There are 288 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
we are giving up 14.5 ppg which is best of KS era

Also the Rams & Cardinals are far better than anyone predicted. We are in a very competitive division.
It's like I'm in some bizarro world where we are top 5 yds and points against, and everyone is b*******g

They've faced Kenny Pickett, Daniel Jones and Josh Dobbs in 3 of their 4 games. They haven't faced any elite receivers thus far. Seeing them give up two massive drives to the Cardinals, including a 99 yarder was disconcerting.

They never gave up a drive that long under Erickson, Nolan or Singletary. You're fooling yourself if you think this defense is in a great place. A Mahomes or Josh Allen would tear them up right now.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's like I'm in some bizarro world where we are top 5 yds and points against, and everyone is b*******g

They've faced Kenny Pickett, Daniel Jones and Josh Dobbs in 3 of their 4 games. They haven't faced any elite receivers thus far. Seeing them give up two massive drives to the Cardinals, including a 99 yarder was disconcerting.

They never gave up a drive that long under Erickson, Nolan or Singletary. You're fooling yourself if you think this defense is in a great place. A Mahomes or Josh Allen would tear them up right now.

Let's refocus this a bit, Pickett was supposedly making the leap after his August, Jones was a bounceback player who got his team to the playoffs and Div Round
Arizona, is well, Arizona, yet they punked DAL, and nearly beat NYG and WAS.

I consider D Johnson, Pickens, as pretty solid. Moore and Brown can get you if you are not careful. And we faced and lived to tell about it, Puka. We faced Matty S let's not leave him out.

Let's refocus this a bit, Pickett was supposedly making the leap after his August, Jones was a bounceback player who got his team to the playoffs and Div Round
Arizona, is well, Arizona, yet they punked DAL, and nearly beat NYG and WAS.

I consider D Johnson, Pickens, as pretty solid. Moore and Brown can get you if you are not careful. And we faced and lived to tell about it, Puka. We faced Matty S let's not leave him out.

EYES don't lie.. and and up to this point, our D has only been SOLID at best..

if one is feeling GREAT about our defense, then those BLINDERS are back on.. 6 was actually running on us yesterday, and THE SCIENTIST also made some good run...

so far, Wilks had taken a SOLID BLUE PRINT of Jim Moran Jr D!!
One issue I see with the philosophy of "never get beat deep but let them dink and dunk" is that the defense ends up being on the field for a long time and hence gets tired. This is especially true for teams that can run the ball. Converting third downs can be demoralizing.
  • thl408
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
One issue I see with the philosophy of "never get beat deep but let them dink and dunk" is that the defense ends up being on the field for a long time and hence gets tired. This is especially true for teams that can run the ball. Converting third downs can be demoralizing.

It seems Wilks adopts that philosophy on 1st and 2nd downs, then cranks up the aggression (blitz/press man) on 3rd downs.
Originally posted by thl408:
It seems Wilks adopts that philosophy on 1st and 2nd downs, then cranks up the aggression (blitz/press man) on 3rd downs.

Need to work on the press part on 3rd downs.
Originally posted by 9moon:
EYES don't lie.. and and up to this point, our D has only been SOLID at best..

if one is feeling GREAT about our defense, then those BLINDERS are back on.. 6 was actually running on us yesterday, and THE SCIENTIST also made some good run...

so far, Wilks had taken a SOLID BLUE PRINT of Jim Moran Jr D!!

I'm feeling great. It's more than likely the best front seven in the game.

and a guy who specializes in coverage and DB play to coach up that back end as we go forward.

Maybe.....

Or maybe they throw interceptions, lord knows neither Mahomes or Allen has been ultra safe this year.

Maybe we have some faith they revert back to their normal levels as QBs, but it is hard to have faith in that then assume the 49ers defense ALSO can't revert back to their normal levels of play over the last several years.

We will see when we get a dog fight and the defense HAS to draw a line in the sand. Right now like clockwork the offense keeps giving the defense a 30 point cushion every game.

I dont hope for a 10-6 game any time soon, but I dont think it is out of the realm of possibility that the play calling and mindset of the defense would be different if they HAD to fight for every inch on the field every down or they loose. In that sense Phoenix is 100% correct, the defense is not in a great place. It is the DCs job to keep them engaged and motivated and to make the right call at the right time.

If the defense can shut down the other team when the SHTF but let's Arizona march up and down the field....that is on the DC.

Who knows tho.....

This whole thing might be in the teams season long plans. For all we know they have only shown what they want to show, maybe letting Zona march down the field was 4d chess to get stuff on film to effect Dallas....I have no idea...

We didn't spy much, we didn't blitz much, I dont recall a single 5 man line....could all be a set up for teams later on in the season.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
The Raiders put 34 points on the Defense week 17 last year, the best defense in the league. And Jarrett Stidham was playing his first game as the starter for the Raiders.
The Lions put 33 points week one two years ago on DeMeco's first game as the DC.
I bet you lot of people were concerned about DeMeco after four games two years ago.
DeMeco adjusted and was better and better and better game after game.
I'm sure Steve Wilks is capable of making adjustements during the course of the season.
And by the way the Defense is still 3rd overall in points per game and 5th in yards allowed.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Oct 2, 2023 at 12:31 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Might need a better CB2 for that.
Originally posted by pdc20:
The Raiders put 34 points on the Defense week 17 last year, the best defense in the league. And Jarrett Stidham was playing his first game as the starter for the Raiders.
The Lions put 33 points week one two years ago on DeMeco's first game as the DC.
I bet you lot of people were concerned about DeMeco after four games two years ago.
I'm sure Steve Wilks is capable of making adjustements during the course of the season.
And by the way the Defense is still 3rd overall in points per game and 5th in yards allowed.

ppl whine about em while the game is being played then after the season results are in and it says we are #1 they are like wow, we can't lose this guy!

ppl whine about em while the game is being played then after the season results are in and it says we are #1 they are like wow, we can't lose this guy!
stay out of the gameday threads !
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

stay out of the gameday threads !

I try to stay away. Those threads are PHD material for psychology majors lol.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Might need a better CB2 for that.

Right. That's the thing with man coverage - you're only as good as your weakest man coverage defender.
Share 49ersWebzone