh....
This defense is a lot better than many of us give it credit for but it's extremely boring for how much talent they have.
Also did he call a single blitz this game? Last week he adjusted and started calling some blitzes in the 2nd half when the front 4 were not getting home. This week he made no adjustments.
Vish Kumaran is hitting it on the head right now talking about trusting and not trusting your players. We only have two CBs that the coaches trust which limits to what you call and how you coach the defense. The comparison is Brock Purdy to Jimmy Garrapolo and how Shanahan trust Brock more than Jimmy which allows you to open up the playbook knowing your QB will make the right decision with the ball, if the play breaks down. Wilks does not have that ability right now because he doesn't have the players at the spot other than Ward and at times Oliver and Lenoir...at times. Ambry Thomas is awful and should never see the field.

This team has 40 plus million to use and they HAVE TO make a trade for a better CB and maybe a better DE that plays the opposite of Bosa.

Originally posted by Dshearn:
Proof is in the pudding.....

I am hoping now that we are past 4 games...that tradition of starting slow is behind us. I know we didn't actually start slow...but maybe some guys have, and I I hope they pick it up.

I wanted to really like the Wilks pick up at DC, but so far...ehhhh....

I definitely believe they've made a ton of mistakes and there's room for improvement. Dallas we certainly be a good test next week.

Originally posted by JTB1974:
Also did he call a single blitz this game? Last week he adjusted and started calling some blitzes in the 2nd half when the front 4 were not getting home. This week he made no adjustments.

Yeah, I noticed maybe one blitz? Maybe because of Dobbs mobility?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Hargrave has been the stand out imo. Bosa very good, but a step back from last season so far. Armstead and the rest have the occasional play otherwise mediocre. Also every single team is throwing most short early on then guys tire they try deeper. It's the same thing every week.

D line is about to get there for a bunch of sacks and the secondary allows the qb to get a completion. Anytime the secondary is able to hold up a bit there is a pressure or sack.

If the secondary would hold up better the d line could eat more consistently.
Expecting what we have in the secondary to hold up to allow the d line to get home just isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. They just don't have the talent. Thomas shouldn't even be on the roster. Lenior might aswell just play safety he's so far off. They need a vet CB. And the d line has to step it up. The big boy teams are going to shred them. Glad the offense is high powered
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Wilkes soft coverage defense is why this Dline is getting pressures but not many sacks. Need to force the QB to have to hold onto the ball a second longer.
BINGO!!!!
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Guy sucks. How does he look on points per minute they actually have to defend? The offense controls the clock most of th game. Supposedly we have like top 5 defense talent but if you average out any stats points per minute bet we score middle or worse...
Sucks is inaccurate. But he's definitely playing softball with all these dogs. Saleh had these guys taking teams souls in 2019. DeMeco looked like he had an all time defense until Mosely got hurt in 2022.

I think Lenoir is a solid corner. We should be able to.play more man and give our D line some time to work. Next week will be a true test.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Expecting what we have in the secondary to hold up to allow the d line to get home just isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. They just don't have the talent. Thomas shouldn't even be on the roster. Lenior might aswell just play safety he's so far off. They need a vet CB. And the d line has to step it up. The big boy teams are going to shred them. Glad the offense is high powered

Can't put this 100% on the players. We know what thry can do. Its like we are throwing jabs and winning on points instead of knocking guys out. Maybe this is all calculated but I definitely want to see more aggressive playcalling.
Share 49ersWebzone