49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 420 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
He's gone the Jimmy Raye route and decided to take naps at critical points of the game. This 2 minute nap during the 2 minute drill where he tells everyone to sit back on defense and presses autopilot is annoying as f**k.

I know team make 2nd half adjustments, but this guy looks like he's had to completely flip the playbook at halftime in most of our games this year. I mean at some point this team needs an identity on defense and it can't be 10 yards cushions
He allowed the first 99 yard TD drive given up since 2002. That should tell you all you need to know about how good he is...
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
If the WZ got their way we'd probably go through 3-4 DC's per season.

Saleh and Ryans both had people calling for their heads early as well.

I mean overall our scheme seems very blah. We're depending on our front 4 to get home and teams are getting rid of the ball quickly.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
If the WZ got their way we'd probably go through 3-4 DC's per season.

Saleh and Ryans both had people calling for their heads early as well.

I mean overall our scheme seems very blah. We're depending on our front 4 to get home and teams are getting rid of the ball quickly.

So far yes. Maybe but such a bad thing since we are still winning. The defense will need to improve once we see playoff teams like we will next week.
Originally posted by DrEll:
He's gone the Jimmy Raye route and decided to take naps at critical points of the game. This 2 minute nap during the 2 minute drill where he tells everyone to sit back on defense and presses autopilot is annoying as f**k.

I know team make 2nd half adjustments, but this guy looks like he's had to completely flip the playbook at halftime in most of our games this year. I mean at some point this team needs an identity on defense and it can't be 10 yards cushions
Stevy Rylks
Originally posted by InfernoDaLuz:
Originally posted by DrEll:

Stevy Rylks

Hahaha
Originally posted by NYniner85:

One thing Ryans was really good at was calling some timely blitzes to break teams offensive runs. I didn't see much of that from Wilks, it was almost too easy for the Cardinals. I'd say this was unique but I saw him do the same thing when he was the Arizona head coach and they would just let teams go on massive time consuming drives without offering any sort of resistance although a lot of that blame went to Al Holcomb who was the DC back then.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Crown:
Held an NFL team to 16 points.

Dont cry.

Agreed. I'm thinking long term. It's obvious they can play even better imo, that's the thinking. I believe Wilks is feeling them out as much as they are him etc. I expect and hope it to settle in as the season goes.

This is what I'm thinking. They definitely can be better, but the fire him talk is absurd.

It's absurd because it zero chance of Wilks being fired this season or the next. It is a total waste of time to even bring it up. In the grand scheme of things, our defense is find outside of CB and maybe another DE that can actually get reasonable pressure.

Each year teams work at exposing the weakness of players and teams. Amber Thomas was at one time believed to be a promising young CB his rookie season, but he has been studied and exposed. Lenoir who isn't bad, but speed against is his Achilles heel.

Bottom line is the team is good enough to contend for a Super Bowl but need something more in the form of a player. I believe they will get that done by the trade deadline
Originally posted by Ark49er:

Dont cry.

Agreed. I'm thinking long term. It's obvious they can play even better imo, that's the thinking. I believe Wilks is feeling them out as much as they are him etc. I expect and hope it to settle in as the season goes.

This is what I'm thinking. They definitely can be better, but the fire him talk is absurd.

It's absurd because it zero chance of Wilks being fired this season or the next. It is a total waste of time to even bring it up. In the grand scheme of things, our defense is find outside of CB and maybe another DE that can actually get reasonable pressure.

Each year teams work at exposing the weakness of players and teams. Amber Thomas was at one time believed to be a promising young CB his rookie season, but he has been studied and exposed. Lenoir who isn't bad, but speed against is his Achilles heel.

Bottom line is the team is good enough to contend for a Super Bowl but need something more in the form of a player. I believe they will get that done by the trade deadline

Yeah I don't know who said to fire him that's just 15 year old talk imo. Cb2 is def a weak spot. We can use more depth and speed there.
On the bright side he won't be getting HC interviews anytime soon.

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Dont cry.

agree with you both.
Hopefully he can just keep the opposing offenses scoring 21 points or less. I think we are safe if he can do that.

Dont cry.

It was a game we could have easily lost where Brock through a single incompletion. It was a 1 score game in the third quarter and he is the first DC to allow a 99 yard drive in 20 years....

Either our defense is vastly overrated or he's just not that good. We are going to have significant problems the second Brock even half falters...
He basically said I won't let them beat us on big plays, but I'll give you multiple 8-10 play long td drives.

[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Oct 1, 2023 at 7:02 PM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
He basically said I won't let them beat us on big plays, but I'll give you multiple 8-10 play long td drives.

AINT that Jim Moran Jr style of D?
Share 49ersWebzone