There are 174 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
Expecting what we have in the secondary to hold up to allow the d line to get home just isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. They just don't have the talent. Thomas shouldn't even be on the roster. Lenior might aswell just play safety he's so far off. They need a vet CB. And the d line has to step it up. The big boy teams are going to shred them. Glad the offense is high powered

To expect the d line to get home in 2 seconds also isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. Need to March coverage with pressure more consistently.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TD49ers:
are you sleeping up in the booth?

the booth is the problem after Saleh and Demeco
Expecting what we have in the secondary to hold up to allow the d line to get home just isn't going to happen on a consistent basis. They just don't have the talent. Thomas shouldn't even be on the roster. Lenior might aswell just play safety he's so far off. They need a vet CB. And the d line has to step it up. The big boy teams are going to shred them. Glad the offense is high powered

They did fine last year.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

They did fine last year.

Exactly. It's the same players aside slot.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

They did fine last year.

Teams with legitimate offenses will score on this defense. This season will come down to Purdy
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Wilkes soft coverage defense is why this Dline is getting pressures but not many sacks. Need to force the QB to have to hold onto the ball a second longer.
BINGO!!!!

I second this.
Teams with legitimate offenses will score on this defense. This season will come down to Purdy

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

This defense is fine.

its still finding its way with wilks.

I am more interested in Dec/Jan - Not sept.

They did fine last year.

Doesn't it always come down to the QB? We have had elite defenses and okay QB play. Id he concerned if this were a Trey or Jimmy led offense. I trust this defense to slow down an elite offense enough. I trust the offense to get a score when they need one. Hopefully Wilks brings it a lot more in the weeks to come. But Arizona is far better than anyone gave them credit for.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Held an NFL team to 16 points.

Dont cry.

Originally posted by Crown:

Dont cry.

Agreed. I'm thinking long term. It's obvious they can play even better imo, that's the thinking. I believe Wilks is feeling them out as much as they are him etc. I expect and hope it to settle in as the season goes.

Dont cry.

The "second best team in the league" got smashed by Arizona last week and yet we're in the sky is falling mode lol.
If the WZ got their way we'd probably go through 3-4 DC's per season.

Saleh and Ryans both had people calling for their heads early as well.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Wilkes soft coverage defense is why this Dline is getting pressures but not many sacks. Need to force the QB to have to hold onto the ball a second longer.

probably this

I think the old defense played the passing windows/lanes more and we saw the backs of the defenders less.

I dont want to hate on Wilks, I just don't...... my expectations of what I would see and what is actually happening are different.

Dont cry.

Agreed. I'm thinking long term. It's obvious they can play even better imo, that's the thinking. I believe Wilks is feeling them out as much as they are him etc. I expect and hope it to settle in as the season goes.

This is what I'm thinking. They definitely can be better, but the fire him talk is absurd.
Share 49ersWebzone